Getting it up...

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The general concensus amongst the guys I play with, is that club-for-club, I generally hit the ball very high - to the extent that they think it's remarkably high. Whilst this is not a problem to me (unless it's particularly windy) I'm intrigued as to why. Is it me - or is it my clubs (Titleist AP1s with Project X 5.5 shafts - the latter bit of which actually mean diddly-squit to me). If it's me, what am I likely doing that others don't? And would there be benefit to me to learn to hit a flatter trajectory - I'm guessing the shots would be longer but I'm generally happy with length already.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have a shot with your friend's clubs next time and compare how high you hit the ball with them. I use AP2s and hit the ball high, but AP2s have 2 degrees more loft than AP1s.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i'd check

your stance, not too bent over and your not too close to the ball - you might be scooping the ball up/ hitting up onto the ball too much

ball position - not too far forward (depending on the club)

alignment feet and shoulders - if its open you maybe coming the across the ball a little and opening up the clubface to comensate- hence adding loft.

and grip might be too weak - again opening up club face and adding loft

Last edited:

BeachGolfer

Head Pro
Visit site
Re your shafts, does it say "flighted" under project x 5.5? That's a high launch shaft and while it isn't likely the root cause, certainly won't be helping your situation.

lee_leggett

Head Pro
Visit site
I have used Blades with a stiff shaft and now use part blade and MB combo, with a reg flex shaft. I have found no change to my ball flight. If i play the ball back in my stance then i hit a fade, or if i release hard and fast its a very low hook/draw.

I play the ball from the middle of my stance, I have been told by many pros that I have a good basis, Todays Golf game is all about carry, as courses are getting longer.

If it works then stick with in and dont change.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Flighted are only high launch in longer irons 3-5, they are actually lower flight in shorter irons.

Even though the AP1 is stronger loft than AP2, the design of it counteracts that and it is a highish launch iron.

PX 5.5 is a decent shaft, roughly similar in flex to TT DG S300 (actually slightly firmer) but a higher launch shaft. However, although it launches higher, it should have a flatter (i.e. more penetrating) flight.

Hard to say what is going on. There is almost certainly some player contribution, maybe through ball position, the way you strike, use of hands etc. But it depends what shaft suits you. If you have a lot of club head speed and hand action, maybe PX 5.5 isn't stiff enough, and a firmer lower launch shaft is needed. You probably need to have a pro put you on a launch monitor and get some numbers for swing speed, launch angle and spine ages.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Higher ballflight is associated with spine tilt away from the target at impact. Provided you are able to hit with a descending angle of attack then there's nothing wrong with it whatsoever and what you might lose (if anything) in distance you should gain with control. Only issue would be too much tilt which can cause the club to bottom out behind the ball (fat). What is your h/cap?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks all for answers so far. Plenty to think on. H/C is 20 and I tend to play the ball from the middle of my stance. Perhaps marginally forward for the 3 & 4 irons & the woods. Will have to check if they're Flighted (don't think so but they're in my locker). I did have them fitted originally, but these are replacements after being stolen and I've got my doubts that they're a "non-standard" fit. Might have a go with someone else's clubs - but I did hit it pretty high with my old clubs too (previous were Wilson Deep Reds)