Getting correct driver shaft length

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
You won't get longer than 44 1/2" off Scott. He's good.

44 or 44.5 was what I had in mind instead of the 45.75 stock shaft in it at the mo, but obv Scott knows best hence the trip to see him.

And I would not expect to see my longest drives getting any longer but fully expect my average to increase as I should have a much better chance of more consistent strikes due to the easier to control driver.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
An update on this thread- went and collected my now 44" driver and went to the range last night.

I can't advocate it enough what a difference... I thought it would be marginal but the dispersion was night and day.... Couldn't really work out distance as was a bit foggy the distance it was going so will find that out on course.

Still sliced the odd one but even they weren't as bad as my usual bad slice. Shots were either a small fade down the middle or a slight pull left so have booked a lesson for next week to work on the swing but also to find my optimum settings on the 915.

My bad shot was still popping it up in the air by skying it which is a fault I had before so that's something I need to work on... Spoke to someone who said just tee it lower but I don't wanna do that as it can just bring out a slice easier I'm led to believe

Last edited:

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
An update on this thread- went and collected my now 44" driver and went to the range last night.

I can't advocate it enough what a difference... I thought it would be marginal but the dispersion was night and day.... Couldn't really work out distance as was a bit foggy the distance it was going so will find that out on course.

Still sliced the odd one but even they weren't as bad as my usual bad slice. Shots were either a small fade down the middle or a slight pull left so have booked a lesson for next week to work on the swing but also to find my optimum settings on the 915.

My bad shot was still popping it up in the air by skying it which is a fault I had before so that's something I need to work on... Spoke to someone who said just tee it lower but I don't wanna do that as it can just bring out a slice easier I'm led to believe

I can't advocate this enough, we're all playing with a shaft too long.........in our drivers that is. :D

More importantly get some Scholls powder foot spray and use it on the face to see where the ball contact is.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
My bad shot was still popping it up in the air by skying it which is a fault I had before so that's something I need to work on...

Used to be the master of skied shots. You should have seen the state of my RBZ!!!! Stay behind the ball

Spoke to someone who said just tee it lower but I don't wanna do that as it can just bring out a slice easier I'm led to believe

It can encourage a downward strike, slice city. Orange over pink tees for me!

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Skyed shots from the driver are mainly caused by you getting ahead of the ball causing a downward strike. Add a little right lean away (if you are r/h golfer) and think about hitting up.

[video=youtube;yZOkHLQkHzc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZOkHLQkHzc[/video]

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
LOL beat you to it just watched this earlier- yeah I know why I do it I think I just need to work on it more and yeah dave I have a bag full of Orange tees that I hadn't been using.

Just need to practice finding the bottom of that arc more!!!

Mark_Aged_42

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just be be clear, when we talk about driver shaft length, what are the end points?
I have a Titleist 910, the shaft needs regripping, and I have been thinking of chopping off 1".

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They took an inch off the Butt- the pro told me an inch will be fine but anymore will probably affect the swing weight and stiffness too much

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has this happened yet.....??

Yes - session with Scott was last Saturday and I've just picked up my altered driver which is now an inch shorter than before.

Haven't hit it yet so have no feedback but I've also taken Scott up on his one and only suggestion re. working on hitting my driver better so we'll see how that goes.

Last edited:

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
Iam 5'2 so not a big lad. My driver and 3 wood are normal length.i have had lessons off two different pro's and I have asked them both if it would be a good idea to shorten it.Both said no it's fine.....my irons are about 3/4 of an inch shorter.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Iam 5'2 so not a big lad. My driver and 3 wood are normal length.i have had lessons off two different pro's and I have asked them both if it would be a good idea to shorten it.Both said no it's fine.....my irons are about 3/4 of an inch shorter.

How well do you hit the driver? What sort of FIR do yo get? If it's a decent number (for you) why change? If you feel you miss too many fairways go back to both or either and ask them to expand on their answer and why they wouldn't cut down to improve accuracy

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
How well do you hit the driver? What sort of FIR do yo get? If it's a decent number (for you) why change? If you feel you miss too many fairways go back to both or either and ask them to expand on their answer and why they wouldn't cut down to improve accuracy
I have a swing speed of 98 to 105 mph.hit with a small fade and hit about 50% of fairways easily and the others won't be along way off.And carry about 220 yards.

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
And they both said that with the driver at address I do stand far away from the ball. but the club comes back on plain.