God i hate this game!

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've just had the most pointless 9 holes ever! I rushed round, hacking away, my swing was all over the place!

This is no more than a week after I was striking the ball lovely with a nice slow swing and great tempo.

Today I went back to thrashing at everything and popping my head up before i've even hit the ball.

This game is so annoying.... just as I think my 28handicap might start creaping down I develop another flaw in my swing!

:mad:

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Minty
You're obviously a new golfer. The bad news is that when you've been playing 20 years and your handicap is down to 3 or 4 the game will still p*** you off a lot of the time. Enjoy it when you can.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've been playing about a year now and thats what is so annoying, i really thought i'd be consistent by now.

I'm going over the range tomorrow, i'm going to take my time and work on my swing tempo....

Lets hope its better or else it looks like i'm going to have to spend more money on lessons.

tpred

Head Pro
Visit site
hi minty,thats golf im afraid mate.
One day you go out and strike it like a pro and the next you cant hit a cows arse with a banjo.

Thats what keeps us coming back for more.
Just like shanker says wait till you get to low double to single figures cos thats when i gets realy gets you frustrated.
All i can say and im sure the rest will agree is just keep plugging away at it and take any plusses out of each round and build upon them from round to round.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Minty,
tpred has hit the nail on the head. A few years from now you'll knock it round in 73 and go into the bar telling your mates it should have been a 69. That's golf!

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
ever thought you might be thinking too much?

decide the club required and then hit it!

when you want to practice do it on the range, when you want to play golf go to the course and hit the ball with 1 or 2 at the max thoughts.

that's my tuppence worth.

best of luck

T

thecraw

Decide on your distance, select the club,get comfy, check your aiming where you want, then TURN, TURN. Bingo you have hit the ball end of.

TURN on your backswing, TURN back through the ball.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
ever thought you might be thinking too much?

decide the club required and then hit it!

when you want to practice do it on the range, when you want to play golf go to the course and hit the ball with 1 or 2 at the max thoughts.

that's my tuppence worth.

best of luck

This is the best bit of advice i have had since i started playing, you shouldn't be thinkin about ya stance, swing address at all on the course, thats what the range is for, just do what comes naturally, i now take uzo practice swings, if the both feel right al just take the shot, if they feel wrong, i'll stand up, away from the ball for a sec and try again. I seen to be playing alot better now! You should also try to picture the shot you want to play instead of thinkin am gonna shank this one or top it cause if ya think it, you probably will

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Minty, i could have wrote the same thread a couple of weeks ago. I had played two good rounds over xmas. The swing felt nice and my score was coming down. i thought wow i'll break 100 soon. nope, my last round i couldnt hit a shot for love nor money after the 3rd hole i wanted to cry. At the end of the round my mate said, 'you're not progressing as quickly as you should be'... :mad:

Mowgli

Hacker
Visit site
Minty,

Rome was not built in a day i have ben playing for 16 months this is a game of good and bad ups and downs excuse the pun.

I sometimes play with to blokes over 60 years old me being a mere 38. They say to me it takes time and not to be to hard on myself and enjoy it and of course they are right so that is what i am trying to do.

Mate set yourself some relistic goals and i am sure you will get there, mine this year is to be playing off 18 by the end of the year. (hopefully)

Good Luck