Golf Club Opens

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Its a change of scenery for us Patrick ,my mate played in it last year and said the same as you have but still enjoyed it. Yes you get the reciprocals thats the Brucie Bonus about it.

worth it alone for the 3 rounds at Dornoch for £20. i think I'm about 3 miles to close to get the Country, but you didn't used to get the Recp rounds.

condition wise, golf week is the time to play.

Won't be that bad just greens were worked on and due to the weather no recovery at all as the ground temp is still way to low, despite us having it a bit better the last couple of weeks where we have seen 14 deg a couple of times during the day.

I'm sure you will still enjoy it

D

Deleted member 21258

Great way to play courses at less than green fees rates and do a few a year. Was never aware of opens until I joined the forum.

Never won anything, maybe I should find new playing partners.:rofl:

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
worth it alone for the 3 rounds at Dornoch for £20. i think I'm about 3 miles to close to get the Country, but you didn't used to get the Recp rounds.

condition wise, golf week is the time to play.

Won't be that bad just greens were worked on and due to the weather no recovery at all as the ground temp is still way to low, despite us having it a bit better the last couple of weeks where we have seen 14 deg a couple of times during the day.

I'm sure you will still enjoy it

Getting the reciprocals is superb deal. We.v had a lot of poor weather here but our course is looking good and decent temps up to 12 degrees. Played the 36 hole open before and enjoyed it a very friendly place to play golf

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Great way to play courses at less than green fees rates and do a few a year. Was never aware of opens until I joined the forum.

Never won anything, maybe I should find new playing partners.:rofl:
It's a funny quirk that in England a MEns Open will usually be 4BBB, but in Scotland they are pretty rare, and an Open is nearly always a singles event. Don't know why.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a funny quirk that in England a MEns Open will usually be 4BBB, but in Scotland they are pretty rare, and an Open is nearly always a singles event. Don't know why.

Interesting to hear that. I have only ever looked in my area and N.Yorks and they are all pairs events or Texas Scramble. My own club runs 4 Opens each year and they are the same, the Texas Scramble being by far the most popular of the 4. I personally would not fancy playing in singles events but that is just me.

D

Deleted member 23270

There are loads of both scratch and handicap singles opens in England, you just need to look around to find them.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Heard a story at the weekend about one senior at my place who has spend £600 on entries in to other golf clubs opens. A lot of money, yes? Not really when you hear him and his playing partner (in crime?) "broken even" on this last year.

100% the future of golf but breaking even :-( poor effort need to work on the Mexican blood quick (There does come a point when collecting vouchers and bags is worthless)

Surely clubs make more money having an open comp than a Saturday for members? £25 for an away day medal isn't cheap golf.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
100% the future of golf but breaking even :-( poor effort need to work on the Mexican blood quick (There does come a point when collecting vouchers and bags is worthless)

Surely clubs make more money having an open comp than a Saturday for members? £25 for an away day medal isn't cheap golf.

it is down south, be lucky to get on a goat track for that price on a saturday in a lot of areas

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
Opens in the south of England are fairly expensive compared to other areas but still generally are a fraction of the visitor green fees.

i have just paid £80 odd to enter a 36 hole open at Worplesdon, and a couple of years ago paid less than that to play a 72 hole weekend open at Royal Birkdale and Hillside!

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Burnham & Berrow scratch open day £50 for 36 holes. Bargain.
36 holes at Neath golf club £22. Bargain
36 holes at Radyr golf club £25. Bargain
There are loads of great open days advertised on golf empire. I play as many as my calendar allows each year. They usually cost me 0.1 on the handicap but I play great courses for less money and meet some new people.
Can’t bat a day out at a new course

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There are loads of both scratch and handicap singles opens in England, you just need to look around to find them.

I'm huge Open player, maybe 25+ every year, but when living in Warrington I basically gave up, when there is a singles open it'll often be scr-5, and I tended to hover in and out of Cat 1.

eg. via Golf Empire -
June in Cheshire - 3 Mens open, one of those is 9 & under.
Aberdeenshire has 26.

:(

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm huge Open player, maybe 25+ every year, but when living in Warrington I basically gave up, when there is a singles open it'll often be scr-5, and I tended to hover in and out of Cat 1.

eg. via Golf Empire -
Aberdeenshire has 26.

Every club in the highlands has at least one stroke play open, a few have 3 or 4. plus there are golf weeks and 4/ 5 day open comps as well

D

Deleted member 23270

eg. via Golf Empire -
Aberdeenshire has 26.

I'm not sure what criteria you are using to search but I just looked at individual opens in Cheshire and there are over 30 showing at the moment. Have you narrowed down the search criteria?

edit: just seen you are looking at June only but still plenty of options

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Opens in the south of England are fairly expensive compared to other areas but still generally are a fraction of the visitor green fees.

i have just paid £80 odd to enter a 36 hole open at Worplesdon, and a couple of years ago paid less than that to play a 72 hole weekend open at Royal Birkdale and Hillside!
I almost entered worplesdon but have decided to play less away golf this year and try get more value from Burnham & the players.

ive entered St George’s Hill though

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Burnham & Berrow scratch open day £50 for 36 holes. Bargain.
36 holes at Neath golf club £22. Bargain
36 holes at Radyr golf club £25. Bargain
There are loads of great open days advertised on golf empire. I play as many as my calendar allows each year. They usually cost me 0.1 on the handicap but I play great courses for less money and meet some new people.
Can’t bat a day out at a new course
Burnham gives you a practice round the day before too. There wasn’t a ballot last year because the cocked up the dates but usually anything above 4 won’t get in

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
If a club down here offered an Open at that price down here it'll be booked in no time. Very cheap.

I'll add I'm not moaning but £25 is alot compared to being a member who plays 3-4 times a week :)

I love the experience of roaming around and playing lots of tracks and maintaining a solid away handicap as well as home