Gary Player

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Love the bloke. I walked past him at Edinburgh airport a few years back, struggling with his trolley which was nearly toppling over with luggage and golf bags. We made eye contact but to my eternal shame I didn’t offer to help him, I was too star struck.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Love the bloke. I walked past him at Edinburgh airport a few years back, struggling with his trolley which was nearly toppling over with luggage and golf bags. We made eye contact but to my eternal shame I didn’t offer to help him, I was too star struck.

Going to take you for a full on guilt trip now ... :)

I was working at the Australian GP and Sterling Moss was in the Paddock. I went and got a bit of paper and asked him for his autograph, and he did and we had a chat as well .. the age deficit is 40yrs. He is one of my dad's heroes as well.
But after that exchange, his wife approached me and she said thank you, and that I had made an old man very happy. (I thought she was talking about my dad initially! :ROFLMAO:)
I guess the thing is this, despite of all the great things people think they have done, it's nice to be treated like a person and spoken to as a person.

Next time man up, say "hey Gary, can I help you!" "have you had a good trip ...?" you may not get told to go away

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Gary Player does talk a load of mince. But he’s a character and entertaining in his own way. I think of him as the eccentric old bloke from the care home kind of guy.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Going to take you for a full on guilt trip now ... :)

I was working at the Australian GP and Sterling Moss was in the Paddock. I went and got a bit of paper and asked him for his autograph, and he did and we had a chat as well .. the age deficit is 40yrs. He is one of my dad's heroes as well.
But after that exchange, his wife approached me and she said thank you, and that I had made an old man very happy. (I thought she was talking about my dad initially! :ROFLMAO:)
I guess the thing is this, despite of all the great things people think they have done, it's nice to be treated like a person and spoken to as a person.

Next time man up, say "hey Gary, can I help you!" "have you had a good trip ...?" you may not get told to go away

Thanks for that! 😂

My excuse is that I was with work colleagues, trying to find our way out and to get a taxi. But still, should’ve ditched them for a once in a lifetime chance!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
He's one of a very small number who actually changed attitudes to/about Golf. For that he cerrtainly has my respect! For some of his views, I find him too OTT.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
For as long as I can recall (back to BBC pro-celeb golf times) he has come across as a bit of a know-it-all show-off. That said - a lot of his show-offery comes across rather forced/staged which suggests that face-2-face he isn't really like that. Anyway - as far as I am concerned he is allowed to puff his chest out a bit. A Legend from Legendary times.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
...and he is a bit of a legend at my place. Bobby Locke was a member at my place back in the 1950s. When Gary Player turned pro and first came to play in the UK he hooked up with Locke (he might have lodged with him) and they played together at my track.

Aside - we have an area just off our 9th fairway in the light rough that is referred to as Locke's Ledge as that is where Bobby Locke inevitably and deliberately placed his tee shot. And to this day that is the area I try and get to.

Love this short vid of Player putting as Locke

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
He said he had beaten his age in his last three thousand rounds ! Not a fan though, and does love to talk about himself. He would make a good forumer though !!

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
One surprising fact about Player is something I found in his golf tips.

'When putting keep your head still until you hear the ball drop.'

Which suggests in all his career he has never seen the ball enter the hole.