Golf Club Joining Fees - Crippling Diversity

Mandofred

Visit site
I don't agree. My subs this year are £2k and if I play 3 times a week it works out about £13 a round. Many clubs are much less a year than mine.
And if you play every day of the year, it will still be the same £2k. If you play 3 times total....it will still be £2k. You (and I) can afford it, some can't. In most cases, golf isn't a cheap hobby.

Albo

Visit site
I don't agree. My subs this year are £2k and if I play 3 times a week it works out about £13 a round. Many clubs are much less a year than mine.
I don’t get why you break down the cost per round. The he problem is the £2k and if someone can afford that each year. Or £1500 or £1k or £500 etc
The number of rounds doesn’t matter.
If my disposable income after I’ve met the spending I need each month is £100, that means I have £1200 a year to spend, if the membership is £1500 it doesn’t matter a jot if I play once at £28 a round or 7 times a week at £4 a round it’s not affordable

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t get why you break down the cost per round. The he problem is the £2k and if someone can afford that each year. Or £1500 or £1k or £500 etc
The number of rounds doesn’t matter.
If my disposable income after I’ve met the spending I need each month is £100, that means I have £1200 a year to spend, if the membership is £1500 it doesn’t matter a jot if I play once at £28 a round or 7 times a week at £4 a round it’s not affordable
Thats is what "living within your means" is all about. We can't have everything we want, just because we want it or think we deserve it. If we can't afford something, we don't buy it. I accept thats old fashioned thinking but perhaps more should think that way:)

D

Deleted member 31467

Yes, but the discussion was about affordability, not value for money?!
People find the money for 20 fags a day or 2 pints after work or a football season ticket. The issue is people find the money for their hobbies or vices. Based on the above golf is no less affordable.

Albo

Visit site
People find the money for 20 fags a day or 2 pints after work or a football season ticket. The issue is people find the money for their hobbies or vices. Based on the above golf is no less affordable.
No argument here on that point.
If you have the money it’s absolutely affordable, playing more makes it better value for money too. And out of the above, it’s a much healthier alternative too

Albo

Visit site
Thats is what "living within your means" is all about. We can't have everything we want, just because we want it or think we deserve it. If we can't afford something, we don't buy it. I accept thats old fashioned thinking but perhaps more should think that way:)
I’m not sure it’s old fashioned, but it’s certainly wise

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Yeh, that’s crazy. My last club (the Staffordshire) had the same open ended policy and closed last year, one of the reasons given was people cancelling their membership. Just seems madness. You sign up for a year, you stay the year. Same with phone contracts, many gyms, car insurance, mortgages etc.

The joining fee thing depends how much. I’d love to join enville but they’re 2 grand to pay on top of £1700 a year membership. Fair enough, they get the numbers in and they’re probably aiming for the more affluent people, but it’s a shame for those of us who live locally but can’t afford/justify the joining fee.
Yeah some are outrageous. There’s a club up here that used to charge £500 but you could pay over 3 years

JayB

Visit site
What difference does it matter whether we pay for a gym membership, sky subscription, smoke 20 a day, drink a few pints after work or any other comparison brought up in this discussion make?

Last time I checked, none of the above charged a joining fee.

To me, this just confirms my own personal stance on joining fee's, I don't care how much it is, I wouldn't pay extra just for the privilege of spending money with any business.

Mandofred

Visit site
What difference does it matter whether we pay for a gym membership, sky subscription, smoke 20 a day, drink a few pints after work or any other comparison brought up in this discussion make?

To me, this just confirms my own personal stance on joining fee's, I don't care how much it is, I wouldn't pay extra just for the privilege of spending money with any business.
Well....actually.....I just paid a gym membership joining fee in December (and not thrilled about it)....I'm considering signing up to Sky from Virgin, I believe they will charge me to get things going.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

Have you tried to get a mortgage recently. Lots of businesses charge fees to join, they avoid the term joining fee & you are showing exactly why they do that.

Albo

Visit site
Have you tried to get a mortgage recently. Lots of businesses charge fees to join, they avoid the term joining fee & you are showing exactly why they do that.
Mortgages are somewhat different though, it’s not a choice thing with a mortgage, you have to have one, well many people do, which makes it a bit of a cornered market. Nobody needs a golf membership

Albo

Visit site
Well....actually.....I just paid a gym membership joining fee in December (and not thrilled about it)....I'm considering signing up to Sky from Virgin, I believe they will charge me to get things going.
Think the Virgin/Sky charge is a set up fee, as in they need to pay a person to come to your house and plumb in the new kit. And that cost will be a handful of ££.
Joining a golf club, they need to do a bit of admin, and the cost of a bag tag / fixture card, for £100s?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do private clubs need diversity? I assume diversity means having people play golf irrespective of income. Traditionally a club is private to stop diversity, it wants to restrict the number of people playing so members have a less crowded experience, the more expensive the membership the less diverse the club , this applies to whether it's a sports, leisure, gym or lounge club.

There are lots of ways to play golf without joining a members club so why would people pay a joining fee and a high annual membership if they wanted a diverse experience?