Golf Balls - Your Top Three

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem here chap, is this discussion has you on a hiding to nothing, because half of these staunch pro v users are paying over the odds for a ball that offers up marginally more spin … and forgetting that they are the random spin generating variable
Yes I think most ams could do with less spin.
Most people I play with are always short of the flag. Especially on soft greens.
A bit less spin might have them pin high.
Very rarely do you see am golfers past the flag , unless it’s a thin.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most people I play with are always short of the flag. Especially on soft greens.
It’s not about that it’s about the pre selection of a golf ball on the basis it has a higher spin number in these tests vs a cheaper brand which has marginally less (circa 500 rpm ) . The point is the amateur uses all of the face of their club and the angle of delivery is pretty variable as well .. so the point is your kidding yourself that a premium ball is giving you any benefit, but golf isn’t about skill it’s about having a cool bag set up, talking the talk and avoiding a spouse

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s not about that it’s about the pre selection of a golf ball on the basis it has a higher spin number in these tests vs a cheaper brand which has marginally less (circa 500 rpm ) . The point is the amateur uses all of the face of their club and the angle of delivery is pretty variable as well .. so the point is your kidding yourself that a premium ball is giving you any benefit, but golf isn’t about skill it’s about having a cool bag set up, talking the talk and avoiding a spouse
If anyone is playing golf to have a cool bag, and avoiding the missus they are doing it wrong.;)

Boomy

Visit site
The problem here chap, is this discussion has you on a hiding to nothing, because half of these staunch pro v users are paying over the odds for a ball that offers up marginally more spin … and forgetting that they are the random spin generating variable

100% hammer hits head of nail ??

I would also add to that - the ‘majority’ (not all) of Pro-v/x fanatics likely don’t generate enough club head speed/power to truly/fully utilise the golf ball’s characteristics. But it looks good on the golfing cv so….

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23270

The issue isn't spin, it's people thinking they can hit a 7 iron 180 yards when in reality it's only 150.
I suggest people look at Google earth and measure out where their typical drives go. Most will get an unpleasant surprise.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The issue isn't spin, it's people thinking they can hit a 7 iron 180 yards when in reality it's only 150.
I suggest people look at Google earth and measure out where their typical drives go. Most will get an unpleasant surprise.
I think it is spin.
Most ams are shorter than their ego your correct.
But they try and hit the ball harder to get more distance.
But on premium balls that just generates more spin
Most balls are advertised on distance and spin.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
100% hammer hits head of nail ??

I would also add to that - the ‘majority’ (not all) of Pro-v/x fanatics likely don’t generate enough club head speed/power to truly/fully utilise the golf ball’s characteristics. But it looks good on the golfing cv so….
This is it for me, used Pro v a few times but don't feel I get any benefits at all from it. Just don't have the skill or club head speed to get the best out of them.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think any thing that is 85-95 compression works for me and that’s the range I will look in. MGS do have those measurements. The higher end compression I get more from on hotter days .. then the next issue is the aerodynamics. The aero will influence peak height and in turn the decent angle … get that right and the spin levels can vary significantly because the decent angle dominates the behaviour on the green. MGS do have these measurements as well , plus spin but as I have stated that’s a little too random for the amateur.

I suppose it’s like hitting the low bump and run vs the flop, the flop has less roll simply because of its decent angle .. not it’s amount of spin.

But this might be too simple of a way to look at it.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Do ProVs spin towards the hole more often than away from it? Asking for a friend.

I'm only joking above, of course.
I use a ProV on a rare occasion when I think the playing conditions and greens are suitable for it to be of benefit to me.
Choosing the right ball for the right clubs on the right course in the right conditions is what it is all about for me.
I don't get it right all the time, but sometimes I still get away with it.

Yesterday, using 1961 Forgan irons and a Srixon softfeel, my ball was consistently right beside its pitchmark on the green when using any club from 5-iron down.
I don't think anything with more spin would have been beneficial to me.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

There is zero chance that ball selection has any influence on the score of any one playing off more 5hc. Such are the variables involved, the influence of the ball is miniscule - they simply dont have the skill and consistency to profit from a known and specific ball response. Like the thread on the price of golf gear, people throw away £40 a dozen on balls simply because they have it, and its buying a marketing created illusion of quality and perfermance. Cheapest is sensiblest for the vast majority as far a balls go for certain.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
There is zero chance that ball selection has any influence on the score of any one playing off more 5hc. Such are the variables involved, the influence of the ball is miniscule - they simply dont have the skill and consistency to profit from a known and specific ball response. Like the thread on the price of golf gear, people throw away £40 a dozen on balls simply because they have it, and its buying a marketing created illusion of quality and performance. Cheapest is sensiblest for the vast majority as far a balls go for certain.

I agree on the scoring influence but consider also the impact on enjoyment.

I prefer the feel of soft balls and generally play those, it increases my enjoyment of the game.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
For me, the most important factor I use when choosing a ball is how it feels off the putter. Agree there is probably no discernible difference for a mid handicapper like me using differentials with driver or irons (except maybe a distance "rock").

However, I can putt far better with a softer ball and hate the clicky sound of pro v's for example.

sunshine

Visit site
1. Callaway - I feel they suit my game best. It doesn't seems to matter which model they all perform great . Although Warbirds are a bit hard, but don't spin so use in the winter.
2. Srixon. Lovely to hit. Really nice feel to them when you strike them well. Again, all models are good. Use the Distance for winter.
3. Wilson. Just the DX 2 or 3. Again lovely to hit and they feel great off the face. Also I like the shiney look to them.

Insight.

I find that round golf balls suit my game best. They need to have dimples too.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
There is zero chance that ball selection has any influence on the score of any one playing off more 5hc. Such are the variables involved, the influence of the ball is miniscule - they simply dont have the skill and consistency to profit from a known and specific ball response. Like the thread on the price of golf gear, people throw away £40 a dozen on balls simply because they have it, and its buying a marketing created illusion of quality and perfermance. Cheapest is sensiblest for the vast majority as far a balls go for certain.
You understand that spin around the greens when you're chipping is also a factor?

sunshine

Visit site
I'm gaming Pro V1 at the moment. I like the feel when putting, chipping, pitching and general greening. The soft feel and extra spin is noticeable on firm summer greens, especially trying to access a tricky pin. Other soft premium balls work for me too e.g. TP5.

For driving and fairway wooding, I don't see or feel any difference between a premium and mid-range ball. Same for hybriding.

For ironing, from the fairway a premium ball will typically stop where it pitches for me, but a mid-range ball will finish 4-6 feet from its pitch mark. Not much difference in most cases, but when downwind or from the first cut, the extra stopping power from a premium ball starts to become worthwhile. I've been using up some old NXT Tours I had and comparing them with Pro V1's recently in bounce games, so my comments are evidence based.

Last year I found some Nike RZN Tours that had been hiding in a box in the spare room for years. I gamed them all and they balled really nicely. Nike made great golf balls.

peld

Visit site
new/clean ProV1 for a comp
old/used ProV1 or similar for a bounce game
anything when playing by myself

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site

I disagree,

I've been watching my friend change from ad333 to Pro v's and the change is huge. It took him about a month to have the balls to send it pin high. Now he's much more consistent.

He's off 10, but is much longer than me, 'm long by forum standards. There will be guys lower than me on here who's golf is completely different (and much more consistent!)