Golf easier for Women, or not?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I didn't watch it but surley talking about statistics for whole sets of gender is a bit pointless no?

Is Lin Grant a big hitter on the LPGA? If she is then she may possibly have an advantage over the field, that's not a gender thing, just like big hitters on the PGA will hold an advantage on the longest courses over their rivals.

We could get bogged down in the minutia of stats and meanings or we could just celebrate a good win, regardless of who it was or what gender they may be

D

Deleted member 1147

I didn't watch it but surley talking about statistics for whole sets of gender is a bit pointless no?

Is Lin Grant a big hitter on the LPGA? If she is then she may possibly have an advantage over the field, that's not a gender thing, just like big hitters on the PGA will hold an advantage on the longest courses over their rivals.

We could get bogged down in the minutia of stats and meanings or we could just celebrate a good win, regardless of who it was or what gender they may be
I think I read somewhere that she averages 250 from the tee

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Whether golf is easier for our top lass I don’t know, but she’s certainly mastered the game better than every bloke in the club…after all her CH is -7. Could she beat every plus hcap bloke off the gents back tees. She could and most probably regularly would. And she can almost certainly hit the ball pretty much as far as them, her approach play would be the ‘killer’.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Seems like Foxy is one that can't.....:whistle:
I've absolutely no issue getting beaten (or even walloped, as has happened multiple times) in actual, or even virtually equal contests - Billiards, Snooker and some Equestrian activities being examples of the former; Tennis and other Equestrian activities being examples of the latter.
But manufacturing an 'equivalent' course by having separate tees is NOT equality! It may be some sort of 'equivalence', but it's actually an admission of inequality!
It's no different, imo, to playing a Club Scratch, or even Handicap, match against a Lady off our separate tees!

So 'equivalent' contest, maybe. But 'equal' contest - by definition, a resounding 'No'!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've absolutely no issue getting beaten (or even walloped, as has happened multiple times) in actual, or even virtually equal contests - Billiards, Snooker and some Equestrian activities being examples of the former; Tennis and other Equestrian activities being examples of the latter.
But manufacturing an 'equivalent' course by having separate tees is NOT equality! It may be some sort of 'equivalence', but it's actually an admission of inequality!
It's no different, imo, to playing a Club Scratch, or even Handicap, match against a Lady off our separate tees!

So 'equivalent' contest, maybe. But 'equal' contest - by definition, a resounding 'No'!
Would they be better off denying inequality and trying to claim that the female players can easily hit it as far as the men? I'm struggling to understand your point.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Back to statistics, im not sure if there are any for the let/lpga, but if you know the distance for the mens hole, then you know the strokes gained. If theres a strokes gained dataset for the women, you just make them play whatever distance is 'equivalent' to the mens. There would be individual holes where this would favour one or the other, but over the course of a few events it should even out.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Would they be better off denying inequality and trying to claim that the female players can easily hit it as far as the men? I'm struggling to understand your point.
And I yours!
Re the bit you emboldened.....To be 'equal' the course would have to be the same for both sexes. This was clearly not the case, but was manufactured to be, supposedly, 'equivalent'.
Plenty of opportunity for women to compete equally in many sports/pastimes, but wherever strength is a major factor, there will never be an equal contest at the top level.

peld

Visit site
my thoughts
Positive
- not seen any of the pro's complain - she did absolute smash it - her putting and short game was brilliant.
- i think its good for the womens game to hold events at the same time

Negative
- i do think its impossible to have an equal event on the same course. I think a better idea would be to have womens and mens events at the same time so both tours get exposure (same prize money)
- I think the depth on the LET is FAR weaker than the mens game, which partly explains why she hammered all the other women.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Back to statistics, im not sure if there are any for the let/lpga, but if you know the distance for the mens hole, then you know the strokes gained. If theres a strokes gained dataset for the women, you just make them play whatever distance is 'equivalent' to the mens. There would be individual holes where this would favour one or the other, but over the course of a few events it should even out.
Again...'equivalence', not 'equality'! Not an issue for me, until there's a claim that it's 'equality' - because it's not!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
And I yours!
Re the bit you emboldened.....To be 'equal' the course would have to be the same for both sexes. This was clearly not the case, but was manufactured to be, supposedly, 'equivalent'.
Plenty of opportunity for women to compete equally in many sports/pastimes, but wherever strength is a major factor, there will never be an equal contest at the top level.
But then the women would have had next to no chance, rendering the whole thing completely pointless anyway. I don't think it's possible to make it 'equal' or 'equivalent' or whatever word you want to use - I suspect they only tried to make it as 'fair' as possible.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
But then the women would have had next to no chance, rendering the whole thing completely pointless anyway. I don't think it's possible to make it 'equal' or 'equivalent' or whatever word you want to use - I suspect they only tried to make it as 'fair' as possible.
Indeed...Which was my entire point!
Though you still don't seem to understand the difference between 'equivalent' (think 'fair' in your parlance) cf 'equal', which would have them playing of the same tees!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Indeed...Which was my entire point!
Though you still don't seem to understand the difference between 'equivalent' (think 'fair' in your parlance) cf 'equal', which would have them playing of the same tees!
And you don't understand that 'equal' would have been a total non-starter to point that it's not even worth discussing. :rolleyes:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
And you don't understand that 'equal' would have been a total non-starter to point that it's not even worth discussing. :rolleyes:
Er...I absolutely DO! Which was entirely the point in my initial post - that some seem to have mistakenly thought was a sign of 'fragility'!