Going back to golf after a few years! Help needed

isaacs18

Visit site
Hi,

My name is Isaac, I'm 18 and I am playing a round of golf in 2 hours haha.
I struggle a little bit with anxiety and I am anxious about going to my local club today, a place I have never played a round, as well as it being my first round ever. I know it's a bit naïve to book a tee time straight away after not playing for years, but my mates and I are in the middle of a very stressful revision period and just want to let off some steam, be in the outdoors and play a sport we are really into. I'm going for an hour before to practice my swing so I am not way off when playing.
I am nervous that I am going to mess up, slow people up, and upset this view of the golf club as an elite thing when in reality it isn't. Even though I am not even that bad.

Any tips?

Thanks,
Isaac

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Deep breath, hit it. Lots of people out on the course will be worse than you, don't forget that.

Don't try and annihilate the ball first off. Hit within yourself and once things are going smoothly then up the tempo, if you want to of course.

Enjoy, it's why we all play.

isaacs18

Visit site
Deep breath, hit it. Lots of people out on the course will be worse than you, don't forget that.

Don't try and annihilate the ball first off. Hit within yourself and once things are going smoothly then up the tempo, if you want to of course.

Enjoy, it's why we all play.

Thank you! That helps a lot.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you do find you are holding people up, just step to the side of the fairway (or wait on the tee if they are approaching from the last hole) and let them play through. You may find that you have to do this a couple of times during your round but it will make your round more enjoyable as you won't have angry golfers trying to rain balls over your heads!
Also, enjoy it - however bad the golf may be, you are out in the fresh air with your mates :cool:

RichA

Visit site
Just enjoy it for what it is. Somebody on here gave some sage advice for this type of scenario a while back...
Turn up early enough to see 2 or 3 groups tee off in front of you. Guaranteed, half of them won't hit the fairway and more than one won't find their original ball.

isaacs18

Visit site
If you do find you are holding people up, just step to the side of the fairway (or wait on the tee if they are approaching from the last hole) and let them play through. You may find that you have to do this a couple of times during your round but it will make your round more enjoyable as you won't have angry golfers trying to rain balls over your heads!
Also, enjoy it - however bad the golf may be, you are out in the fresh air with your mates :cool:

Thank you! That means so much :) definitely helped

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I used to be nervous about going to the gym as I thought everyone would be laughing at me. Then someone asked me how I felt when i saw a new golfer. My reply, and the reason I now have zero fear of the gym, was that I barley ever noticed, and absolutely never cared about anyone elses game (unless they were in my group!).

Tip for speed of play, if you are keeping up with the group in front , i.e. are on the tee before the group in front finish the hole, then your doing fine. If the group infront are more than a hole infront, and the group behind are waiting to play shots before you finish the hole - then let them pass.