Golf Club Opens

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought I'd have a look at mixed on GE and oooo Wallasey, booked solid, ooooooo Stockport.....booked solid........Oh well maybe next year.

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Burnham gives you a practice round the day before too. There wasn’t a ballot last year because the cocked up the dates but usually anything above 4 won’t get in

I was surprised to get in last year to be honest but presumed that I would be okay again this year. Not realising the dates issue.
Fingers crossed then I guess. Thanks for the heads up.:thup:

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was surprised to get in last year to be honest but presumed that I would be okay again this year. Not realising the dates issue.
Fingers crossed then I guess. Thanks for the heads up.:thup:

yeah they cocked up and booked it same weekend as the South West England champs. Surprised they’ve left it on a Sunday this year though. The practice round on a Friday always attracted people to enter.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm not sure what criteria you are using to search but I just looked at individual opens in Cheshire and there are over 30 showing at the moment. Have you narrowed down the search criteria?

edit: just seen you are looking at June only but still plenty of options
158 for year in Aberdeenshire, I'm not going through them all, but there will be just a handful restricted to single figures or Cat 1.
30 in Cheshire for the WHOLE YEAR, of those:
*5 are "Twilight golf" open
*1 is a "green golf" event, whatever that is, it's not a proper open though
*2 are 3 and under
*2 are 4 and under
*2 are 5 and under
*2 are 7 and under
*2 are 9 and under
*2 are 18 and under

So in actual fact, Cheshire has 12 mens opens that are truly open. The difference is incredible, and I've not found an area of England that varies much from that sort of that kind of level :(

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been trawling though some mens individual opens and fancied Fleetwood and Denton. Not much of a take up is there? Are these dying off?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been trawling though some mens individual opens and fancied Fleetwood and Denton. Not much of a take up is there? Are these dying off?

i think its more that they offer such great value people are choosing to play the top courses rather than 'good' courses...

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've entered a 36 hole open for this weekend at a member course Sene Valley, Kent. It's a nice track, £25 including buffet lunch, cracking! 12 handicap max limit too.

D

Deleted member 23270

I rate Fleetwood very highly and would put it in the top 100 any day !!!

I haven't played it so can't comment but just to put it into perspective, how many of the current top 100 courses have you played? It is pretty tough for a course to make the list!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've entered a 36 hole open for this weekend at a member course Sene Valley, Kent. It's a nice track, £25 including buffet lunch, cracking! 12 handicap max limit too.

This is my big issue with opens. Great value for you, rubbish value for the members who pay a fortune, and on one of the nicest days of the year can't play their own course. At 25 a head, its not even likely the club will be making any money to offset the membership fee either.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Some great values in opens. I try and play as many as possible.

Handicap is coming down so I hopefully in the near future I can play in the bigger ones.

Playing Royal County Down for £50 which is normally £230.

Portstewart have one end of July for under 9 hcp which is £45 for 36 holes and a lunch. You just cannot beat those prices.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven't played it so can't comment but just to put it into perspective, how many of the current top 100 courses have you played? It is pretty tough for a course to make the list!

Not many admittedly, but I cannot believe that there's a huge difference so I'd pop it in.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is my big issue with opens. Great value for you, rubbish value for the members who pay a fortune, and on one of the nicest days of the year can't play their own course. At 25 a head, its not even likely the club will be making any money to offset the membership fee either.

It's the fianle to their golf week. At the same time as the 36 hole comp they also have an 18 holer for 10-18 handicaps (two tee start I guess) both of which are full I'm told. I've no idea if that's with members or visitors. Of course they've made money, take out £5 for a mass produced buffet lunch and they have £20 left to profit from. That's £20 more than they would of had without the Open being held.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It's the fianle to their golf week. At the same time as the 36 hole comp they also have an 18 holer for 10-18 handicaps (two tee start I guess) both of which are full I'm told. I've no idea if that's with members or visitors. Of course they've made money, take out £5 for a mass produced buffet lunch and they have £20 left to profit from. That's £20 more than they would of had without the Open being held.

No bacon roll, no prizes, no extra course conditioning?
Dont get me wrong, they are great for the visitors, but I am really glad they binned ours off. When you are paying £1600 a year, it grates when there are weekends in the summer when you can't play your own course.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No bacon roll, no prizes, no extra course conditioning?

I doubt the course has any extra work for the Sunday Open than they would already do for their golf week, the most important week of the year.

Nope, no bacon roll, just the buffet. Prizes I guess so but net cost from the pro no doubt.

Surely, an open when the sun is shinning, course is in top notch condition, lots of people about, a buzzing club house and some good golf is the perfect advert for trying to attract more £1600's through the door? When clubs are looking for members showing of your product in it's best light has go to be a good thing.

D

Deleted member 15344

I doubt the course has any extra work for the Sunday Open than they would already do for their golf week, the most important week of the year.

Nope, no bacon roll, just the buffet. Prizes I guess so but net cost from the pro no doubt.

Surely, an open when the sun is shinning, course is in top notch condition, lots of people about, a buzzing club house and some good golf is the perfect advert for trying to attract more £1600's through the door? When clubs are looking for members showing of your product in it's best light has go to be a good thing.

I agree with Murph - it’s the same when the course gets closed for County comps , the course and clubs priority should always be the members. People don’t join a course based on playing a cheap open.

I hated the course being shut for a County Comp because I pay my fees to be able to play the course week in week out - thankfully we don’t have an Open and won’t have a County Comp for ages.