George Washington golf course Newcastle

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
One of the boys is heading south to Yorkshire so he might not fancy heading north, thanks though.
No worries. If you are looking For a night out, washington village has a few pubs but never been. If you like real ales, get a taxi to the ship isis in Sunderland. Then you can wander down to the kings arms and the saltgrass and grab a taxi back. It’s downhill that route.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Incidentally @KenL I'm sure you will have a good weekend whatever. We are just trying to refine it a little to help on the golf side, considering the amount of wet weather we have had.

Zig

Visit site
There was certainly a tiny bit of mud on my shoes after I played SC on Friday 🤣
Great course though, loved it 👌
Sorry I couldn't join in... had the family away to Barcelona for the weekend. Glad you enjoyed it... you need to come back in the summer - we change layouts to the Micklem next month which includes our best holes nearest the beach (and takes out the Par 5 6th hole which is the weakest of all). Hope you enjoyed Cleveland too!

Zig

Visit site
There are spots available either side of Saturday lunchtime at Seaton Carew; it's £200 for a 4ball with bacon butty/tea&coffee. 20 mins drive south. https://www.seatoncarewgolfclub.co.uk

South Shields is a possibility as others have said. Or the drive north like Lord Tyrion said to some of Northumberland's links. Most other courses in the area are inland/clay based, which makes the region a nightmare in the wet unfortunately. Even the more expensive options, such as Ramside/Close House/Wynyard aren't great in the winter/wet Spring.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry I couldn't join in... had the family away to Barcelona for the weekend. Glad you enjoyed it... you need to come back in the summer - we change layouts to the Micklem next month which includes our best holes nearest the beach (and takes out the Par 5 6th hole which is the weakest of all). Hope you enjoyed Cleveland too!

I mentioned that we’d missed the par 5 dogleg where you can drive over the hedges, I take it that’s the Micklem layout?
Enjoyed Cleveland but personally it’s isn’t up there with SC 😬

Zig

Visit site
I mentioned that we’d missed the par 5 dogleg where you can drive over the hedges, I take it that’s the Micklem layout?
Enjoyed Cleveland but personally it’s isn’t up there with SC 😬
Yep, good knowledge! There's a long par 4 straight out to sea, then the par 5 you mention, and then another par 4 along the dunes too (you walk straight on after the lagoon hole, instead of coming back in for the drivable par 4 'crocodile'). The bushes were all removed a couple of winters ago, just needs a little while for the marram grasses in the dunes to re-establish where they were taken out.

Can't comment on Cleveland - years since I played it. Used to like it when the first and 18th were in the first field... not too sure what to make of it without them. 🤷‍♂️

Springveldt

Visit site
South Shields is very dry just now & the overnight rain won't affect it much. Greens were hollow tined & sanded 3 weeks ago. Some sand is still on the surface but they are fairly quick for this time of year. Green fee is £22.
Is that fee being signed on by a member or did I get ripped off paying £27 on Monday gone?

As you said, course was bone dry and greens were very quick for this time of year, really enjoyed it. Would have probably enjoyed it more if I didn't play like a complete hacker and actually top 2 of my drives 40 yards into the cabbage. :LOL:

evemccc

Visit site

Thanks @Zig - Super courses…thought the huge, undulating greens and bunkers around the greens were great - lovely firm turf and a decent wind made for a proper links day out at SC. No yardage book for sale so I can’t remember all the holes but the Par 3 Doctor was superb as well as many others

The last couple of holes at Cleveland were my pick of Cleveland — I love coming into town and seeing the church spires and houses come into view as you get closer 👍

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Is that fee being signed on by a member or did I get ripped off paying £27 on Monday gone?

As you said, course was bone dry and greens were very quick for this time of year, really enjoyed it. Would have probably enjoyed it more if I didn't play like a complete hacker and actually top 2 of my drives 40 yards into the cabbage. :LOL:
Apologies, I was quoting the member's guest rate. Happy to host anyone.