Golf club recommendations in Wigan area

AppleyBridge

Visit site
Hi All

I’ve decided that it’s about time to join a golf club.

As I live in Appley Bridge (just outside of Wigan), the clubs closest to me are Gathurst and Dean Wood closely followed by Wigan Golf Club. Houghwood is also within striking distance.

Given that all of the clubs mentioned above are similar in terms of joining fees \ annual costs and all appear to be looking for members, I’d welcome feedback, comments and recommendations.

Many thanks
Craig

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Of the ones you mention, I like Dean Wood the best.
The other are nice courses though... play them all and get a feel for the clubs. How they do comps, introductions for new members etc etc. Stay a year, then elope to Bolton Old Links like all the other Wiganers on here ??????

CountLippe

Visit site
Ormskirk is the best round there, but you'd need to know a member.

I prefer Wigan of the ones mentioned, a course of two halves. The original 9 is picturesque and quite tight, the new 9 are a bit longer and more open. Gathurst is quirky and tight. Deanwood another course of 2 halves, I find the front nine a bit boring but the back nine is sound. Houghwood is more modern and built on the side of a hill, you need to be quite fit. Unlike the others, Houghwood isn't member owned so it gets a lot more visitors.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
/Self imposed exile/ - Off

First things first. They are all decent courses.

My personal preference of the ones you listed is Dean Wood. A tricky course which is split into 2 parts. The front 9 is quite flat, but is very well designed with some very clever tee shots and bunkering. The back 9 is more picturesque with smaller greens and is very tricky. The finishing stretch -15-18 are a real test and can completely wreck a good round. Also, the membership was the most friendly and inclusive (IMO)

Gathurst is a nice course, but the design of the back 9 can lead to some very long comp rounds (4 hours plus). It can also get quite wet, especially the first 6 holes.

Wigan GC is a lovely course with a great clubhouse. A bit old fashioned and not as willing to adapt (again, IMO)

Houghwood is a longer course with some great views from up on top. Some tricky holes and can be quite a test at times. It's a proprietary course so it does get very busy at times. Last time I played there the bunkers were in a sorry state, but that might have changed.

My genuine advice would be to play them all, then enjoy a drink in the Clubhouse. You'll probably know which one you prefer. If I was to leave Bolton Old Links for any reason then it would be an absolute no brainer for me (Dean Wood - despite Wigan GC being a 10 minute walk from my house). But we all look for different things from our membership.

Also, check out the Slope Ratings here - slope ratings That will give you an idea of the course difficulty.

Hope that helps (y)

/Self imposed exile/ - On