Gary Smith - Linear Method

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I believe Stephen Gallacher uses this method also?

I have been flirting with it but when under pressure it's hard to trust myself with the pitches with the hands back! If I lose tempo at all its knifed!!

You have to keep rotating over the left foot and let the body act as the engine. I have struggled on the course with it and in particular the thinned shot but it's starting to come. On the plus side, it's taken the duff out of the equation

GMAC88

Head Pro
Visit site
Always good that you know it's always going more than a foot :) I struggle a bit with the bunkers as the sand in ours is really heavy, builders sand probably, and I found the ball going really low out of them!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Always good that you know it's always going more than a foot :) I struggle a bit with the bunkers as the sand in ours is really heavy, builders sand probably, and I found the ball going really low out of them!

A slightly longer swing, slower paced turn and let the right hand feed underneath. In my lesson at Sutton Green with Gary Smith, the bunker was wet and also heavy sand, but I found, perhaps with Gary looking on, that a pause at the top and a shallow swing with the right hand working into the sand and under the ball could still get it out high

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because everything is supposed to be square to the target as opposed to open like traditional teachings.

Feet, knees, shoulders and club face square. Straight lines.

Cheers Gary :thup:

Re the club face, I assume you can still open it to alter distance, height etc or are you meant to keep it square all the time?

Very rarely I hit a pitch/chip with a square club face.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Re the club face, I assume you can still open it to alter distance, height etc or are you meant to keep it square all the time?

The club face can be opened a tad, especially in the bunker as that only adds the bounce. I've found it a little hard to gauge distance more so with it opened but it's something I'm working on, especially for short pitches from the rough

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Not sure pal. I don't like a square face either. much prefer to open it as I am less likely to stick the leading edge into the ground.

Ive tried the linear method but its the square face that puts me off it.

Many of the facets of it are the same as those teaching how the use the bounce. Neutral shaft, club head over taking hands, slipping the club in under the ball etc.

I can see no benefit of leaning so far left and turning around a left leg. I just dont get that at all. The leaning left thing promotes digging for me and turning around left leg doesn't compute. I let the hands do the work.