Gapping Session?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's only 9 quid for 100 balls I think.

Another thing I'm wondering though, if I go and do it at an outdoor TopTracer now I'm only going to get winter yardages aren't I? But I suppose you can still get the gaps on a relative scale.
yes you will.

if its only 50 and its on a proper Trackman i would do it if you really don't know how far each club goes.

i did mine with my ball of choice on a grass practice ground with a lazer

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Another thing I'm wondering though, if I go and do it at an outdoor TopTracer now I'm only going to get winter yardages aren't I? But I suppose you can still get the gaps on a relative scale.

I really don't understand why the average golfer gets so hung up on gapping.
Regardless of the balls a bigger flaw for most is the impact conditions created by the matting, in the context of gapping.
But ultimately if you use a DMD properly you have accurate distance data for you, your clubs and the current conditions everytime you play; why do you want anything else.?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really don't understand why the average golfer gets so hung up on gapping.
Regardless of the balls a bigger flaw for most is the impact conditions created by the matting, in the context of gapping.
But ultimately if you use a DMD properly you have accurate distance data for you, your clubs and the current conditions everytime you play; why do you want anything else.?
Well it's just something to confirm one's suspicions. I have a suspicion that my 27° doesn't go much further than a 7 iron, but I don't know for sure if I'm right or wrong and I don't have any numbers to prove it either. Each shot on the course can be affected by a number of variable factors, but doing a gapping session reduces the numbers of variables I'd have thought - since you hit every shot from the same place in the same conditions.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I would suggest taking a load of "pick ups" from your games on the course, so you have a better impression of how you do. I always took winter golf as more realistic of distances shot. I always felt knowing how far you carried the ball was more important than total distance, and knowing how far you actually hit the ball in the winter is mightily important.:)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would suggest taking a load of "pick ups" from your games on the course, so you have a better impression of how you do. I always took winter golf as more realistic of distances shot. I always felt knowing how far you carried the ball was more important than total distance, and knowing how far you actually hit the ball in the winter is mightily important.:)
That's another good point. From course experience I only know rough total distances, carry distances are a bit harder to work out.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well it's just something to confirm one's suspicions. I have a suspicion that my 27° doesn't go much further than a 7 iron, but I don't know for sure if I'm right or wrong and I don't have any numbers to prove it either. Each shot on the course can be affected by a number of variable factors, but doing a gapping session reduces the numbers of variables I'd have thought - since you hit every shot from the same place in the same conditions.
I have never done a "gaping session" ever. I just remember how far I hit the ball on average with each club. In general I add one for winter, and probably deduct one for summer:)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the idea, I think that would only work if I'm on a course that's empty so I can hit a few balls from certain positions - otherwise it would take quite a long time to build enough data on the longer clubs I think. I might do this in later in the year when we have the summer evenings back.

I think you could do it quicker than you think, especially as most GPS devices have a yardage measure for distance hit. So, you hit a decent strike 7 iron, either hit the record for the distance hit or just calculate the distance hit from the new yardage and there you have it 7 iron = 195 yards (forum distance), jot it down while someone else is hitting.

D

Deleted member 3432

That's another good point. From course experience I only know rough total distances, carry distances are a bit harder to work out.

I find that a little strange, how can you know total distance when the difference from firm to soft conditions is like night and day. Same for wind, ball doesn't run as far struck into the wind.

I reckon you need to have a good idea of your carry distance for each club as a starting point. Then you can estimate roll, add or subtract for wind and again add or substract for warm or cold air.

Learn carry distance then you can start learning how ground conditions and wind effect how far the ball goes.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have never done a "gaping session" ever. I just remember how far I hit the ball on average with each club. In general I add one for winter, and probably deduct one for summer:)
just about sums it up, i only did mine when i went back to blades and then the 52 and 58 as i'd never had those lofts before.

but like you before that never bothered

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

I think you may be surprised how much variation there will be with each club (strike is king as they say). But you should gain a good idea.
I've been able to confirm a suspicion with a gap wedge, and also around longer iron vs hybrid - although not done anything about it yet! ?

Last edited:

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A playing partner went through a gapping session recently and was surprised to discover that he actually carried some of his clubs the same distance and others! He's dropped the "duplicates" from the bag and has a much better idea of distances for the clubs he has in there.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A local range has an indoor launch monitor that you can hire for approx £20 per hour. Take your own balls and it gives accurate data as it has a GC quad. Might be worth seeing if any club or range nearby offer the same service

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd shop around. A local pro here will do a full bag gap test for 25 quid and added wedge matrix of half and full shots for 35.

sunshine

Visit site
Not sure if you're saying do it or not? lol

Well more information is always helpful, you will commit to the shot better if you feel confident you have the right club, which leads to better results. It's up to you if you think it's worth £50.

Moor Park is a premium golf club, you could probably get it cheaper somewhere else.

If you're looking for a range with top tracer, the A1 at borehamwood has it.

Springveldt

Visit site
For £50 I would expect a loft and lie check thrown in at that price.

Last year I just hired a local place's hitting bay with GC2 for an hour at the pricey sum of £10. Will probably do the same again this year.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For £50 I would expect a loft and lie check thrown in at that price.

Last year I just hired a local place's hitting bay with GC2 for an hour at the pricey sum of £10. Will probably do the same again this year.
I have no idea if there's anywhere near me that has that option to be honest. TopTracer might be the best bet for me. I've basically decided not to do the £50 gapping session though, because if I'm having an off hitting day then that's 50 quid down the toilet.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I hired a trackman last year for £10 for an hour and just did it myself but as mentioned £50 sounds steep for just a gapping session

You just need to make sure you find a good way of finding your average. I.E do you take out the real bad ones? Do you take out the real good ones?

How many do you hit to make sure you don't get tired at the other end of the bag etc etc.

There should be somewhere which allows you to hire their trackman or the like, basically all the clubs and even driving ranges around me have that facility now.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
completely the opposite - how you hit a 5h from a range mat is likely to have a greater variance from how you hit it from the fairway than the impact of all these other variables on the course (whatever they are.)?
You are going to have to factor in on course variables on every shot anyway - so taking them into account when evaluating distances across clubs is a necessity.

Springveldt

Visit site
I have no idea if there's anywhere near me that has that option to be honest. TopTracer might be the best bet for me. I've basically decided not to do the £50 gapping session though, because if I'm having an off hitting day then that's 50 quid down the toilet.
Are there any golf shops/fitters near you that have launch monitors? Just ask them if you can hire them. I had no idea the one near me did it, I was in looking at some clubs and asked if they hired out the bay and they said "yeah, £10 an hour. I'll give you a quick demo on the software and then leave you to it".

I've hired it a few times now just to work on things, it's only £4 more than the local driving range and I can hit my own ball instead of flight limited rocks and I get distances I can trust.

If the worse comes to the worse just book a 30 minute slot at your local American Golf and hit your own clubs. :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
completely the opposite - how you hit a 5h from a range mat is likely to have a greater variance from how you hit it from the fairway than the impact of all these other variables on the course (whatever they are.)?
You are going to have to factor in on course variables on every shot anyway - so taking them into account when evaluating distances across clubs is a necessity.
You've lost me. Surely you need to know how far you hit the club without the variables, otherwise you have nothing to apply the variables to. o_O You talk as if there is no merit to getting all the information you can and that I might as well just guess.

Are there any golf shops/fitters near you that have launch monitors? Just ask them if you can hire them. I had no idea the one near me did it, I was in looking at some clubs and asked if they hired out the bay and they said "yeah, £10 an hour. I'll give you a quick demo on the software and then leave you to it".

I've hired it a few times now just to work on things, it's only £4 more than the local driving range and I can hit my own ball instead of flight limited rocks and I get distances I can trust.

If the worse comes to the worse just book a 30 minute slot at your local American Golf and hit your own clubs. :ROFLMAO:
Honestly have no clue - I can't recall seeing a studio with launch monitor etc at any of the clubs we've visited, unless it's well hidden somehow. Other than Moor Park, hence the original post. I don't know if they let you hire the room and be left to your own devices.

Funnily enough I have a free 'custom fit' booked at AG this Saturday morning, but purely to try out some driving irons.