Getting that extra few yards...Help!

craig_chesterfield

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all,

started at my first club last year after years of social golf and have come down to a current 8. I have a decent short game and irons arent bad.

However, I am not very long from the tee with any driver (all seem consistent). Most other handicappers similar to mine seem to hit much further. Is there something I can do to ensure i get more distance?

I think i can come down much more with a bit more distance!

Thanks all,

Craig

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Craig, Got a similar problem, never hit it far, but always got it round, i'm currently back up to 8 but played off 5 a while ago only due to a tidy short game and consistantly hitting fairways. I tried a lot of different methods/lessons etc but finally decided what i had was good so left it alone. Don't want to spoil your thread mate but maybe what you've got is better than you realise.

craig_chesterfield

Club Champion
Visit site
Yeah I know what your saying! I am happy with being straight, but when you see a wide open fairway on a long hole that needs hitting, it would be nice to have that ammunition! Not had a lesson yet and dont really know what to try! im 6 ft 1 and 13.5 stone so feel I should be hitting further than I am!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Bob et al will be along shortly but for me it is about getting your weight to work for you. A lot of shorter hitters swing with just their arms and are immediately down on power to someone who uses more of their body.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Bob et al will be along shortly but for me it is about getting your weight to work for you. A lot of shorter hitters swing with just their arms and are immediately down on power to someone who uses more of their body.

Agree 100%. They also knock off a little loft in the process eeking out even more yards, better lag a few more yards, release better... a few more yards.... and it goes on.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How far is short? If you had to guess, what's your average drive distance at this time of year with no wind but not much run?

If you can get a video of your swing posted, there are some knowledgeable folks (Bobmac) that can give you some useful advice.

craig_chesterfield

Club Champion
Visit site
I will work on the video monty for sure!!

Im probably hitting around 220 - 235 yards at this time of year with not much carry at all.

And thanks for the tips justone, but i really dont know what that means. Still catching up on all the golfing lingo!!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most people talk about hitting it further,but that generally means hit it harder.
How about trying to learn how to draw the driver,this will give you the added
yards you need.
On the iron side of the game,and it sounds like yours is pretty good.
There are also a few ways of hitting it further,the draw,and my favorite
more club.
For example if an 8 iron goes 140,to hit an 8 iron 150 you would need to hit
it harder,why not just use a 7 iron,job done 10 extra yards.

craig_chesterfield

Club Champion
Visit site
hi Poker. Thats exactly what Im doing with my irons which is working well. However, on longer courses, if I had that extra yards from the tee I would be able to use a shorter club therefore allowing me to use a shorter iron. The draw is useful but not on all courses im finding!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
yeah I get what your saying brendy. any tips on how to get my weight working more??!!
Golden question, there are plenty of ways to do it. Some are not as pretty as others. (for example, I make a very noticeable shift on the backswing), others are more graceful.
Certainly shifting weight during the swing and having the feeling of going from back foot to front foot are you approach hitting the ball would help. Hitting through the ball (imagine an invisible ball 6 inches further to the left of your ball (for a right handed golfer)). Dont focus all of your effort just on the ball, you have to get the whole downward arc smooth and fast while maintaining balance otherwise it is a wasted exercise and the increase in speed is wasted with an inefficient hit.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
To hit the ball further, assuming your launch angle and spin rate are ok, you need more club head speed.
Have you seen your swing on video recently?

craig_chesterfield

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies guys! im going to try and get my swing on video and post it! Ill try shifting the weight more. Im unsure whether the shaft is absolutely right for me. Its an aldila rip 60g stiff shaft in my hawk!

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
for me distance is linked to good rotation

to improve make sure you have a full shoulder turn on the backswing turn your left shoulder so its over your right foot (assuming your left handed)

i thought i had a good shoulder turn, though went to the range the other day and realised i wasn't turning all the way back, when i did i probably got an extra 20 yeards carry out of the driver

it does feel a bit strange intitally, really turning behind the ball, though the distance improvement is great