Game Golf User Group

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
It has a reputation as a ball losing course, yeah. Lots of gorse but some of the best views in Edinburgh. And it's run by the Council.

There are just some holes you have to be sensible off the tee, even taking as little as an 8 iron to keep it in play, as I did yesterday. On other holes there are double fairways and you can open the shoulders though, like on my first shot in the video.

I have enjoyed watching your swings etc, but you must have a LOT of time on your hands :D

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How long does everyones gadget last? I played sunday with it fully charged, went out tonight for a few holes with it just to get some stats but it was dead already.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Getting close to pulling the trigger on this...and have a few questions.

Does it always beep when you tag the club and if you tag it then have to take a step back as you need to re-setup for what ever reason, can you do this or do you just retag it again before hitting?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Once tagged, that's it. You can do whatever you like...then just tag your next club when you get to your ball after you've hit it

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Only used it once today but as far as I'm aware once you've tagged you can step off the shot without retagging. The green light stays on for a minute if you want check to ensure you've tagged. No need to re do it. It will always beep if you've successfully tagged

D

Deleted member 16999

You can tag every club in your bag before a shot if you like, it records them, once you get to the editing at upload, delete the clubs you didn't use

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having bought the unit from Fish, I had my first round on Saturday. First impressions are that it is a great piece of kit that should nicely expose the several weaknesses in my game :confused: I am not sure if it was a distraction or actually made me concentrate on the shot more, knowing it would be on record, but I played better than I have for a good while.
I am very impressed that it just worked, straight out of the box and the basic operation is very easy to use. I am looking forward to seeing my game in a more informative light after a few rounds and exploring all the more advanced stuff.

Roland

Assistant Pro
www.canal-view.co.uk
Anyone tried the app yet? Downloaded it my phone last night but I haven't been able to test it yet.

I've used it with mixed results, first time it froze on my after a few holes, I think this was because I kept switching the screen off before I put it back in my pocket. 2nd time it worked fairly well but found some holes it had double counted some of my tags but managed to edit them out.Had a bit of trouble ending the round as I clicked on it when I wasn't near the wifi in the clubhouse and had to force close the app to get it to end. Yesterday had the same problem ending the round and after I force closed it it had only stored 12 holes. GPS is on all the time so it eats your battery, mine goes down from 90% to 30% in a round.
Quite fiddly to use, and you have to work this out because I haven't discovered any user guidance for it. My advice is:
Make sure you are connected to Wifi or 3/4G before tapping 'play' once course is loaded lock the screen using the app's lock button. Tag your clubs after you've played shot then you don't have playing partners waiting for you to take your shot while you are faffing around. To tag a club slide padlock to + sign and select club, slide it upwards to record a putt. Try not to switch off screen when you put it in your pocket. Important - when you finish a hole click on the arrow at top of screen to advance to next hole, if you don't the shots are recorded for the previous hole and there is no way of editing this afterwards. When you have finished you need to unlock screen and tap hole number, this brings up menu to select end round. As I've said this bit has not worked smoothly so far so would be pleased to hear any work around.
The App definitely gives you a taste for the features of game golf but the app could well drive me to buy the real thing!

It would be great to hear others experiences as this seem to be the only place I've found where users share their experiences.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
havnt tried the app as I have the real thing, but it does seem to be fiddly to get right and possibly time consuming and distracting whilst out on the course when you should be focusing on other things.

with the real thing, its a quick tag, feel the vibration as it registers. play your shot, incorporate it into your pre shot routine and its a doddle.

DaveL

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How do I join in on the GM challenges? There's no search function for them...

If you follow Simon Barnard he will add you to the challenges automatically, but I think he has gone away on holiday. If you follow me I will invite you to the may challenge

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
How many rounds before you see a reasonable accurate yardages for your clubs?

Got 3 and a half rounds tagged so far. Some of them seem reasonable but others not. I'm hoping by the end of the month to have some steady yardages to use on the course.

ventura

Head Pro
Visit site

Got 3 and a half rounds tagged so far. Some of them seem reasonable but others not. I'm hoping by the end of the month to have some steady yardages to use on the course.

I've got around 25 rounds now and haven't found they average out to what I'd expect. I play on a fairly hilly & windy course so I might hit 7 iron uphill into the wind from 130 but the next hole downwind and downhill I'll hit the same club from 170.

The other thing I've learnt is I hit a lot of non full shots with irons (half shots, punch shots etc.) which isn't something I've ever practiced but have started now.

If getting averages for your clubs is what you're after I think spending the money (a lot less than game golf) on a gapping session on a launch monitor would be more worthwhile. Would give the added benefit of carry and total distances too.

D

Deleted member 16999

To be honest after 12 months use and over 100 rounds, I don't think they're too far off for "flat" level shots, I reckon through Game Golf I have a far more realistic outlook stood over a shot, ie, always thought my 7 Iron went 150yds, now I use my 6 Iron for that distance, Game Golf showed me I can hit a 7 Iron 150, but on average it was nearer 140 and 30% off my shots with it into the green were coming up short.
In essence I think Game Golf is more about all stats rather than yardages, which I still want more than any other stat.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
If getting averages for your clubs is what you're after I think spending the money (a lot less than game golf) on a gapping session on a launch monitor would be more worthwhile. Would give the added benefit of carry and total distances too.

I'm finding that they are levelling out a little as the course I play is similar by the sounds of it. But that isn't the only reason I've got GG. Find a lot of the other information to be useful, and become more useful with more data gathered.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I already know my distances from doing stuff on launch monitors and I actually expect GG to come up a lot shorter once I start loading my round as these will include all the duffed shots which take the average down anyway. I haven't bought it for that and more interested in where I hit shots with my clubs statistics especially how close I get from different distances and with different clubs (not very at the moment) and see what else it gleams