Golf ball analysis

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers for sharing. I've been using Bridgestone RX this year, quite happy with it as it feels long off the tee for me, fine to putt with and so on. I didn't really think of it as a low compression ball but apparently it is by their standards. (The RXS being even lower.) Still I was happy to see this piece of text in there for my swing speed:
"Bridgestone Tour B RX – Arguably the best all-around performer in the low-compression category"

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers for sharing. I've been using Bridgestone RX this year, quite happy with it as it feels long off the tee for me, fine to putt with and so on. I didn't really think of it as a low compression ball but apparently it is by their standards. (The RXS being even lower.) Still I was happy to see this piece of text in there for my swing speed:
"Bridgestone Tour B RX – Arguably the best all-around performer in the low-compression category"
I think it’s quite a good investigation as it does highlight that most balls get to similar figures and there are a few stand alone balls that do stuff or cater for different requirements.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
During one of the lockdowns I spent some time with the last set of results and modelling a hole which was a "drive & a 7 iron", with my swing speed the end result was for many there wasn't much in it. Conclusion, I likely wasn't good enough so just find something on offer ?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
During one of the lockdowns I spent some time with the last set of results and modelling a hole which was a "drive & a 7 iron", with my swing speed the end result was for many there wasn't much in it. Conclusion, I likely wasn't good enough so just find something on offer ?
I think that’s pretty much it and a brand that wants market share and delivers similar performance is well worth a punt

Mandofred

Visit site
I've been using both of those Bridgestones the last year....seem about the same to me. Currently trying a box of Titleist Tour Speed....they have had good write-ups. Seems a bit heavy to me and will likely go back to the RX with my next purchase.....although....been reading some decent things about the E12 Contact. I'm not going to buy ProV1.....I've tried them....good balls, but I don't notice anything special with them. £35 a box is enough for me.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
While the robot testing is all well and good and does give you an idea of what you might find works..you could give 2 people the same ball and the same club and the shot data could come out wildly different.
It all comes down to where you hit it on the face, you delivery conditions and sheer dumb luck in many cases as to whether a ball works or not.
I'm not fully convinced there's much in this sort of test that average golfers can decide on one ball over another.
I've always been of the opinion that there are 3 types of ball...budget, mid-range and premium and in each type there is little difference to be found between balls due to the inconsistent way we hit them.
You may have a preference and that's fine but Ball A is going to better than Ball B when you hit A from the middle and B from the toe but ball B will be better when the strikes are reversed. So which is better?
Just my view..

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lot of info in there to take in in one go

Glad to see the Srixon Q star Tour in the test as I bought a load last year. Still using up my stock of ProV1s and Bridgestone B330RX(old version)

Still trying to make up my mind about the Wilson Staff DX3u's I bought grest spin but seem to lose some distance.

Bobthesock

Visit site
Not sure how good you have to be to notice a difference between balls but it must be cat 1 if not scratch/ +handicap.
I can go round in 75 with an old Dunlop or 89 with a brand new pro v. Just play with what I find that's in reasonable condition now

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure how good you have to be to notice a difference between balls but it must be cat 1 if not scratch/ +handicap.
I can go round in 75 with an old Dunlop or 89 with a brand new pro v. Just play with what I find that's in reasonable condition now
Think we notice via the putter. But even then that really is dependent on the insert.
I have been using a SC del mar Californian which has no face milling and everything feels rather nice ?… so I can address my driver spin issues and purchase balls that give me mid to high spin.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Played one hole on Tuesday with 1.62 balls. @Crow hit 2-iron, 6-iron, pitched the green and made par using a Penfold Tee-Me. I hit driver, 9-iron, pitched the green and made birdie, using a two-red-dot reject. Many of these were either Dunlop 65s or Warwicks with a paint defect.
My verdict is...pay your money and make your choice...whatever makes you happy.

peld

Visit site
im off 13.0 I couldnt tell the difference between a TP5 and Pro1, but i certainly notice a difference between a ProV1, a mid range soft ball and a cheap distance ball.
Biggest difference is spin with wedges - a ProV1 will stop a lot faster than a cheaper ball. I also notice the a mid range soft ball is shorter on driver than the other two.
FYI i also found a couple of Kirkland and notice they spin WAY more (and shorter) than other balls off the drive - felt like nice little draws/fades were becoming hooks and slices.