Golf Club Membership - your views and thoughts please including Poll no.1

When your most recent club membership renewal came through…

• Did you renew straightaway – no real thought required

Votes: 113 70.6%
  • Did you decide to renew but only after careful thought

Votes: 27 16.9%
  • Did you decide not to renew after careful thought (please advise reason separately)

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Had you already decided not to renew before it came through (again please advise reason)

Votes: 14 8.8%

• Total voters

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Hello all,

A few years ago we ran a big golf club membership feature in the magazine looking at some of the issues clubs and golfers were facing, along with ways in which some clubs had looked to address things.

We’re now looking to run another feature to see how things have progressed or changed and would welcome the feedback of our dedicated forumers via three polls, with the scope to add further comments so we can check out the lie of the land in 2018.

The first poll here is looking simply at whether or not club members renewed their membership when it came up for renewal, and how easy a decision that was one way or the other.

The second poll in a separate post is for those who did renew, looking to find out the key reasons for deciding to do so

And the third one also in a separate post is for those who either aren’t club members, or who were and no longer are – we’re trying to find out what would most entice you into either joining or rejoining a golf club.

As ever, many thanks for your thoughts, views and feedback

JezzE

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did renew this year but had to think about it, my fees went up this year, my club does staggered fees by age, so my fees increased by about 150 quid. I’m still getting a good deal, as I’m not paying the full adult membership yet

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Renewed straight away. Course improving year on year, some improvements on practice facilities and in the clubhouse and a great atmosphere on and off the course. Very happy and it still represents decent enough value for money not to question it at this stage

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Renewed straight away.

Its a members club and as a club (ie the members themselves, and how the club is run) suits me to the ground. Quite pricey but its the going rate for the area. But such a friendly place, couldn't see me leaving unless l moved away from the area, or unless there were a major hike in prices or a seismic shift in policy.

D

Deleted member 1147

I did renew my membership.
I did it straight away without hesitation, a very easy decision.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
renewed because although i often tnink bout going elsewhere my course is literally around the corner, so evening golf is easy, no travelling to worry about

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I didn't renew. The cost went up, course not improving, playing with ChrisD all the time ha ha ha.
I also pay monthly and the cost went from £95 to £104, pushing it into three figures made me think is it good value? Is that too much to pay per month? £104 is more than my gas/elec!! I decided to look for cheaper options.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Renewed straight away, absolute no brainer, not a better club within reasonable travelling distance for me; a few better courses, but no better club.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did. It renew as I wasn’t getting value for money. Paying £1000+ and playing once a week, not using the practice facilities was the deciding factor. Work gets in the at I’m afraid

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
Not renewed and knew I wouldn’t... first renewal as a new member and unfortunately the club is not for me. Probably go back to my old club

D

Deleted member 1740

I didn't renew as i just became bored of playing the course and never really enjoyed it. I've left a good club with a great set of lads who enjoy a drink but ive decided i want to play a better course 12months a year.

Last year i played 7 times and at nearly £1100 it was a waste.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Zero hesitation for me, no brainer. Love being a member where I am, course is good and have made a lot of good friends there.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Renewed without any thought. Being a member of a golf club is just part of what I am and do, and I am fortunate that I live in an area with lovely clubs such as my own, and that I can afford to be a member.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I decided not to renew before it came through.
Started new job with weekend shifts and no one at old club really played on afternoons on weekends.
Haven’t joined any where yet but now settled in new job I’m going to join the club I grew up as a junior at.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Renewed straight away.
After spending 18 months looking for a new home as my last club has the axe of HS2 swinging over it, it's the pick of the bunch that's easily reachable by me, Fragger and CVG, is a decent course at the right money and we can get on the course when we want to play.
There are downsides - not many weekday comps being the main one -but we can live with that.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Renewed but only after a lot of thought. Private members club but not being run so well imo. Strangely, the numbers are falling in a growth town but it's probably the best course locally. Since remaining though changes have been made that could improve things so I am encouraged.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Renewal due in October. Unless they turn the place around dramatically this summer I’m off to somewhere that cares about the condition of the course rather than how much money they can save.