Goal to drop to single figures

jwlewes

Visit site
Hello all,

Having played golf sporadically for years, this February I finally joined a club and have been playing fairly regularly (when Covid has allowed)

I now have my WHS handicap (14.9), having played in competitions all summer, which I feel is slightly on the high side, seeing as even with a pretty average round I am shooting in the 32-36 point region

I have gone under 80 twice at my home course, and shot a 75 (+5) while away on a golf trip (including a quad bogey)

But what I want to know is your ideas on how to get my handicap down into single figures and lower, and how to keep it there!

D

Deleted member 21258

Try not to waste shot, so no duffed chips or iron shots, always look to progress the ball. Get good at chipping and putting.

Keep 3 off the tee and 3 putting, to say 3(definitely under 5) lost shots a round. Assuming you make some birdies and get a lot of nGIRs in a round.

Best of luck.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Don't compound an error with another.
So when you hit a poor shot don’t automatically try the Seve Save..weigh up the likelihood of making that shot against what çould happen if you get it wrong.
Take your medicine and make bogey the worst score you can make.

D

Deleted member 15344

Keep your eye on the ball , try and keep relaxed whilst playing , don’t push things , play within yourself

Also worth doing a journal of your journey online ?

jwlewes

Visit site
All good suggestions, I feel like i'm getting there with my game.

Can't warm up for long enough due to our clubs Covid rules, which is annoying, but doing as much as I can!

Sometimes feel my issue is too few birdies, probable average 35-50% GIR, but hit so few birdies! My best rounds are just solid par after par!

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Dont define your game by a number, hard work and progress isn't always reflected in your handicap. If you practice with purpose and learn course management it will happen. If you can reel of pars as you say its not tough to go round with a par every other hole and bogey golf for the rest with good course management.

D

Deleted member 1147

How many double, or worse, bogies do you have per round?

If you’re scoring 32-36 points per round of approx 15 you’re having too many bad holes rather than too few birdies.

sunshine

Visit site
1. As already stated, reduce mistakes around the green e.g. 3 putts.

2. Probably easier (and more effective) to focus on reducing double bogeys rather than increasing birdies. If you assume 50% GIR should translate to 9 pars, then focus on making sure the other nine holes are no worse than bogey and you will achieve your goal.

3. Alternatively, play at an easier course ;)

jwlewes

Visit site
How many double, or worse, bogies do you have per round?

If you’re scoring 32-36 points per round of approx 15 you’re having too many bad holes rather than too few birdies.

At a guess on an average round, 7-9 bogeys and maybe 2-3 doubles - Doubles (and worse) are definitely what i'm trying to get out of my game, and that stat has definitely improved

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The biggest thing I'm getting from your replies is your guessing. You say you at about 35-50% GIR, but that's quite a big difference.

I think you need to start keeping stats to find out your weaknesses. Breaking 80 for me is not having more birdies it's limiting the bogies or doubles.

You can't improve if you don't know what's holding you back now.

jwlewes

Visit site
The biggest thing I'm getting from your replies is your guessing. You say you at about 35-50% GIR, but that's quite a big difference.

I think you need to start keeping stats to find out your weaknesses. Breaking 80 for me is not having more birdies it's limiting the bogies or doubles.

You can't improve if you don't know what's holding you back now.

My rounds and starts are tracked, I may have misworded it, to say on an average round i'll fall in that range, I know my bad rounds come from missing greens on the whole, and not getting up and down when I do

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Easiest way to become a single handicap player is to become a surgeon with two clubs..... Your putter and your driver.

D

Deleted member 1147

The majority of shots are played with 3 clubs; driver, wedge and putter.
Probably the best areas to allocate the majority of your practice time.

D

Deleted member 16999

Using Arccos as a guide a 15 Handicapper scores on Avg are 3% Birdies, 28% Pars, 48% Bogies and 25% Double Bogies.

A 9 Handicapper averages, 4%, 41%, 41% and 14% over the same areas.

How do you compare strength or weakness to this?