George Washington golf course Newcastle

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It's just well known in the area for not draining well and most courses this way are sodden (except the links courses of course). I actually went and played South Shields yesterday as I'm sick of ploughing through mud and temp greens at my home course.
16 mains and not too muddy today. Might be back to square one tomorrow with a downpour forecast tonight.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I have it on good authority that the course is in a terrible state right now. Very muddy.

That’s from a friend who played there a week ago. There’s a ton of rain due overnight here in Sunderland and more showers during the week.

I’d seriously ask if you can delay the trip by a month.

The end of may is normally very good over here.

If you do play and get the desire to skip the 2nd round, Sharpley and south shields aren’t far away and both in decent condition (shields best). Both are fairly open. More so Sharpley which I class as a confidence building course.

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I have it on good authority that the course is in a terrible state right now. Very muddy.

That’s from a friend who played there a week ago. There’s a ton of rain due overnight here in Sunderland and more showers during the week.

If you do play and get the desire to skip the 2nd round, Sharpley and south shields aren’t far away and both in decent condition (shields best). Both are fairly open. More so Sharpley which I class as a confidence building course.
Thanks @Jigger . We'll be going ahead. If it as bad as you say I'll look into your suggestions or head home early.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk

South Shields is very dry just now & the overnight rain won't affect it much. Greens were hollow tined & sanded 3 weeks ago. Some sand is still on the surface but they are fairly quick for this time of year. Green fee is £22.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Are you heading back north on Sunday? If so then you could try Dunstanburgh or Alnmouth Village. Both links courses and will be dry.

If you are staying at GW still then Sharpley is a good shout.
Dunstanburgh is one of my favourites. If @KenL is travelling north I’d add it anyway as an extra!