Going Back "Home" (Nearly a Rant) (Ok it is a rant!)

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Two years ago I left my old place (I didn't leave to come to London that happened a month later when my previous employers decided the Nantwich office and the company didn't need my services any more!) I left because the maintenance of the place just wasn't good enough, greens diseased and getting cut twice a week - on Mondays and Thursdays!!!! - tee's uneven, uncut and normally with a high stone count, hazards incorrectly marked, "greenstaff" more interested in adding mounds than fixing the problems and just general untidiness throughout!

I was back in Nantwich to help my mother out with her pub after surgery over the weekend and made a couple of trips out to my old place, see my mates and get some golf in. OMFG you might think things might have improved? No I reckon they were worse than ever, the course looked like a rough end muni, I know the weather in the North-West hasn't been the kindest but there can't be any excuse for the standard of the course I discovered. The grass on the tees was so long you shouldn't be allowed to prefer your lie let alone tee it up. I walked straight past my ball in the "fairway" twice because I couldn't see it in the long grass. As for the greens, the less said the better, but, how do you make greens slow and unreceptive?

A question to the Surrey golfers on here, I ran in to the most blinkered past captain you could imagine who made the following statement - "These greens are better than any of the greens in Surrey at the moment!" (I though he was kidding and laughed out loud before realising he wasn't), Any of you guys think your greens resembled bobbly uncut fairways this weekend?

I guess the real reason for my utter frustration is the same as ever in that it's a great layout with some interesting and challenging holes, it's miles away from anywhere so always quiet and peaceful, but with a great group of members that I think you'd have to go along way to beat. So, I believe, with the correct maintenance could be one of the top courses/venues in the area if the owners could just see sense and hire a qualified greenkeeper rather than blindly muddling through themselves!

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sad thing is the weather in the north west has been pretty kind compared to the rest of the country as far as im aware so theres no excuses.

Every course I have played recently is at the good or very good stage and they are on the way to excellent condition ready for the season.

Sounds like they have just got It badly wrong there and they are wasting what is a very good setup which is a crying shame.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Two years ago I left my old place (I didn't leave to come to London that happened a month later when my previous employers decided the Nantwich office and the company didn't need my services any more!) I left because the maintenance of the place just wasn't good enough, greens diseased and getting cut twice a week - on Mondays and Thursdays!!!! - tee's uneven, uncut and normally with a high stone count, hazards incorrectly marked, "greenstaff" more interested in adding mounds than fixing the problems and just general untidiness throughout!

I was back in Nantwich to help my mother out with her pub after surgery over the weekend and made a couple of trips out to my old place, see my mates and get some golf in. OMFG you might think things might have improved? No I reckon they were worse than ever, the course looked like a rough end muni, I know the weather in the North-West hasn't been the kindest but there can't be any excuse for the standard of the course I discovered. The grass on the tees was so long you shouldn't be allowed to prefer your lie let alone tee it up. I walked straight past my ball in the "fairway" twice because I couldn't see it in the long grass. As for the greens, the less said the better, but, how do you make greens slow and unreceptive?

A question to the Surrey golfers on here, I ran in to the most blinkered past captain you could imagine who made the following statement - "These greens are better than any of the greens in Surrey at the moment!" (I though he was kidding and laughed out loud before realising he wasn't), Any of you guys think your greens resembled bobbly uncut fairways this weekend?

I guess the real reason for my utter frustration is the same as ever in that it's a great layout with some interesting and challenging holes, it's miles away from anywhere so always quiet and peaceful, but with a great group of members that I think you'd have to go along way to beat. So, I believe, with the correct maintenance could be one of the top courses/venues in the area if the owners could just see sense and hire a qualified greenkeeper rather than blindly muddling through themselves!

The shame is, there are probably quite a few courses in the same boat. A decent course manager can make a massive difference to a golf course and quite often, it doesn't take a huge amount of work to get things in good shape. Unfortunately it often comes down to laziness.

Down at RAGC our previous course manager had what I would consider to be an ideal job. A new course (9 years this year) where he could stamp his mark. He was however lazy, lost the greens to moss and seemingly had no idea how to recover them, let the rough and ditches overgrow and generally left the place looking rather untidy etc etc.

The current guy has the course looking and playing now like it should have done 3 years ago and a lot of what he has done has just involved doing a bit of work. It's little things that make a lot of difference. One of the first things he did was put some drainage in on the paths around the course, it wasn't a big job it just needed doing. The drains had apparently been in the shed for 2 years but never installed. He's cleared out the ditches and all the overgrown areas around the tees to make it more aesthetically pleasing (and help water flow), solved the moss problem and generally tidied the place up a bit. We now see green staff around working at the weekend which we never saw before. All I used to hear about the course were complaints, now all I hear is compliments. I was so impressed with the condition last time I played a couple of weeks ago I made a point of seeking out the manager to compliment him on his work.

It's a real shame that potentially excellent courses are ruined by laziness and mis-management.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not even going to ask where (Nantwich) you are talking about.

Even the best courses up here look just awful and there are no top-notch greens anywhere... Shropshire especially.

However, reading between the lines, it sounds like that course just gave up.

Drayton, Shrewsbury, Arscott and Oswestry are all coming back to life.... roll on another 2-3 weeks of this weather. :)

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a Surrey golfer - the greens here are just getting to the point of being perfect. All the work has been done, my course last week had the grass a little too long but had tended to it the week before. Going tonight to hopefully see perfect greens. So by the sounds of things - the bloke who said that is a bit of a... (insert descriptive word here).

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
+1 to that- looks lovely. Whats the entrance fees out of interest?

+2 to that, cracking website, difficult to find fault with it really and who wouldn't want to play a round there the way its presented and photographed

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We're not perfect as we have two sorts of grass in the greens that have different early season growth rates. But we are getting there and I'm guessing that by early May we'll be tickety-boo.

D

Deleted member 15344

Played on greens in Hampshire,Berkshire , Beds and Bucks and they are all coming along very nicely indeed

Haven't played on a "bad" green all year long so far

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a Surrey golfer - the greens here are just getting to the point of being perfect. All the work has been done, my course last week had the grass a little too long but had tended to it the week before. Going tonight to hopefully see perfect greens. So by the sounds of things - the bloke who said that is a bit of a... (insert descriptive word here).

To be absolutely fair, I (and many others) don't generally take a word the past captain in question says as anything less than nonsense, he's well known for talking utter tripe (This was the guy who when asked which courses he'd played during his year replied "only here") but as I was typing I reaching the same frustration levels I got to on Sunday and I thought just to prove I'm not completely nuts I'd ask the question!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I played at the Downshire near Wokingham on Friday. Shocking greens. Wooly and slow. Shame as the course has the potential to be a real gem. After several years ours are nearly back to their best. Its a shame the OP's home course continues to go to rack and ruin but take solace from the fact it was a once in a blue moon return and the majority of the golf is at a top quality course with a superb reputation

D

Deleted member 1740

Aldersey Green has the potential to be a cracking course, I've played it a few times and every time it's looked shabby.

It's a decent layout with some decent holes but just needs a bit of looking after.