Gambling on the course 2.0

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
can't say I am a fan. Not blessed with a high income and feel somewhat railroaded into it if playing a swindle or something that the others want to gamble. They never take into account that someone may not have a lot of money.
With friends happy to buy the first round as a loser, it will even out anyway as the next round will be bought by someone else

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m not keen on putting more than £3 in, £1 front, back and overall.

Even that has caused fallouts.

I’m fine to do it but I wouldn’t suggest it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wouldn’t play in a group who were placing bets on outcomes of shots and/or holes as the round was ongoing. That would be a total No-No for me. Used to find myself play occasionally with a guy who would take bets on him holing chips. I never took part - I tried to avoid.

For our rollup £1 entry into the pot, pot divied up to top 3; then in each group of four, a 4BBB £1 front; £1 back; £1 round (with some groups we’ll do 50p/50p/50p); 20p bits (birdies of better, sandy pars and chippy pars).

Not comfortable playing for more.

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
we play £1/£1/£1/£1 Bowmaker fairly regularly. One of the guys has an app to select the teams - can be random or you can select certain players to be together (if guests are playing) or can keep low handicappers apart to make the teams more even. Works well with the winnings spread fairly evenly throughout the year. Never have anything like 'Bet I can get it over the tree/water/bunker from here', etc

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
We are two quid in each and divvy up the pot, normally paying two places.

Preferred formant is pairs better ball, then 4 or 3-man teams (playing the waltz, or 3/2 to count from 3 or 4, or whatever the number of players allows really.)

Occasionally an individual stableford, though rarely. But above all, we try and keep it fun and "for the bants" as the kids say.