Golf course closures!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Reading a newsletter on the Silsden site - seems that the landowner (who is not the club) has been putting quite a bit of money in the course and clubhouse (especially) last year. And maybe he just decided to call it a day. No indication (as you'd expect) of what might cause that, but if the club had not been able to meet it's payments to the owner - and the owner was just not seeing a way that they'd clear any debt - that he just called in the debt or any loan...such a shame but if not viable then why battle on fighting a losing cause.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not exactly the same situation as the above post, but locally to us (Hertford) a full sized 9 hole course has been converted into a restaurant/pub, modern driving range, a 9 hole PitchnPutt (50-80 yds per hole) and a 9 hole par 3 (proper length par 3s with decent greens and bunkering. Given that we already have a load of courses in East Herts, I think that this is a pretty useful change of use, and likely to get more people started off in golf than a full sized course. Obviously, I would be extremely sceptical of anything involving developers....

Where is that located. Looking for somewhere to go that I can walk (buggy user on my home course).

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm sure if every golf course could get permission to develop housing on we'd see a fair number of closures with struggling courses doing a deal to bank a few quid for members, who could then go and play at a neighbouring course.

While it is sad to see clubs closing, especially ones a century old - I guess it's just a form of evolution. Golf is still popular and viable, just not at a level it once was and just not at clubs that might have been poorly run, or never owned their own land, or unlucky in some other way.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Where is that located. Looking for somewhere to go that I can walk (buggy user on my home course).
It's the chadwell springs golf centre on the road between Hertford and Ware just under the a10.
One thing i didn't mention is that the drainage is excellent, unlike my own course and most others south of the chalk hills in north Herts.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I'm sure if every golf course could get permission to develop housing on we'd see a fair number of closures with struggling courses doing a deal to bank a few quid for members, who could then go and play at a neighbouring course.

While it is sad to see clubs closing, especially ones a century old - I guess it's just a form of evolution. Golf is still popular and viable, just not at a level it once was and just not at clubs that might have been poorly run, or never owned their own land, or unlucky in some other way.
A lot of these clubs have only them selves to blame. Failing to move with times and embrace the golf boom assuming the long list of wannabe members would never dry up.

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
Evening all I live near Silsden and it could not make a financial do of running the club. nothing to do with housing or the owner. It has been in trouble for a number of years after they invested with lottery help in a grand new club house, which after a few years had to be sold as they were In difficulties back then. Then land was sold to make ends meet and and leased back to them for five years and now it unfortunately will now close 1st March. Another club nearby ( riddelsden ) closed couple of years ago for same reasons just ran out of money, council who owned land turned it back into a nature reserve and scout camping area. Not a single house built on it.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

Funnily enough, Cambsulang members had the chance to do this and voted against it. They would apparently have got £17K each so not a small amount. Whether the vote would go the same way if it is taken again four years on is a different matter.
News article
Nowadays clubs certainly have to look very carefully at all their spending, make sure it is focused correctly and don't overspend. There are certainly too many golf courses around now for the number of players and sadly we will see more closures. A real shame as for many a golf club is more than just the course.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
That's new thread fodder..... "how much would the individual pay-out have to be for you to vote to sell your club?"

I am not sure what I would do.............. I am sure that if it was £20k there are plenty who would vote for it, and some who would chain themselves to the railings in protest against!!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Funnily enough, Cambsulang members had the chance to do this and voted against it. They would apparently have got £17K each so not a small amount. Whether the vote would go the same way if it is taken again four years on is a different matter.
News article
Nowadays clubs certainly have to look very carefully at all their spending, make sure it is focused correctly and don't overspend. There are certainly too many golf courses around now for the number of players and sadly we will see more closures. A real shame as for many a golf club is more than just the course.

Yes - I'm aware of Cambuslang. Didn't know it was £17k. I guess while they've still got the course, they can always do a deal again in the future. But 10 years on, with a few more debts & a less viable golf operation - they might not be in a position of strength.

carldudley

Visit site
That's new thread fodder..... "how much would the individual pay-out have to be for you to vote to sell your club?"

I am not sure what I would do.............. I am sure that if it was £20k there are plenty who would vote for it, and some who would chain themselves to the railings in protest against!!

Hardly new news but I know what I'd say for £85k in my back pocket, there's plenty more courses in the area and it isn't anything spectacular (apparently). Will play it before it gets shortened.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-after-golf-club-members-vote-to-sell-for-65m

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In Lincolnshire, Canwick, Sandilands and Immingham shut down last year, and at least 2 of those were over 100 years old.
Even with these course losses in the region I hear Louth is really struggling. At the same time here at Grimsby there is a proposal to sell a piece of land for development and use the income to build 2 new holes and secure the long term future of the club.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Even with these course losses in the region I hear Louth is really struggling. At the same time here at Grimsby there is a proposal to sell a piece of land for development and use the income to build 2 new holes and secure the long term future of the club.
I know a few courses near us have sold off land but I feel that is sometimes just papering over the cracks. At the end of the day, there's only so much land you can sell and if you don't get the basics right underneath then you are just basically delaying the inevitable.
A local club has just had planning permission turned down to build flats on part of their land. That was earmarked for club and course improvements but now they will have to try and find the money elsewhere.
I reckon we are still one or two too many clubs now in the area for the demand.

jamiet7682

Visit site
Robster, I was amazed at the sheer number of courses around Glasgow when i started researching, there are 17 within 5 miles of me, that is a lot. They cant all be viable so would be surprised to see further closures in the area, especially with land value increasing.