Glove under right arm

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went down Sandmartins range today and experimented with placing a glove under my right arm. I'd seen Woods do this on TV some time ago and thought I'd give it a go.

I'm quite a strong iron player with good distance but I want to get more accuracy (dont we all).

I had mixed success today with this, when I hit it well they were more accurate than normal. However there were quite a lot of swings where the club was striking the mat before ball. I got away with it sort of on the mat but on a course I imagine they would be catastrophic fats.

Has anybody used this exercise and how did you fare?

Is the idea to keep the glove under the arm throughout? at what point should it fall away? I assume the exercise is to compact your swing and make it more consistent?

Thanks.

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I saw Jeev Milkha Singh do this last year practising at Wentworth. He dropped the glove on the backswing every time which made me chuckle but he was still pinging the ball away lovely.

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Don't take this the wrong way, but why would you do a drill, without really knowing what you are doing and why you are doing it?

I see lots of swings and drills done by pros, but they may not apply or suit me. The best thing to do is to stick to drills given to you by a coach or pro, who has a specific idea as to what you are working towards.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I went down Sandmartins range today and experimented with placing a glove under my right arm. I'd seen Woods do this on TV some time ago and thought I'd give it a go.

Are you a member there? If it is something you've been shown or want to do to cure a specific fault then fine but if its just because you've seen a pro do it then I wouldn't bother. Have a word with Steve or Matt in the shop and see what they say

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't take this the wrong way, but why would you do a drill, without really knowing what you are doing and why you are doing it?

I see lots of swings and drills done by pros, but they may not apply or suit me. The best thing to do is to stick to drills given to you by a coach or pro, who has a specific idea as to what you are working towards.

Thats OK, I was just curious to see what difference it would make. With things like that you don't necessarily need to know do you? I mean if the pro does it and its easy to copy then why not try it? Anyway I sort of know that it helps to keep everything compact and will help with a flying elbow type fault. So if I had that fault without knowing then doing this drill would help flush it out. I like different feel that you get with this drill so will perservere a little more with it but that said I was hitting a fair share of fat shots so will keep an eye on that.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

Are you a member there? If it is something you've been shown or want to do to cure a specific fault then fine but if its just because you've seen a pro do it then I wouldn't bother. Have a word with Steve or Matt in the shop and see what they say

Not a member currently, I was for about 5-6 yrs around the time when if first opened. I know the staff there quite well so its never a problem for me to pop down there every once in a while to hit some balls. I have Steve's card for a video lesson which I will get around to when the season kicks in. My game is not what it should be right now so trying a few things out.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not a member currently, I was for about 5-6 yrs around the time when if first opened. I know the staff there quite well so its never a problem for me to pop down there every once in a while to hit some balls. I have Steve's card for a video lesson which I will get around to when the season kicks in. My game is not what it should be right now so trying a few things out.

HID works there in the office so I'm often up there on the practice ground and short game area. We'll have to have a game there in the summer