Gapping Session?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You've lost me. Surely you need to know how far you hit the club without the variables, otherwise you have nothing to apply the variables to. o_O You talk as if there is no merit to getting all the information you can and that I might as well just guess.

Honestly have no clue - I can't recall seeing a studio with launch monitor etc at any of the clubs we've visited, unless it's well hidden somehow. Other than Moor Park, hence the original post. I don't know if they let you hire the room and be left to your own devices.

Funnily enough I have a free 'custom fit' booked at AG this Saturday morning, but purely to try out some driving irons.

We have a couple of clubs near to me that have an indoor studio, the type where you can play Pebble Beach etc? You pay your money, go to the room on your own, close the door and whack away. When I have done it I put music on from my phone, you are left to your own devices. You use proper balls, you can use your own as you are hitting into a net, and you could get the figures you need. Clearly you are not getting the same figures as if you were outside on grass in different weather but you are getting the gaps which is largely what you are looking for. Equally, if you know that you hit a PW 100yds and you hit it 110yds on the computer then you just adjust all of the figures afterwards to allow for this.

I have only done it with my son, playing courses, but we have both muttered about using it to look at the numbers, practice some things one time. That might be the route for you. I don't know the costs in your part of the world but up here they are around £8-10 per person per hour so pretty cheap.

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
Absolutely go and do it. If anything, it's going to give you some clarity and confidence on how far each club goes.

I've done a gapping session and found it really useful. I rarely doubt which club is the right one for the job. I play off single figures but I wasn't off single figs when I did the session. The handicap is irrelevant as we all hit inconsistent shots, whether you're off 1 or 17. The margin is greater for a 17 of course, but that's the reason you have a handicap!!

A word of advice. Don't turn it into a long drive competition. Hit the shots you'd hit on the course. There's no point in a few extra yards for vanity as you won't be able to recreate under pressure on the course.

Hope that helps and enjoy!!

sunshine

Visit site
Note Springveld's location is Northumberland - prices likely to be much much cheaper than down in London.

You could try customgolfstix at Pinner Hill. The guy has trackman etc for indoor and outdoor use.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Note Springveld's location is Northumberland - prices likely to be much much cheaper than down in London.

You could try customgolfstix at Pinner Hill. The guy has trackman etc for indoor and outdoor use.
I've looked at the one Mark1751 suggested and it looks just the job. £30 for an hour is reasonable and I can get there with a train and a bus.

I've looked at CustomGolfStix before, I have a feeling he only does custom fitting and lie/loft check with you, but I'm not sure.