Golf Club Joining Fees - Crippling Diversity

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
OUt of interest, if a club has had a joining fee in the past, stopped it and then has brought it back, would the fair and equitable thing to do be to look at the club records and charge the same fee to all members who had not paid a joining fee in the past so as everyone has made a similar contribution to the club coffers.

D-S

Visit site
OUt of interest, if a club has had a joining fee in the past, stopped it and then has brought it back, would the fair and equitable thing to do be to look at the club records and charge the same fee to all members who had not paid a joining fee in the past so as everyone has made a similar contribution to the club coffers.
Or if club had a joining fee in the past and now no longer had one - should they refund or the members who paid a joining fee in the past? I think the answer in no in both cases.
I paid a joining fee when I joined my club and in the past paid a levy for club house improvements - I don't expect new members to pay the levy I paid, even though they get the benefit of the improvements.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or if club had a joining fee in the past and now no longer had one - should they refund or the members who paid a joining fee in the past? I think the answer in no in both cases.
I paid a joining fee when I joined my club and in the past paid a levy for club house improvements - I don't expect new members to pay the levy I paid, even though they get the benefit of the improvements.
It's a bit like saying if you buy a new driver for full price then 3 months later it goes on sale at 30% off can you get a refund for the difference? Whatever's on the table at the time, if you're happy to pay for it then that's you done.

D-S

Visit site
It's a bit like saying if you buy a new driver for full price then 3 months later it goes on sale at 30% off can you get a refund for the difference? Whatever's on the table at the time, if you're happy to pay for it then that's you done.
Exactly and it’s the same for joining fees - if you want to join you pay them, if you don’t you don’t. Simples.

D

Deleted member 15344

Many clubs fees are going up along with everything else in the world- costs for every club is going up

I know some clubs are putting up green fees as well and some a steep rise , I suspect it might be to reduce wear on the course but still keeping the same income

It’s the same as always with joining fees - if you don’t want to pay one then there are multiple clubs that can be joined without one

Bit confused about the diversity point though and it crippling it ?

Albo

Visit site
Here is a thought, are clubs that charge joining fees…
A) Profiteering from the current boom
B) scared that their course is somewhat inferior and is the only way to reduce churn?
C) Being sensible and making money to improve the course at a time when interest is high
D) Trying to maximise membership by buying loyalty
E) Something entirely different?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Mod Edit " Political Content Removed" One of my clubs has budgeted for a multi-tens of thousands loss this year, the other despite also having a healthy balance sheet has still put up fees, because costs for everything has gone through the roof.
😂

Last edited by a moderator:

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
There's a golf club near me that I have long considered joining. But they introduced a joining fee a couple of years ago and that made my mind up.

I can afford the cost, but I just do not like joining fees one bit. I get the theory behind them but I just feel that if you're a good enough golf club, why would you worry so much if some members wanted to leave? It seems like you're trying to force people to stay at the club by ransom, instead of just making sure that you have a well kept course and a well organised member section.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Crippling diversity ?
ours is £1300 joining fee .
but only for men over 30yrs old.
everyone else pays nothing.

it’s a very sore subject when discussed in the clubhouse.

Last edited:

evemccc

Visit site
I am against joining fees in principle but like @IanM i can see why some clubs have them — although churn is objectively bad for a private members club, it is not always a golfer’s ‘fault’ for leaving a club….these days there is much less security in life, in terms of employment and people tend to live more transitory lives — again, certainly not always through choice…I would be loath to spend a fortune on a joining fee to be a member only to have life circumstances dictate I leave the area, and hence the club. For better or for worse (not wishing to discuss that here) life is so much less stable than it was 30 years ago…so although I can see the rationale for a club having a joining fee, I wouldn’t join one that has one (apart from the old important caveat — unless I REALLY wanted to)

No club is perfect, and certainly no membership is, but I’m glad and grateful with what I have with my home club

If St George’s miraculously decided to offer me membership, I would not turn them down if they asked for a £1000 joining fee for example 🤣

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 31467

My club is very upmarket and we have a large joining fee. Thank God, certainly don't want people like you lot joining!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
To answer the OP, joining fees are not crippling diversity. An 'ability or inabilityto pay' 'is not, of itself, a barrier to diversity. Financial wherewithal has never been a discriminatory criterion and it's never been expected that everyone should be able to afford everything. But there are numerous social and societal impediments to attaining financial equality. Its those things that need to be addressed. But one can't go further, as that would breach the forum 'no politics' rule.