Gapping session

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
So final part of my preparation for the new season was a gapping session with the club pro and the GC2. Big carry gaps between 8I - PW so will need to practice taking a bit off to cover those. However most bizarre thing was 7I and 6I going exactly the same distance and this is on like for like strikes. Having the 6 iron strengthened by 3 degrees to hopefully fix it.

For those interested:
4H - 182
5I - 172
6I - 153
7I - 153
8I - 143
9I - 125
PW - 110

To be honest I'd booked the session because I was baffled by my yardages on course and from GG and wondered if it was me or the clubs...

Anyway thought I'd post to say it's something I've not done before and has proven to be a very worthwhile exercise. So if you aren't sure about your yardages or have questions on certain clubs could be worth doing as well :thup:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
wow theyre pretty horrid imo Tiger, big gaps at the bottom end and smaller gaps at the top end:

15/18/10/0/19/10

you have 3 clubs from 110-140 and 4 clubs from 150-180 would much prefer it the other way round personally.

was the 6 iron out from where it shouldve been? personally would prefer to see 9 8 and 7 weakened lofts slightly and the 6 strengthened but not as much as 3 degrees, but then i prefer more options at the shorter end (where i should be more accurate)

Tiger

Money List Winner
No idea why the 6 is out so much they are going to recheck the loft. I try to rotate clubs i practice with...

The main reason for the big gaps is quality of strike 8I - PW I nail out of the middle every time. 7I - 5I I don't middle. PW - 9I is a 5 degree rather than 4 degree difference. To be honest I like the ratio Fundy as we have no short par 3s. Our shortest is perfect for the 8I as currently set. So I have a club for all of them. My plan for this year is to aim for 9I distance for all approaches so I will need to learn to finesse if I'm a little short or long...

First time I've thought about my irons in this way. This season is a progression year. When I'm more consistent then I may become a little more prescriptive on yardages but take your point :thup:

Last edited:

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How often did you hit the clubs? maybe too small a sample size and you had an off day swinging? I'd maybe go back for a 2nd session and compare the numbers rather than jump in with a big de-loft

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Are the just carry?

I had mine and was in a similar position with 4 and 5 iron. 4 going just 3 yards further. But with a lower flight. So their total distances would have a bigger gap.

Tiger

Money List Winner
Are the just carry?

I had mine and was in a similar position with 4 and 5 iron. 4 going just 3 yards further. But with a lower flight. So their total distances would have a bigger gap.

They are just carry distances. Flight was slightly different but not massively. In terms of swing it was pretty good today. I (and my pro) can tell a good strike when I hit one and we'd always recheck so probably 3 good strikes per club all going the same distance +/- 1 yard.

Appreciate the concern gents but the driver for me getting checked was confusion over my GG stats (obviously including roll) but which backed up the findings on the GC2.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Tiger before modifying any of your clubs, Id try another set as a control to see whether its the clubs themselves.

Last time I had range session with the trackman in decent conditions, my gapping was more than erratic too. The difference between the middle of the bag was just not right, i've changed irons since so want to get back out to redo them.
3i 209 carry
4i 194 carry -15yds
5i 187 carry -7yds
6i 172 carry -15yds
7i 148 carry -24yds
8i 142 carry -6 yds

Odder again was the 3 and 5 woods, I carried the 5w further than the 3 wood and both were R11S fitted for me, 3 wood ran out a little more though, chopped in the 3w for a 2i though.

Bloody game cant just be simple.

Tiger

Money List Winner
Hey brendy as nice as it would be I can't justify buying new irons to fix a gapping issue ;) deed is done they have adjusted the loft and I'll find out Saturday how it works out. I think I nailed about 8 shots with the 6 all 153 yards. We did leave it and come back to it as well.

When I get down to single figures I can be more particular but until then I just really want to know this iron will go a bit further than that one ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not great gaps and good that you've got them adjusted. I would still go back in a couple of weeks and make sure there is a reasonable gap throughout the bag though so you can pull a club with confidence and not second guessimg how far it might go

Tiger

Money List Winner
True Homer. I was playing our 9 hole course recently. 3rd hole into the wind 122 yards. At that time logically pulled the 8 iron out as didn't know my distances but thought with the wind it would be too long for a 9. Nailed the shot and admired it through the air only to see it vanish behind the green when it came down. Had a 130 yard shot a little later and didn't know what to do so I chunked my 8 iron 50 yards :eek:

Was discussing it with our pro and confidence you've got the right club often leads to a better strike whereas indecision as I had before I knew often leads to a poor outcome. Really think this could be the year I get my game sorted out :)

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hey brendy as nice as it would be I can't justify buying new irons to fix a gapping issue ;) deed is done they have adjusted the loft and I'll find out Saturday how it works out. I think I nailed about 8 shots with the 6 all 153 yards. We did leave it and come back to it as well.

When I get down to single figures I can be more particular but until then I just really want to know this iron will go a bit further than that one ;)

I meant borrow, not buy! Jeez unless you are made of money no-one would buy blindly :D