Golf Course Closed again

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Course was closed yesterday, it was biblical, and today. They may as well close it tomorrow as well. Saturday is supposed to be Captain's Day, shotgun start etc. Hopefully they knock it back a week or two. Pointless playing it, or attempting to, in 2 days time.

D-S

Visit site
A few people I know from my club have played other local courses recently (matches and comps are now having to be played etc.) and have been shocked at the conditions they found. Balls being lost in fairways, electric trollies allowed but kept on getting stuck and having to be dragged out of boggy patches, huge areas of mud on green surrounds, unmown tees or still on mats. They were amazed at these courses being open.
We thought ours was pretty wet despite usually draining well but as a visitor said the other day it is bone dry in comparison with his course at the moment.
I wonder whether the fact that it is renewal time at a lot of places meaning that they are being kept open when they should be closed and that recovery times are therefore going to be very long and last well into the season this year.

Mandofred

Visit site
A few people I know from my club have played other local courses recently (matches and comps are now having to be played etc.) and have been shocked at the conditions they found. Balls being lost in fairways, electric trollies allowed but kept on getting stuck and having to be dragged out of boggy patches, huge areas of mud on green surrounds, unmown tees or still on mats. They were amazed at these courses being open.
We thought ours was pretty wet despite usually draining well but as a visitor said the other day it is bone dry in comparison with his course at the moment.
I wonder whether the fact that it is renewal time at a lot of places meaning that they are being kept open when they should be closed and that recovery times are therefore going to be very long and last well into the season this year.
At the course I just left, I put plastic ties on my wheels to help with traction....kind of like snow chains on your tyres.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I have done work on courses this year that should not be open.
It’s counter productive as it’s going to take a lot of man hours to fix some of the bad spots.

Springveldt

Visit site
Course was closed again today unsurprisingly after the monsoon on Wednesday. After skipping out on the dog walk on Wednesday morning it was still raining later that evening and the school football field I walk through with him had a few new residents.

20240403_175220012_iOS.jpg

That pond wasn't there on Tuesday evening.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’m a member of 2 clubs, both are closed today, sun is now shining, fairly warm…perfect golfing weather…

Oh well, another trawl around the record shops today, this weather is costing me a fortune…😵🤑

was supposed to be at Stratford Races Saturday, it was abandoned on Wednesday. Warwick also abandoned today, must be utterly under water in your neck of the woods!

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It seems I will be making two visits this year, as your club is hosting a Midland Seniors comp in May and the Leicestershire Seniors Championship (scratch) in July. (y)
I understand that it’s the first time that the club has hosted a Midlands competition. That’s a testament to the great work the head green keeper and his team have put in to improving the course in recent years.

AussieKB

Visit site
I'm visiting England at the EOM for 30 days, wondering if I should leave my clubs at home, Perth WA has just had the driest 6 months on record, we are crying out for rain, the other side of the Country has had record rain, crazy world.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
To my amazement were open yesterday, but had 14 temp greens in play. The fairways were in surprisingly good condition but there was a lot of surface water on the greens.

Been raining heavily again all night and now currently snowing. Suspect we may close today……

Supposed to be 15 degrees tomorrow and staying warmer next week……… 🤞🤞

Edit: Just been notified - closed today.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Slightly off topic maybe, but I use a carry bag all the time, and I’d be happy if courses were open at all.
My local course is closed more than it’s open, and I booked a round in Cornwall this morning, which was cancelled as I was leaving the house.
Having said that, there’s nothing we can do about the weather, and who’d be a green keeper at the moment 😔

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
See we have been closed only about 4 days all winter, I never realised how bad it was elsewhere, next week supposed to be playing in Southampton area. Have ended up booking an indoor SIM because the courses so wet. I know we had rain but when I started seeing down there the rain they have makes ours look like a passing shower

Mad

One course said they had 40mm in rain already in April .. that's insane no?

D-S

Visit site
Mad

One course said they had 40mm in rain already in April .. that's insane no?
It depends what happens for the rest of the month. A normal April around here in Bristol is around 80-100mm, so if it continues at that rate yes it is insane, if it is relatively dry no it’s just normal.
It has been a very wet winter but Autumn Sep-Nov was 280mm vs record in last 20 years of 435, Winter Dec-Feb was 373 vs highest in last 20 years 475mm. We haven’t had ridiculously high single month rainfall, just above average with no dry months continually for 6 months.