Golf around St. Annes

Siolag

Visit site
My Fiance and I are planning a trip to St. Annes around the end of May. Looking for two rounds of golf, anyone got any reccomendations. Ideally looking to spend £300 for two two balls. Looked already at ST. Annes Old Links, and its very likely. We will have a car so can go further afield if there are any gems. Ideally Links courses, but not too fussy as long as we play one. Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 21258

Only played two courses in that area.

Fairhaven golf club which is a good course, loads of bunkers, easy walking(flat), nice condition, nice clubhouse, not a true links in my eyes(bit heathland with trees feel about it, not quite sure how to describe actually). Would imagine that is in budget. www.fairhavengolfclub.co.uk

Would recommend tho.

(The other one I have played it well out of price range at a guess, unless they do twilight rates? Royal Lytham and St Annes, one of my favourite courses(not for views but for playing))

Quite a number of NW people on here, so would imagine they will be able to help with other courses in the area/suggestions.

Hope you have a good break.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
St Annes Old Links is a great course. Open qualifying. Consider Hesketh at Southport within your price range. although not links Preston (Fulwood) Lancaster, Pleasington and Clitheroe (Regional Qualifying) all within 1 hour are worth a loo.

D

Deleted member 1740

St Annes Old Links is a great course. Open qualifying. Consider Hesketh at Southport within your price range. although not links Preston (Fulwood) Lancaster, Pleasington and Clitheroe (Regional Qualifying) all within 1 hour are worth a loo.

If your driving to southport I’d certainly drive past Hesketh and head straight to Hillside, you will not be disappointed.

Pleasington is a gem aswell.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Close are Fairhaven (a slight heathland feel to it) and SAOL (links), you wont be disappointed.

Preston is a cracking inland track.

If you managed to get on one of them cheap, I'd push the boat out and play Royal Lytham also, a real treat.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If your driving to southport I’d certainly drive past Hesketh and head straight to Hillside, you will not be disappointed.

Pleasington is a gem aswell.
Agree with your comments. However to get on SAOL and Hillside for 2 people around £300 would take some doing. another option would be to look on Golf Empire to see whether there are any Open Mixed in the area

D

Deleted member 21258

How about Fleetwood Golf club, anyone played it www.fleetwoodgolf.co.uk sure I remember someone saying it was a good course on here :unsure:

Have played the following both very good, If you are willing to drive an hour for some heathland golf :-

how about Sandiway http://www.sandiwaygolf.co.uk/ Heathland soil but looks like parkland, very friendly, cracking course, nice clubhouse

or Delamere https://www.delameregolf.co.uk/ plays much more heathland 'open', nice/good course, great views from clubhouse over course, not that friendly when we went but okay.

Siolag

Visit site
Royal Lytham St. Annes is just a bit out of budget and our current ability level. Ideally will have handicaps in the low 20's before paying that sort of cash :).

Ill look at availability for all the mentioned courses. Many thanks.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I have just joined Fleetwood and would recommend having a look at that as an option. Will be much cheaper than SAOL or Fairhaven but is a true links course (right next to the beach) and by May should be in A1 condition.
I was considering joining one of the other two. I love Fairhaven, haven't played SAOL (and don't think its too easy to get on SAOL as its popular with lots of competitions).

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I have played at many of the courses mention and agree with most of the comments.

Fleetwood is a cracking course, usually plenty odiferous Opens on as well, I always think it is a shame they built that wall, I kind of feel it has taken something away from it.

Hesketh is a good test, complete with excellent facilities.

Hillside the best of those mentioned (except Lytham) but will most likely be over budget & is quiet tough.

SAOL really good golf course, I did really enjoy playing there and do keep looking to return.

If I had your dilemma, my choices would be St. Anne’s and Hesketh.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’d go the simple way of SAOL and Fairhaven. Hesketh doesn’t warrant the extra hour each way travelling (Preston Docks can be a mare) Hillside or S&A would but those really push up the cost.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
As Duckster says... Fairhaven and SAOL. Both quality courses that you won’t be disappointed with.
Great but expensive courses In Southport but there’s really no need to leave Lytham.