Golf in and around North Yorkshire

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi,

A few pals and I are coming across to the North Yorkshire / Richmond area later in the year for a weekend and we're looking for a couple of rounds of golf around there on the Saturday and Sunday.
I'm looking for recommendations please as I don't know the area at all.

From Google Maps it looks as though these are the closest courses around that way:

- Appleby golf Club
- Romanby Golf Club
- Hall Garth Golf Club
- Ineos Golf Club
- Barnard Castle
- Blackwell Grange
- Richmond Golf Club
- The Darlington

As it's a trip cost doesn't really come into it - we'd rather pay more for a decent track than less for somewhere ***.

Any advice please from people who are from there, or have played the courses in that area?

Thank you.

Grizzly

Visit site
Darlington is a great track, really top notch. I'd also give a shout to Bedale GC - played there as a Junior many years ago, and it will be great now the layout has had time to bed in.

D

Deleted member 16999

Maybe take a look at Rockliffe Hall, none of those you listed are “stand out” courses, Richmond and Darlington are probably the top 2, the rest are your normal everyday Clubs, decent welcomes etc. imo

Depending on were you are staying you’ve got Ramside, Brancepath and Wynyard 15-20 minutes further North and better than those listed.

Obviously around Leeds/Harrogate you’ve got quality courses as well, but possibly a little bit further South than those listed.

More towards the coast you’ve got Scarborough as well.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Hi,

A few pals and I are coming across to the North Yorkshire / Richmond area later in the year for a weekend and we're looking for a couple of rounds of golf around there on the Saturday and Sunday.

From Google Maps it looks as though these are the closest courses around that way:

- Appleby golf Club
- Romanby Golf Club
- Hall Garth Golf Club
- Ineos Golf Club
- Barnard Castle
- Blackwell Grange
- Richmond Golf Club
- The Darlington

As it's a trip cost doesn't really come into it - we'd rather pay more for a decent track than less for somewhere ***.

Any advice please from people who are from there, or have played the courses in that area?

Thank you.
Avoid Hall Garth and Ineos, imo. Hall Garth can be very scruffy.

I have a lot of time for Blackwell Grange, played a lot of golf there and it’s great value.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Richmond is a good fun course, I'd happily be a member there if I lived nearby. Last time I was there some of the members recommended Catterick. I haven't played it but might be worth looking at.

A bit further down, Ripon has a good reputation.

Pauldj42 makes a very point about going a little more north. Going the other way you could look at Oakdale (Harrogate), and Knaresbrough. Both are excellent.

The tough part is getting on a Saturday, your choices there may be limited.

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've always heard good things about Ganton and Rockliffe Hall

Moortown, Slaley Hall and Fulford could be a tad far for you?

I've not heard anything specifically about the other clubs mentioned

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
Have you considered Ganton?

We'll consider anywhere that's fairly close to be honest.

Maybe take a look at Rockliffe Hall, none of those you listed are “stand out” courses, Richmond and Darlington are probably the top 2, the rest are your normal everyday Clubs, decent welcomes etc. imo

Depending on were you are staying you’ve got Ramside, Brancepath and Wynyard 15-20 minutes further North and better than those listed.

Rockliffe , Wynyard or Brancpeth could be a good shout.
To be honest we're coming from Newcastle way so have played Ramside tons of times.

The tough part is getting on a Saturday, your choices there may be limited.

To be honest this was one of our thoughts too, so it would be good to hear from people who know if we could get a teetime on a Saturday / Sunday

D

Deleted member 16999

We'll consider anywhere that's fairly close to be honest.

Rockliffe , Wynyard or Brancpeth could be a good shout.
To be honest we're coming from Newcastle way so have played Ramside tons of times.

To be honest this was one of our thoughts too, so it would be good to hear from people who know if we could get a teetime on a Saturday / Sunday
As you’re coming south I’d definitely reccommend the Leeds/Harrogate area or if you are not staying then Seaton Carew/Redcar are decent links courses.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can get on Knaresbrough on a Sunday, after 10am I think from memory, possibly 11. The others I would not know, you may have to get on to a few clubs to ask.

I don't think Sunday would be a problem for you. Saturday may be okay if you are happy to play later on in the day but that will be the tricky one. That may be where a Rockcliffe or Wynyard come into it. In my mind they would not be full of members and so the course should not be closed out to comps (this could be a complete misconception by the way).

Post up where you choose, always interesting to see.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi,

I don't know the weekend availability but Cleveland (Redcar) is the only real links course in Yorkshire and regularly hosts Yorkshire events (including the matchplay Championships a couple of years ago). Well worth it if you can get a time.

NearHull

Visit site
Richmond is a bit quirky where a couple of holes have been lengthened where you play the tee shot over previous green, caused a bit of ‘group sequencing’ issues. Catterick is a very good course, proved very difficult in wind. Rockliffe is good, though I think a bit overpriced.

Zig

Visit site
Three to play and have a fab time at.

Darlington - mature parkland, McKenzie greens, not too long, very friendly clubhouse. Fab. The type of inland course you'd describe as 'quaint' and happily be a member of. Play instead of Richmond.
Romanby - decent layout on old farmland. Rockcliffe without the glitz. Play it rather than Blackwell Grange (which is the old Stressholme municipal).
Rockcliffe - resort style golf, five star service. Good afternoon out - play on a twilight for decent rates. Play it instead of Wynyard (which is also very good).

And, if you don't mind being in the car a little longer.

Spoil yourself with top class golf. Three besties! An old architect masterclass:
To the north... Seaton Carew - the best links course you'll find in the NE. (Biased as I'm a member - full disclosure!) :)
To the south... Alwoodley. McKenzie masterpiece. Not a weak hole.
To the east... Ganton. The best of the lot. Soak it up - time warp and class course. Sheer simplicity. Sunningdale of the North (but a better kept secret)!

Enjoy wherever you end up visiting!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Zig thanks for that post. I've never even considered Darlington or Romanby before, I don't know the courses very well in that area. I will try at least one of them this summer as an alternative to others I've played before.

Reactions: Zig

Zig

Visit site
@Zig thanks for that post. I've never even considered Darlington or Romanby before, I don't know the courses very well in that area. I will try at least one of them this summer as an alternative to others I've played before.
No problem, you're welcome. And if Seaton is on your way up/down, and I'm not at work, I'll happily host :)