Golf Empire - Charging for advanced search function

The Fader

Visit site
Just logged onto Golf Empire to search for a local open to play in. Been a registered user for some time. Today I can't access the advanced search function without paying for an upgrade.

When did this happen? I don't remember receiving a notification of this change.

It's only £4.99 p.a (discounted from £19.99) but I do feel this is a bit cheeky to introduce a charge for viewers of the site.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
It was only a matter of time once they introduced the registration process.

I live on the county border and have the choice to play at clubs in about four or five counties within an hours drive, it does make it a little tedious but have found alternatives.

The Fader

Visit site
why a bit cheeky? why shouldnt a company charge for its product and search functions? you can still use most of the site for free

if you dont want to pay it search manually

Because it is a virtual marketplace advertising / selling product. I can't off the top of my head think of anywhere else I pay to search for something I might want to buy.

For example - holiday cottages, concert tickets, car leasing

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Noticed yesterday, I paid the £4.99 but really can’t understand why im paying to click on a link to golf club website. ? I’ve booked all the ones I want to play this year. I won’t be paying again. I’ll just think of the courses I want to play and enter through the clubs website.
Funnily enough you didn’t have to register at all at one point.

No really, why have I actually paid it?!

golfempire

www.golfempire.co.uk
Just logged onto Golf Empire to search for a local open to play in. Been a registered user for some time. Today I can't access the advanced search function without paying for an upgrade.

When did this happen? I don't remember receiving a notification of this change.

It's only £4.99 p.a (discounted from £19.99) but I do feel this is a bit cheeky to introduce a charge for viewers of the site.

After a lot of deliberation we introduced it on Wednesday.

Like others have said every event (over 10,000) is completely accessible for free on the website still, just like it always has been... for the last 23 years!

The "Advanced Search Area", which really is a fantastic tool to filter & drill down to find events, is an option which we feel is worth a small fee for the convenience. Some will no doubt disagree.

In many ways we have created a bit of a monster because we are charged on a 'per search' basis which is unfortunately unsustainable going forwards... so it came down to either having the feature and making a small charge for those who think it's worth it or not have it all.

(Ed)

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We all have a choice. I think Golf Empire is an excellent site and has made booking Opens so easy. There was a Scottish Golf app from a few years ago, cannot remember the name, which was nowhere near as good.

Less than 10p per week if you want it

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We all have a choice. I think Golf Empire is an excellent site and has made booking Opens so easy. There was a Scottish Golf app from a few years ago, cannot remember the name, which was nowhere near as good.

Less than 10p per week if you want it
In Scotland the Wee yellow book is still an option @ £7+PP, I think they also have an online version.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
It's a good tool. I was happy to spend a fiver to get the search by date function. I'm often trying to fill gaps in my calendar between club comps so this is definitely worth the price of a pint.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In many ways we have created a bit of a monster because we are charged on a 'per search' basis
Just curious, what services are you using to deliver this search that are charged per “action”? Something on AWS?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
After a lot of deliberation we introduced it on Wednesday.

Like others have said every event (over 10,000) is completely accessible for free on the website still, just like it always has been... for the last 23 years!

The "Advanced Search Area", which really is a fantastic tool to filter & drill down to find events, is an option which we feel is worth a small fee for the convenience. Some will no doubt disagree.

In many ways we have created a bit of a monster because we are charged on a 'per search' basis which is unfortunately unsustainable going forwards... so it came down to either having the feature and making a small charge for those who think it's worth it or not have it all.

(Ed)
GE, I subscribed last year, I haven't renewed. The search function is not good enough.

For example team events, I would like to search Am-Ams only as Scrambles are now a farce under WHS, but that's not possible. The date search function is a nightmare to filter properly. There were other issues but as I don't have premium anymore I forget what they were. The idea is good, and if it worked well I'd pay for it, but it doesn't.