Golf Epiphany.

robbeh32

Visit site
Got told by a friend to try flattening the wrist during my swing instead of cupping and my word what a difference. Felt weird at first but my shots are flying much further and even drawing now. I'm sure I'll develop another fault now but shot my lowest score of 86 today. Well chuffed and for something so simple to make me hit the ball better!

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
I have this exact issue and am working on correcting it.
Did you find it easy to correct? How did you do it? I'm struggling with "feel versus real' at the moment. Are there any drills, tips, etc that I can do to help?

Thank you,

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Got told by a friend to try flattening the wrist during my swing instead of cupping and my word what a difference. Felt weird at first but my shots are flying much further and even drawing now. I'm sure I'll develop another fault now but shot my lowest score of 86 today. Well chuffed and for something so simple to make me hit the ball better!

Do you mean keep a straight wrist (dead wrist), not allowing the wrist to bend? That's how my pro has been pushing me - I tend to let the left wrist fold back during the swing, which contributes to a nasty over swing and serious loss of power. Keeping the wrist dead, which looks really closed at the top of the swing, helps reduce my overswing, allows me to drop the club inside on the down swing, which also reduces the horrible loop at the top of my backswing, and increases the power in the shot significantly, with a nice draw.

Last edited:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
This is the "bowed" wrist versus "cupped" wrist question.
Look them up on YouTube and IIRC bowed wrist is the modern thinking, though I did read that Hogan bowed a bit at he too of the swing which helped him lay the club back-
Dunno, it's what suits. I do know that if you can swing with a bowed wrist(
It's quite uncomfortable for some, including me) it does close the face and steepens the lofts. It also induces a draw ( or hook?)
Spieth uses it, and Johnson.
I do wonder where Johnsons hits would end up if he didn't use it. Seems to counteract a slice swing.?

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
If you're struggling with the left wrist feel .... try the opposite with the right wrist extend it

i'd also think about tension i know when i'm working on something i have the habit of tightening up i.e grip pressure