goals for the summer

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have just been into the club today i am looking at joining so my first goal will be to get my handicap. Anything under 18 and i will be happy.

Then take 5 shots off that within 12 months.

D

Deleted member 1147

Learn to putt, then get the ball into the hole!

Oh, and sort out my mental problems on the course!

.....ah yes, and practice more!

Plus, enjoy golf more - remember it's not a chore!!

simplyme

Head Pro
Visit site
I had a few but then thought "1 step at a time".

My 1st was to get to 15 by end of July, was at the club yesterday and have been cut to 16.3, so I am already nearly there.

My main aim is to learn to course manage! I far too often decide not to take my punishment and go for a glory shot, which backfires and leaves me angry with myself for the rest of the round and I start chasing shots. If I can get it into my head that you're rewarded for a good shot and punished for a bad one, then i can see my H'cap coming down even quicker.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The main aim has been to get to 10 for the last 2 years. Realistically given the way things are panning out with my form I'd realistically accept 12 as a sign of a good summer.

Practice wise I'm working on shots from <100 yards, chipping and putting and will be spending at least two nights a week on this

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is no reason what so ever why you cant join one now pete, infact i would go as far as to say, you are more than likely to drop ya handicap by joining a club!

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
To get the handicap to the low 20's.

Its all there but things just dont seem to fall into place enough for the cut to happen - YET!!

Watch this space I have been practicing hard and can really notice the differance.

blindpete

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know what you are saying, TonyN, but I am used to playing fairly regularly at 5 or 6 different courses. If I can have a consistent summer and drop my handicap whilst playing at these courses then I will feel that my whole game has improved as opposed to learning how to play one course. Does that make sense?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes it does, it means you will have an arsenal of shots in your bag to tackle the one course when you choose it. This is what i have done all winter but i am taking the plunge and having some app forms sent out to me!

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your in goals Im playing up front!

This summer I hope to get an offical handicap when I join a club and go to the putting green and driving range once a week at least from June.

sandford93

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i no its tempting but try not to make handicap targets as you will feel under more pressure in competitions, pick out a weak point in your game and then work on that on the range or the practice area.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have an 8 week summer holiday this year so my main aim is to play at least 3 times a week during this period and see where that leaves me in terms of how well I am playing. I also would like to play some more competitive golf than I currently am.

mrobbie

Club Champion
Visit site
Every year without fail, I have the same goal; get down to single figures. Never done it - never even got close to it.

This year, I have a different view...

1) get back to CONSISTENTLY playing to 16 (unofficial, but tracked after each round).

2) get the number of putts below 30 in 18 holes

I have really struggled in the past 10 months, particularly hitting fairways with the driver. I have just got a new driver and am hitting much straighter, so think I will be on to something.

I also got a summer membership at Emirates GC and the wife is going to chase me out the house every night to make use of it. Hoping to get 18 holes on a weekend and 9 holes in at least 3 evenings a week. Maybe even a bit of driving range/chipping & putting on an evening also.

With this practice through regular play, I will hopefully get back to 16 and maybe even lower... 12 would be nice.

...we'll see how it goes!