Golf in a warmer clime and the trials of the hired set of clubs

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just back from Tunisia, well not quite, I got back last Wednesday and have been freezing ever since. Having to get back to work after 10 straight days of lazing round a pool in temperatures of up to 30, is all a bit too much. Especially as this evenings game was called off 'cos the club's shut - again!

For the first time on our joint holiday I got a round of golf (not that she's been averse to me playing - leave her by the pool and she's happy). Played El Kantaoui GC, hard not to as it was less than 10 minutes walk from my hotel. Two 18's to choose from, a Par 72 and a 73, and both with some interesting holes, and both seriously under used. Not that cheap though, with club and trolley hire it cost around £80 (high season prices - gets cheaper if you book two rounds).

Bumped into three guys from Norfolk (Steve, Jamie and John) who invited me to join them in a buggy so the trolley was ditched pdq. We played the Panorama course as the Sea course had two temporary greens. Hardly a straight hole to be seen, lots of dog-legs and several of a good length. Two interesting holes, one where you drive across a chasm and the other a driveable par 4 over a lake - if you're a big hitter, the carry over the lake is 250 metres plus (it's around 400 m the long way).

Greens weren't as quick as I thought they would be but rolled well and for once it seemed I could putt. Drove well too with the hired Callaway once I got used to the massive lump on the end of the handle.
But there endeth the good stuff - the irons were graphite-shaft Big Berthas and I have to ask Callaway one question - why on earth did you make such b awful sticks? Just what is the point of the massive offset? and the bucket shovel head - what's that about? Honestly I've seen smaller JCBs. Trying to get the things to move a ball in a straightish line, well I never did work it out.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to ask Callaway one question - why on earth did you make such b awful sticks? Just what is the point of the massive offset? and the bucket shovel head - what's that about? Honestly I've seen smaller JCBs. Trying to get the things to move a ball in a straightish line, well I never did work it out.

Some people need all the help they can get. I take it you had no real choice in hire clubs then?

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
the company that Paul McGinley is affiliated to, clubstohire.com or something is worth using. i got some nice current r9's in excellent condition when i went to portugal, pick up and drop off at the airport, definitely the way to go if you don't want to ship clubs with you...

only problem was the spider putter... i can only use a blade putter, the big head made me feel like i was trying to take a penalty kick with an orthopedic shoe...

dotty001

Challenge Tour Pro
www.quidco.com
happened to me in Mexico , hired some callaway diablos

now the driver i murdered straight and long everytime , wanted to take it home with me!

the irons OMG i literally couldn't hit absolutely shocking sticks

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Am thinking of hiring in Portugal when I go on a family holiday at the end of July so will be interested to see what I get. Doubt it will make a lot of difference though...I'm pretty awful at times with my own clubs.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Any idea's what ratio of the clubs for hire overseas are replicas (for want of a better word)

I've actually seen it written onto webpage offering the hire service