Golf grips

evemccc

Visit site
How often do you change your iron/wedge grips?

Have you felt any big differences between the Golf Pride (which seem to totally dominate the market) grips on the market?

Which grips do you use?

It's clearly not an exciting thing to think about or buy, but I think it's fairly important.....I have a wedge which I just can't get on with and I've convinced myself that it's the Lamkin grip (which I hate) that's to blame..

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I have used various, I quite like Lamkin but my favourite were Champ. But sadly they no longer make them so I bought an extra pack as a reserve. Generally I change them about once every couple of years.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I change them when I think I need to or when they're obviously getting worn or damaged.
Or if I just fancy a change.
Usually use GP multi compound, not the +4.
Not convinced I need Align grips.
In the past I've found Sharpro and Karma grips to be OK but a bit thin..
Lamkin are good too
Not a huge fan of the bog standard Tour Velvet though..

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
GP Multi compound +4 mid size, change the whole bag at once usually when they need it, no fixed time just judge based on how much they have worn

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Tend to change my wedge grips the most as I have done a lot of short game work in 2019 and as and when last year. Got the whole set re-gripped out of my winning for a club major so shouldn't need to do them for the forseeable

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Years and years. Until they go smooth.

I have some Lamkin and some Golf Pride, it depends which ones I like when I go into the shop.

It's definitely the grip, change it ?

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How often do you change your iron/wedge grips?

Have you felt any big differences between the Golf Pride (which seem to totally dominate the market) grips on the market?

Which grips do you use?

It's clearly not an exciting thing to think about or buy, but I think it's fairly important.....I have a wedge which I just can't get on with and I've convinced myself that it's the Lamkin grip (which I hate) that's to blame..

I must admit, I’ve recently had a lamkin grip fitted for my driver and 3 wood. It maybe the cheaper version, but I prefer golf pride

D

Deleted member 15344

Change mine once a year

Have used Lamkins for years - Crossline 360

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I clean my grips to make them last longer, had the same ones on for about 4 years now, same period between last re-grippings but were used a lot more between 2012 and 2016. Prior to that they still had original grips from 2007 which did wear down.

Tend to do PW-5 only as those show the most wear, not had cause to do anything else yet as they look way better once all are cleaned up, the life and grip nearly always comes back to them.

Had the putter done a few years back as the old grip was almost wearing through! Loving the "new" one.

I will give them a pre-season clean and scrub with a sturdy brush as usual and see if they need a change but I doubt it, probably another year at least.

The Fader

Visit site
I use brand cheap-as-chips, cost a pound or so a grip.

Rotating club sets, I put very little wear on any grips over a year.

This!

I play at least 4 times a week (in normal times!!) and the grips I buy on ebay from a guy in Ireland last a couple of seasons. Not really noticed any difference betweem these and the likes of
Lamkin or Golf Pride.

My son recently paid his pro £130 to regrip his full set. To my mind that sort of cash buys 4 dozen decent balls or a new wedge.

I know what I would rather spend my hard earned on

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Golf Pride multi compound midsize. Have tried others but always come back to these. Tend to change them every one to two years depending on wear. Usually buy the grips as cheap as I can, and change them out myself, or get wege junior to do them.

i*windows

Visit site
I used to do my grips every year but changed to Tacki Mac itomic 2, midsize with 4 layers of tape on the top. These are terrific grips and last for ages.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
All my grips are now tour velvet plus 4. Really like them. Don't like corded grips and the mcc ones do not last long, going hard at the bottom quite quickly.
Change driver most often - every year.
The original Ping ones on my i25 irons were still decent after 4 years.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
This!

I play at least 4 times a week (in normal times!!) and the grips I buy on ebay from a guy in Ireland last a couple of seasons. Not really noticed any difference betweem these and the likes of
Lamkin or Golf Pride.

My son recently paid his pro £130 to regrip his full set. To my mind that sort of cash buys 4 dozen decent balls or a new wedge.

I know what I would rather spend my hard earned on

The only contact point between you and the golf ball. I'd rather new grips too ;)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just change as needed but I will change all the irons at same time time so they are the same except that I often buy more grips that I need so can change the more used grips as they wear out more quickly eg wedge and 6 iron.

No allegiance to any make and often by overrun logo grips . My personal preference is Tour Velvet style.

I will say that Golf Pride Tour Velvet do give a longer life than no brand makes but the cost is more than 3 times of the cheaper no brand I have used.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never change mine. The only time I've ever had a grip changed is when I bought one second hand and it came with a thicker than standard grip on, or one of those align one which I hate. Then I just get them changed for a bog standard Golf Pride one. My irons came with corded grips on when I bought them second hand three years ago, they're pretty good. Never changed them. I guess I don't care about grips much unless it's a fat grip that makes it feel like a baseball bat. ?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use mcc+4 on everything but if I am trying something I will buy a few grips to try .. I am a grip tart. Then when I find something better I will seriously contemplate changing the lot.