Golf in and around North Yorkshire

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven't played at Ripon, but I've only heard good things from a lot of the people I play with. What's your beef with them?

Not them, the course and the bluddy flies. Jesus H. We were following round in a massive black cloud by them. We looked like Pig Pen from Charlie Brown. I kid you not. We washed millions off us in the shower afterwards. Blurg, makes my flesh creep even now. And tough? The course was really tough. Blind tee shots. Impossible par threes. Not a place to go if you want a nice day golfing. You really need to know the course to have a chance of scoring well. Also it's not too clear how to get from the first green to the 2nd. We ended up playing the back nine first.

The members were lovely though. Cracking clubhouse with a beautiful balcony over looking the 18th I think. But.....we will not be returning. The wife didn't even play the 18th, she'd given up as we were near the car park. I said I'll stop too, to which she replied " you bluddy will not, you'll play it and we will never have to come here again". LOL....well not at the time....

Mandofred

Visit site
Not them, the course and the bluddy flies. Jesus H. We were following round in a massive black cloud by them. We looked like Pig Pen from Charlie Brown. I kid you not. We washed millions off us in the shower afterwards. Blurg, makes my flesh creep even now. And tough? The course was really tough. Blind tee shots. Impossible par threes. Not a place to go if you want a nice day golfing. You really need to know the course to have a chance of scoring well. Also it's not too clear how to get from the first green to the 2nd. We ended up playing the back nine first.

The members were lovely though. Cracking clubhouse with a beautiful balcony over looking the 18th I think. But.....we will not be returning. The wife didn't even play the 18th, she'd given up as we were near the car park. I said I'll stop too, to which she replied " you bluddy will not, you'll play it and we will never have to come here again". LOL....well not at the time....
What time of the year was that? We get the biting flies at Knaresborough in June.....but no clouds of them.

TheDoctor

Club Champion
Visit site
I would avoid Hallgarth, Ineos and Darlington like the plague - played a team match at Darlington recently and the greens were terrible, even the Darlington players have said it is shocking

I haven't played Blackwell since it moved over the road and took over at Stressholme but apparently they have done work on the course

Another one to consider in the area is Dinsdale - I am a member there and the new owners have done a lot of work on the course and it is in excellent condition compared to a few years ago

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another one to consider in the area is Dinsdale - I am a member there and the new owners have done a lot of work on the course and it is in excellent condition compared to a few years ago
I played at Dinsdale in an open a few weeks ago. There were a few holes where we struggled to work out where the next hole was. If you have a suggestion box, or know someone on the committee, then a few on course signs wouldn't go amiss ?. We weren't the only ones to have this issue incidentally.

TheDoctor

Club Champion
Visit site
I played at Dinsdale in an open a few weeks ago. There were a few holes where we struggled to work out where the next hole was. If you have a suggestion box, or know someone on the committee, then a few on course signs wouldn't go amiss ?. We weren't the only ones to have this issue incidentally.
Yeah, at the moment all signs have been taken down as part of the work going on but I expect they will be replaced - I will mention it though when I am there at the weekend (y)

I am guessing your issue would have been from the 8th green to 9th tee, then from 17th green to 18th tee? Both of those have caught visitors out as you have to cross the road, and from the 8th green there is a tee for a little par 3 next to it that is used by those playing the 9 hole alternative course so it confuses people when they look at the card and see the 9th is a par 5