Getting back in the game and custom fitting advice/opinions

GregKael

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for opinions/advice. I'm just getting back into playing golf. I played a bit as a teenager/early 20s but never what you would call regular (probaly 4 rounds a year), and then about 4 years ago I started to get back into it bought some shiny new clubs (RBZ Irons, steel shaft regular flex; RBZ Driver and a couple of old cheap woods I inherited from my dad) off the shelf, played a couple of times but winter hit and didn't really play since. Until about 2 months ago. My local club was running a Get Into Golf promotion, which was remarkably good value in terms of lessons and access to the course to play. So now I'm up and running and really enjoying it even though it's mostly at the range/practice areas at the moment.
After a few lessons I feel comfortable and am mostly keeping the ball straight, getting reasonable yardage etc. but still with plenty of duff hits and crappy putting.

But what I've come to realise is that there's loads of advice stating that you should always get clubs fitted etc, but not really any guidance as to when it's likely to be most effective if you are basically starting out. Is it worth getting clubs refitted so early when my swing is likely to be evolving fairly rapidly? or hold out for a good few months/next season until really getting into the swing of things (pardon the pun).

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm in my first season back after about 15 years away and I've got custom fitted, trackmaned all my irons and use a laser on every approach shot, so far this season I've played very steady, probably steadier than I've ever played in the past....coincidence???

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Getting fitted will help your game. However, it won't help it anywhere near as much as getting lessons.

You decide.

By the way, you have some amazing courses in Aberdeen 👍

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you're having lessons, why not just have a chat with your pro? They'll have a much better idea of whether it will be make any difference or not than the chorus here. Even if you've finished lessons, just a quick chat in the pro shop would help.

fwiw, playing a bit rubbish is perfectly normal and very rarely to do with kit!

GregKael

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks folks. I'll have a chat with the pro when I'm up there this afternoon.

Guess I'm just anxious about whether or not any changes will be able to made to my existing clubs. I'm not overly keen on possibly buying a new set as they are in good condition and barely used.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks folks. I'll have a chat with the pro when I'm up there this afternoon.

Guess I'm just anxious about whether or not any changes will be able to made to my existing clubs. I'm not overly keen on possibly buying a new set as they are in good condition and barely used.

If you don't want to buy new clubs then don't, and don't worry about getting fitted. But once you are ready to get a new set definitely get fitted, or even better go to a club builder who will pick the best components from a wide range of manufacturers.

Good luck with the progress though, just remember even the pros hit terrible shots so don't get disheartened when you do

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Might be an idea to have a 9 hole playing lesson. The pro will be able to tell you where you need to improve, might be a little early to get custom fit/your current irons might be okay for your current ability. My story is very similar to yours and when I came back to my old (OLD!) clubs they were fine for messing about. When I joined a club I treated myself to custom fitting at Ping which was great. A few years later a pro advised me I had outgrown those irons and I picked up my current ones on eBay having never hit them or the shaft. They turned out great.

Best of luck with the refound game, I don't remember it being this addictive...