Golf Fitness and Flexibility

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Having seen a few people pick up on the me and my golf flexibility videos off the trial on the other thread I thought I’d start a dedicated thread as I can’t see one on here.

I‘ve just started week one of the me and my Golf Flexibility course and just invested in the superspeed sticks to see what I can enhance this year. Is anyone else trying this or come across any good golf specific videos on you tube for fitness, flexibility and core strength? I started to watch Golfwod but he seems to always start by warming up on expensive pieces of kit which, other than the speed sticks, I don’t want to venture into.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Fitness and Flexibility. Both of those are F- words at this stage of my life. I'm about as flexible as a brick. I play riding a cart (buggy?) because I've already given my dog a nice walk. I also do multiple sets of curls with dumbells, but that's only because my endocrinologist says that it helps with my blood sugar levels. Being actually "fit" is something I remember about my early thirties. OK, maybe twenties.

As I keep reminding you, the food is both good and, by global standards, reasonably cheap in America. I'm a walking testament to that.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Fitness and Flexibility. Both of those are F- words at this stage of my life. I'm about as flexible as a brick. I play riding a cart (buggy?) because I've already given my dog a nice walk. I also do multiple sets of curls with dumbells, but that's only because my endocrinologist says that it helps with my blood sugar levels. Being actually "fit" is something I remember about my early thirties. OK, maybe twenties.

As I keep reminding you, the food is both good and, by global standards, reasonably cheap in America. I'm a walking testament to that.
Haha. The Miguel angel jiminez view to life

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
@fit_for_golf on twitter is brilliant. Admittedly if you want full access to his 12 week program there is a charge (100% worth it in my opinion) but he also posts loads of great free content.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This body is too late for any help. That said I am looking to re-visit my Pilates for Golf book HID bought me. I am thinking though that as long as I can make a reasonable turn and get through the ball properly I'll stick to that. I'd rather have decent set up and posture and let technique dictate. Fitness definitely a non-starter and with so many niggles and pains flexibility would be the only thing I'd invest in. Chances are I'd injure myself further with speedsticks and not sure at their RRP they are worth an investment

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
@fit_for_golf on twitter is brilliant. Admittedly if you want full access to his 12 week program there is a charge (100% worth it in my opinion) but he also posts loads of great free content.

He does post some good stuff but there'a a lot of 'waffle', unfollowed him when he started speculating if someone had roid rage :rolleyes:

AdamW

Visit site
TPI provides a crazy amount of free info on stretches and strengthening (use the advanced filters for your goals): http://www.mytpi.com/exercises/#filter?area=fitness&page=1

Like the quick 10 mins yoga routines from golf with Aimee

These guys are good also: https://www.instagram.com/pro_fitgolf/?hl=en

If you have not all ready got them would recommend yoga blocks + foam roller at the small investment.

Think flexibility is seriously underrated and tightness can cause a lot of compensation issues in the swing, great thread (y)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yoga is the answer! Made a massive difference to me. I stopped struggling and being in pain. My core strength improved and my flexibility especially my shoulder to hip twist. I did gain yardage as well, not sure where it came from. I started shooting level par rounds as well.
The biggest benefit was not having any back pain for a day and half afterwards.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yoga is the answer! Made a massive difference to me. I stopped struggling and being in pain. My core strength improved and my flexibility especially my shoulder to hip twist. I did gain yardage as well, not sure where it came from. I started shooting level par rounds as well.

THIS without doubt, I'm a big Yoga fan. Admittedly I only do it once a week, but it's fantastic. I also do a stretch at home before I play, prevention better than cure

AdamW

Visit site

How often do you go to Yoga?

Do you go to a class or just watch random Youtube routines?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
IMO good yoga instructors are a rare beast.
That's an understatement. I used to go to yoga class and 'teachers' don't even know that yoga means union with god.
What is advertised as yoga is not yoga, or at best it's a very simplified form of it, or just plain Pilates.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How often do you go to Yoga?

Do you go to a class or just watch random Youtube routines?
I don’t do classes now because I cannot find a hot yoga place.
So I settled with some of the more basic moves that free up my leg muscles ..
I was doing hot yoga once a week. Initially it was quite stressful and I remember struggling massively but after a few weeks it became easier and I could get deeper into the stretches. The body felt great the next day .. but not initially!

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
This body is too late for any help. That said I am looking to re-visit my Pilates for Golf book HID bought me. I am thinking though that as long as I can make a reasonable turn and get through the ball properly I'll stick to that. I'd rather have decent set up and posture and let technique dictate. Fitness definitely a non-starter and with so many niggles and pains flexibility would be the only thing I'd invest in. Chances are I'd injure myself further with speedsticks and not sure at their RRP they are worth an investment
Pilates is awesome for golf!

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
TPI provides a crazy amount of free info on stretches and strengthening (use the advanced filters for your goals): http://www.mytpi.com/exercises/#filter?area=fitness&page=1

Like the quick 10 mins yoga routines from golf with Aimee

These guys are good also: https://www.instagram.com/pro_fitgolf/?hl=en

If you have not all ready got them would recommend yoga blocks + foam roller at the small investment.

Think flexibility is seriously underrated and tightness can cause a lot of compensation issues in the swing, great thread (y)
Or do you just like watching Aimee?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I don’t do classes now because I cannot find a hot yoga place.
So I settled with some of the more basic moves that free up my leg muscles ..
I was doing hot yoga once a week. Initially it was quite stressful and I remember struggling massively but after a few weeks it became easier and I could get deeper into the stretches. The body felt great the next day .. but not initially!
Sounds obvious but what’s the difference?