Getting correct driver shaft length

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Like Daverollo I also read Tom Wishon article, makes a lot of sense.

I had my driver cut down last year and lost a few yards but was consistently much straiter, I also brought a jetspeed 3and 5 wood and found the shafts in them to long so I had them shortend as well.

There is a article in last months mag about shaft lengths you might find interesting.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
What also will change is the shaft flex, since a shorter shaft is relatively stiffer than a longer one. So depending on the flex of the un-cut shaft, this may play a role as well. If e.g. the shaft is almost too stiff before it gets cut, it may well be too stiff once it is shortened.

Would that be true for butt trimming rather than tip trimming? I was always taught that tip trimming affects flex hence tipping for flex butting for length.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Would that be true for butt trimming rather than tip trimming? I was always taught that tip trimming affects flex hence tipping for flex butting for length.

It hardly affects it at all IMO, certainly wasn't enough for me to notice.
The thing I did notice though was swingweight.

Just looking on club manufacturers websites it seems that the difference in swingweight between mens and women's drivers is around 7 swingweight points.
If you cut 1" off the shaft you go 6 swingweight points lighter.

Whether that would be a bad thing for some people I don't know :whistle:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
My Black Tie Matrix was cut down to a 3w length when I was fitted by TaylorMade at the Belfry last year for my SLDR, those that have played with me will tell you I don't really lose any significant distance with it and I'm up and around if not further than the average handicap golfer driver distances and due to the shorter length I have much more control of the clubhead which I didn't at full length.

Trojan615

Head Pro
Visit site
I managed to acquire a replacement shaft from the mizzy tour van for my 850 driver.... Needed an inch off the tip. Really noticed the diff , negligible distance loss but a lot more tighter dispersion

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It may be a cliche (certainly from my keyboard) but why not invest in a lesson and get to learn to use the one you have. I'm not certain playing around with the shaft length will make too much difference if you are still not swinging it properly

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It may be a cliche (certainly from my keyboard) but why not invest in a lesson and get to learn to use the one you have. I'm not certain playing around with the shaft length will make too much difference if you are still not swinging it properly

I assume you read the link about Tom Wishon thoughts about length of shafts in drivers so I'm struggling to understand why you think getting lessons is the best way forward.

I would have thought the first step is to make sure you have the correct length of shaft in your driver, getting lessons with a driver the wrong length would IMO be a waste of money.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I assume you read the link about Tom Wishon thoughts about length of shafts in drivers so I'm struggling to understand why you think getting lessons is the best way forward.

I would have thought the first step is to make sure you have the correct length of shaft in your driver, getting lessons with a driver the wrong length would IMO be a waste of money.

The issue I have is that irrespective of what shaft and what length you have, if you put a bad swing on the driver, it'll still be a bad shot. Technique and technology have to marry

daverollo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The issue I have is that irrespective of what shaft and what length you have, if you put a bad swing on the driver, it'll still be a bad shot. Technique and technology have to marry

So is that the stock answer to 90% of posts about equipment you'll give?

Absolutely, anyone who wants to improve should consider investing in lessons, but many amateurs have repeatable swings, flaws and all. The OP asked a good question to which some insightful answers have been given.

When you consider tour pro's rarely exceed 70% fairways hit, us ammys need all the help and insight going!

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

That's true to some extent, but if your using the wrong technology ie a shaft that is to long then technique and technology will never marry.

Would it not make more sense to get a driver with the right length and then get a lesson? :thup:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

So my understanding of this cutting the driver shaft down thing is that it's to improve control by making it easier to put a good swing on it...
The longer the shaft, the less easy it is to control movement of the mass at the end of the lever, this is one of the reasons that many amateurs struggle with long driver shafts. Look at how successful the Cobra Long Tom driver was... :rolleyes:

So contrary to your theory the need for a lesson is effectively negated by just simply making it easier to get that better, more controlled swing on the driver.

Strangely, getting lessons isn't the answer to all of the questions relating to how to hit a ball better and with more ease.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played golf for years and maintained a reasonable standard and I've always had lessons from some good Pro's over the years. Not been the best driver of a golf ball, a better iron player then woods. It wasn't till I went to a Wishon club fitter 2yrs ago that he gave me his driver 43.50", but it felt really solid in the hands, and i saw on the impact tape one high one toe one heely and with a hmmm he said ok, let me do something, came back passed me the driver back, it felt the same solid feel when I waggled it as before, I knew it was shorter then my MP630 by quite a bit, and looked the same shaft as before.

Couple of practise swings, then hit one............ I swung the club round back to him and said 'that's right out of the middle' he looked and asked hit another..... I did and did exactly the same as before, he looked and said 'the cheque will be in the post?' When I looked at the impact tape the red circle in the middle of the club face the 2 balls imprint did not break the red line at all.

The shaft, was the same playing profile as his 43.50" length, he just put a 44" shaft in the head. So I have 2 drivers that have 44" shafts, I'm getting a new driver head and shaft combo soon and that will be 44"

having a good technique is all well and good and I'm playing off 2-3 hc, but if you have not got the right length shaft, and having the ball impact inconsistently on the club face, your not going to be consistent. And that's one thing I read a lot on this forum, consistency!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So my understanding of this cutting the driver shaft down thing is that it's to improve control by making it easier to put a good swing on it...
The longer the shaft, the less easy it is to control movement of the mass at the end of the lever, this is one of the reasons that many amateurs struggle with long driver shafts. Look at how successful the Cobra Long Tom driver was... :rolleyes:

So contrary to your theory the need for a lesson is effectively negated by just simply making it easier to get that better, more controlled swing on the driver.

Strangely, getting lessons isn't the answer to all of the questions relating to how to hit a ball better and with more ease.

I'm not arguing that shorter shafts will give you more control. I get that. However the problem of not controlling the club head, having a poor swing path etc, doesn't go away and with minimal loft 8-12 degrees on average, there's still marginal room for error

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went out today on mi tod in these blustery conditions. After watching a GM vid about driving into the wind I was teeing it higher than normal. BUT something I've never done before was to also really grip down on the driver, my right thumb at the very bottom of the grip.

Well, blow me, it worked like a dream. Was creaming them into the wind and the spin was minimal as I was really focussing on hitting on the up, something I found so much easier to do. Hit all but 2 fairways with the driver and those were just in the first cut. Distance loss was none existent, into the wind I'd say I got more. It certainly helped me find the sweet spot for sure.

Went to see the pro after as to his thoughts on butt trimming it and we agreed that I should have another couple of knocks gripping down before we took anything off it, if indeed we should.

A very interesting experiment for me and looking forward to my next knock.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got a driver fitting booked with Scott Gourlay. Quite happy with my G30 but want a shorter than standard shaft.

Should be a fun day.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Went out today on mi tod in these blustery conditions. After watching a GM vid about driving into the wind I was teeing it higher than normal. BUT something I've never done before was to also really grip down on the driver, my right thumb at the very bottom of the grip.

Well, blow me, it worked like a dream. Was creaming them into the wind and the spin was minimal as I was really focussing on hitting on the up, something I found so much easier to do. Hit all but 2 fairways with the driver and those were just in the first cut. Distance loss was none existent, into the wind I'd say I got more. It certainly helped me find the sweet spot for sure.

Went to see the pro after as to his thoughts on butt trimming it and we agreed that I should have another couple of knocks gripping down before we took anything off it, if indeed we should.

A very interesting experiment for me and looking forward to my next knock.

If only someone had told you to try teeing it higher before... :rofl:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Being told that you would loose distance by shortening the driver is correct, but in theory only. The longer the shaft the further the head travels so accelerating to a higher speed, meaning a higher club head speed giving a higher ball speed. higher ball speed equals more distance. That's the theoretical lesson over.

In reality you will probably hit it further with the shorter shaft as you have more control, so getting a better strike. Using smash factor proves this scientifically. Smash = Ball speed/Head Speed. Optimum smash factor is 1.5 with a driver.

Longer shaft might get you up to 110 clubhead speed, but the poor strike might mean on average your at a 1.3 smash giving you 143MPH ball speed.

Shorter shaft might drop your head speed down to 105, but a better strike on average at say 1.45 smash will give you 152.25 ball speed. Which is going to hit it further and straighter and more consistently.