Goal to drop to single figures

D

Deleted member 16999

Going on a rough guide from my last few rounds

Birdies 2%
Pars 33%
Bogeys 46%
D. Bogeys 19%
Going on what you posted above, I’d stop worrying about birdies and look to reduce your bogeys, as JamesR put, go for more pars.??

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Short game, short game, short game.

A 20ft holed putt scores the same as a 300 yard drive.

You need to be shooting less than 30 putts in every round you play.

Missed greens do not matter as long as you either hole out the greenside shot or take no more than 2 shots to complete the hole.

D

Deleted member 1147

Missed greens do not matter as long as you either hole out the greenside shot or take no more than 2 shots to complete the hole.
Of course, if your long game is crap and you don’t get greenside in “regulation” you’re going to be hoping to get up and down for bogie, rather than par.
Also, the better players have good long games, and consistently give themselves par and birdie chances, which makes making higher scores less likely.

D

Deleted Member 1156

If you were 50yds from the flag what club/swing/shot would you play?
I don't understand the relevance of your question. You don't need to be good from 50 yards to play off single figures, just manage your game to leave full shots in if they are a problem until you get time to work on that distance.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Stop making double bogies. Really is that simple.

You need to break 80 more regularly. To get to singles its likely going to need to be 4 times from your 20 goes and a couple close to 80.

Single figure golf is all about avoiding doubles. Its not about making 4 or 5 birdies a round.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Dont define your game by a number, hard work and progress isn't always reflected in your handicap. If you practice with purpose and learn course management it will happen. If you can reel of pars as you say its not tough to go round with a par every other hole and bogey golf for the rest with good course management.

I totally agree with your first sentence. I am on the same journey as the OP and I have definitely made progress in 2020 (even with Covid interfering) going from 14-12 (under CONGU) and currently off 11.6 under WHS. I actually feel I am getting closer to single figures and my bad rounds are much better around 30-32 and would have been 25-27 before. That in itself indicates a level of consistency but doesn't reflect in my handicap coming down.

Short game has been my nemesis so that is where my focus has been as well as improving my putting out and holing out from 2-4 feet. My driving recently has left a lot to be desired so an area that I can look at after lockdown. Over the Christmas break I'll re-read the Practice Manual, definitely start Pilates For Golf and speak to the pro I use for lessons and get a 2-3 MOT lesson plan sorted for the Spring. I've made forward steps this year. It's about keeping it going

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Based on your name and location, I'm going to guess you're a member at Lewes. I'm a lowly 23 hcp, so obviously anything I say comes with a large side order of salt, but Lewes is the course I've played the most by a long shot so my 2p worth...!

1 & 3 I'm annoyed if I'm not on the green in 2. 4/5/6 should be easy pars for someone aiming for single figures. 7 I can get on in 2 with considerate conditions and a pair of good hits! so I'd expect a single figures player to be aiming for par at worst, ideally a 4. I could go all the way through the course, but the standouts on the back 9 - 14/15/16 I'd be hoping for 4/4/4 at worst from a decent player (16 is a short, all downhill par5 for those who haven't played lewes).

As a small aside without wishing to derail the thread *too* much, how is the course at the mo? My dad was a member there for 15+ years late 90s-early 00s and we've been going back again the last 5 years or so. How have the new greens team settled in after Lawrie went to West Cornwall?

If you're not at Lewes, then completely ignore me! If you are, feel free to ignore me too!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't understand the relevance of your question. You don't need to be good from 50 yards to play off single figures, just manage your game to leave full shots in if they are a problem until you get time to work on that distance.

In my 50 years of playing golf, this is the area where I see most medium to high handicappers lose strokes.
It's a shot that can be learned/mastered quite quickly by all as it doesn't require strength, flexibility or a 300 yard driving range. It can be practiced on a 60 yard field with a G/W or S/W, an umbrella and a dozen balls.
You don't need any major swing surgery and months of practice like you would to cure a slice.

And it isn't just for 50 yards.
By using the same technique and changing clubs, the OP can adapt this shot for 40, 60, 70 yds etc.

So when the OP comes up 50 yards short after a duffed second shot or a long par 5 he'll be be able to get it on the green and make par or bogey at worst.

''Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction'' Gino D'acampo

D

Deleted member 25172

I started the year playing off 9, and am down to 4.4. My last round I shot 73 (3 over par) with 8 up-and-downs for par...

That is obviously just one example, but I’d say that it’s quite indicative of my progression this year. Last year those 8 up-and-downs for par would’ve been 3, max 4 pars and the remaining 4 bogeys, and quite possibly a double bogey chucked in the mix as well.

What I’ve been practising most this year? My short game.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Like everything, there are a million and one ways, but these are my thoughts based on what I did many years ago to get to cat 1.

14 to 9 shouldn't be too difficult. Shooting 80 regularly will get you there.

Don't take swing advice from people you play with. Especially if they aren't very good themselves.

Play with better players. Watch how they manage their game around a course and learn from it. Don't compound a poor shot with another, don't play shots you can't hit or have a low percentage of being successful.

If you have stats. What is your most common miss? You need to eliminate a two way miss. Whatever your shot shape is, work with it. So if you hit a fade aim to the left so when it fades you're in the middle of the fairway/green.

Narrow your target area down. On every single shot have a picture in your mind of a very small area to aim at.

Do you know your distances accurately and how conditions effect them? Being pin high more often makes a huge difference to scoring potential, especially if coupled with eliminating a two way miss.

Below are what I would say will give you the biggest gains.

Driving and being able to det up and down from inside 25 yards.

Driving does not have to be with a driver, but it helps if you can hit it well.
Get the ball in play to a position that will set you for the approach. Really think about what you want to hit for your second shot and play the tee shot to put you in that position.

Practice from 25 yards and in from awful lies. Rough, sand, bare ground, off paths. Learn shots that spin and check or shots that roll out. Experiment with different clubs for different shots. This will build your imagination. Rarely do you get a perfect lie around the green. So don't practice from them.

Then of course putting, my nemesis. I could easily 3 put a hole in one.
As I've taken golf up again this is the thing I'm practicing most.
Be deadly from 6ft.

Finally. Don't focus on your handicap. This will lead you to focusing on your score and you will put yourself under pressure.
Don't add your score up as you go round or count it after 9. And tell your playing partner you don't want to know it. It doesn't matter one bit until you've completed 18 holes.

Its a cliche, but lower scores happen one shot at a time. So play every shot with the same focus and respect, whether in a competition, a roll up or practicing in the garden.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Know what a good miss is..know where to miss and where not to.
When I started at Ellesborough earlier in the year my first dozen or so rounds were pathetic.
Mainly because I was missing greens in the wrong places and leaving a virtually impossible up and down
Taking 3 or even 4 from 20 yards doesn't help any scorecard.
Now I know where I dont want to be and, somewhat strangely, its rarely pin high.
Most greens I'm better off short or long ( long up to a point)
And although hitting fairways and greens is important, its not the be all and end all..
Hit the fairway and you can still be blocked out by trees, hit the green and you can still be unable to putt at the hole.
Some of our pin positions you're better off just short than being on the green but with a putt that you'd happily take 3 and run.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
And although hitting fairways and greens is important, its not the be all and end all..
Hit the fairway and you can still be blocked out by trees, hit the green and you can still be unable to putt at the hole.

This is absolutely true and why course management is so important. But such an individual thing.

At my old course there is 2 drivable par 4s but they are surrounded by all sorts of trouble with greens that sloped front to back. Most would lay up just short and have a horrible half pitch second shot. Some would leave a full shot. I used to aim for the front right bunker on one and down the left of the other as it gave ME a better angle into the green.

The 9th green is narrow, slopes left to right with OB 5 yards from the left of the green and a tree and bunker guarding the front right. Not ideal for a fader. I tried to hit it as far as I could down the right towards the 2nd tee and practice ground. This was getting on for 100 yards from the middle of the fairway, and making the hole play a bit longer. It made the green wide but shallow and sloped back to front. This pretty much eliminated going OB to the left and took the front right tree out of play. This suited my game as my distance control was more accurate than my dispersion left to right.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
as others have said, short game will help, becoming a better putter sometimes can save you 4 or 5 shots a round if you get really good inside 3 and 4 feet. Also boring golf will also knock shots off, by which i mean no hero shots, get the ball back in play if you go offline and getting good from say 100 yards and in def helps.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

The best in the world also only hole 1 in 5 from 20ft. So being good from the distance actually makes very little difference.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you broken the course down using a map and your distances? I do this set the strategy work out where and what I have to do. You then know where you can get away with over clubbing and under clubbing/ bail out areas etc... then do as Bob says get the short game sorted, and as BiM says get the putter working... I spent 20 minutes a day on my putter for 2weeks .. strangely went round in 66 in the next competition round and was rarely over par from there on out. Might be a coincidence though.

jwlewes

Visit site
Based on your name and location, I'm going to guess you're a member at Lewes. I'm a lowly 23 hcp, so obviously anything I say comes with a large side order of salt, but Lewes is the course I've played the most by a long shot so my 2p worth...!

1 & 3 I'm annoyed if I'm not on the green in 2. 4/5/6 should be easy pars for someone aiming for single figures. 7 I can get on in 2 with considerate conditions and a pair of good hits! so I'd expect a single figures player to be aiming for par at worst, ideally a 4. I could go all the way through the course, but the standouts on the back 9 - 14/15/16 I'd be hoping for 4/4/4 at worst from a decent player (16 is a short, all downhill par5 for those who haven't played lewes).

As a small aside without wishing to derail the thread *too* much, how is the course at the mo? My dad was a member there for 15+ years late 90s-early 00s and we've been going back again the last 5 years or so. How have the new greens team settled in after Lawrie went to West Cornwall?

If you're not at Lewes, then completely ignore me! If you are, feel free to ignore me too!

Yes, at Lewes. And I would agree with plenty of what you've said usually, however in my opinion the course has been playing extremely hard this year.

First cut into 2ft high rough during the majoirty of the summer wasn't ideal when the fairways were so hard, which also didnt help approach shots into greens such as 3/5, the way the ball rolls away off the green.

Other than that, the new guys have done a pretty good job, they had a big crow problem which didn't help them, and I think the volume of players isn't helping, but i'm hoping its in pretty good condition when we get back in December!

jwlewes

Visit site
About time I updated this!

Couple of lessons and almost non stop golf since reopening in March - WHS index is now down to 9.1

The real big gains I have seen have come from the following
- Lessons - Couple to work on a swing problem, got my ball striking to another level
- Fitting - Was fortunate to have some money spare to be fit into a completely new bag, new driver, irons and putter that suits my swing have really helped, confidence over any shot I want to play with far less dispersion
- Practice - While it's been difficult with COVID restrictions, I have really been working on my short game, Up and Down % getting higher and higher
- Planning - I have started changing my approach to different holes, some keeping the driver in the bag as there's too much trouble, less "hero" shots etc.
- Mental - Ultimately, I'm playing with a bunch of mates every week, and just enjoying being out, if i'm crap on any given day, it's one of those things and I play better next time

Still plenty of work to go, and feel like that index can still come way down without much change!