Golf Card scanners

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does anybody use them?
Do they exist? I believe I recall I've heard of them in use in outback spots in Australia.
Are they under development in the UK.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get they may make life easier for the handicap secretary but as others have said what happens if cards get wet, or aren't read correctly. Not sure if it would actually make the job easier
I don't know if others will agree but I think that probably the most demanding part of being a H/Cap Sec is ensuring players are on a H/cap appropriate for their playing ability as well as fulfilling their responsibilities by correctly completing & returning cards.
With the current HDIDo App & others scores can be input 'live' as you play. A tricky on a mobile phone that isn't fully waterproof but I don't think it'll be long before there's a waterproof unit available for players.
I guess this is the more likely route rather than a scanner for cards.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know if others will agree but I think that probably the most demanding part of being a H/Cap Sec is ensuring players are on a H/cap appropriate for their playing ability as well as fulfilling their responsibilities by correctly completing & returning cards.
With the current HDIDo App & others scores can be input 'live' as you play. A tricky on a mobile phone that isn't fully waterproof but I don't think it'll be long before there's a waterproof unit available for players.
I believe there is an option to input your card via HHID on your phone after the round, whether in the clubhouse, your home, car park etc. No need to have your phone out on the course in that case. Leave it in the car, use it afterwards. It isn't live inputting but does that matter?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I think you have a valid point. There are things like VPar where you can input scores hole by hole and it can be set up to show a live leaderboard in the clubhouse and so it'll be stuff like that app and others that'll pop up. Not sure there will be waterproof score entering device as I don't think demand will be there (happy to be proved wrong).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We've been entering our scores on our phone hole by hole on IG since we started comps shortly after the 11th May restart.

We trialled entering scores via mobiles in a social comp just before lockdown. We marked one card per group to verify against and the scores were entered at the end of the round rather than hole by hole. Carnage for some. Very easy for the handicap secretary to verify scores that way. It will work and we will use it going forward but not sure all the members would embrace scores hole by hole

D

Deleted member 15344

Massive overthinking.

Everyone marks someone else's card, you input your own scores online and upload your mate's card via a photo.

The average chimp works it out by the 2nd attempt and it's been discussed at length on here over the past 6 months.
That’s pretty much how it is with us - a bit a mare the first time but it got much easier for everyone

Only pain is you can’t do online scoring for bogey comp ?‍♂️

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Massive overthinking.

Everyone marks someone else's card, you input your own scores online and upload your mate's card via a photo.

The average chimp works it out by the 2nd attempt and it's been discussed at length on here over the past 6 months.
We do it at the end of the round and you can add the markers name + the facilty to sign for the score on your phone is now there. You must still leave the card at the club for verification.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We've been entering our scores on our phone hole by hole on IG since we started comps shortly after the 11th May restart.
Have you been using cards as well?
EDIT.... have just seen your answer. Thanks
Yes I've used the HDIDo App & seen it being improved during last season but was still a little unreliable. Hopefully, things will have settled down by the new season

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We've not been returning the physical cards since May/June.
Maybe our gestapo accept electronic records ?‍♂️
We are the same. Cards are filled out on the course, although we could just use a scrap of paper, the scores entered via touchscreen computer and then the card is put in the recycle bin. It's worked very well, I'd be happy for it to continue, although the golf manager has already stated it wont.

It has certainly shown, to me, that physical cards being handed in are not essential going forward.