Galvin Green pricing

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You cant buy waterproofs and pierce them and expect them to be replaced just because you spent a lot of money on them. Dont go hunting through bushes in your £500 pound waterpoofs to find your £3 pound ball. I recently spent 500 on a new set of galvins for this winter and having read about people piercing there suits before ill not be going near any bushes whilst i am wearing mine.
So I assume if you had GG waterproofs on and hit it into trouble you'd simply play three off the tee and not search? Not much chance of winning many comps that way unless you never miss a fairway.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got a lot of GG stuff.
Some is excellent quality, some not so.

Had an issue with a insula jacket, was swapped out without issue.

In terms of the original question, both those pieces are from the edge range.
Which was launched this year as a more trendy / premium range.

Right up your street mate, the trendy geezer you are

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As silly as it sounds, I just bought an expensive waterproof jacket and wore it for the first time Saturday. I found myself apologising to my friends as I refused to go into places to search for balls where I never hesitated before. Over the years I have damaged clothing and myself quite a few times hunting for lost balls. I'm at a loss what to do now. I can't just look from the sidelines but I'm also not going in with a reasonable risk of tearing my jacket.

Only solution I see is to remove it and head on in...as stupid as it sounds. Other suggestions (sensible) welcome

Jimbop90

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you want a lightweight, breathable, flexible, oh and let's not forget *waterproof* jacket, it's not going to also be a suit of armour for when you're 3ft into a bush reaching for your PP's Top Flite with your driver.
You can't have it all ways.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Won't buy GG again. Had issues with GG and when paying £200 plus for a jacket a few years ago, I expected better from them. Talking to an ex captain at our place. He said GG will give a lifetime warranty as long as you hit you ball straight down the middle of the fairway. I asked him what he was on about. He said he had some GG trousers that were leaking like a sieve. Sent them to GG via club shop. The response came back that GG had put trousers under a microscope and found pin pricks in them ( from Hawthorne brushes when looking for balls) . He said they were talking rubbish and would never buy again. Totally agree with Marty B re fool and his money.

PS, this topic comes up every year on here re GG.

Likewise I sent a jacket back to GG and it was nothing other than a fight. They firstly told me I wasn't layering properly and it was sweat building up and the jacket wasn't leaking. I sent it back again then they claimed it was the zip that was faulty and replaced the jacket. They gave me a new jacket which was even worse. Saturated all down the front in any rain. GG again refused to admit it was faulty. I refused to take the jacket back, the upshot of which was it was sent directly to WL Gore in Livingston who "independently" tested it and found that it was indeed faulty. GG tried to give me another jacket which I refused. My Pro was decent enough just to get a credit back from GG and I bought another brand.

I will never buy GG products again. I have had a couple of presents but I certainly would never entertain them again ever.

Now own a Peak Performance jacket which is maybe 4 years possibly 5 years old now and it's never let me down. Also had a Zero Restriction jacket which despite being a touch heavier than my PP jacket was also excellent until someone decided to half inch it from a locker room!

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
Cannot agree with any of that at all. When I sent my jacket back through golf support, GG sent it back with some reproofing washing liquid. They never said there were any holes in it. They just said it wants reproofing. But the instructions they sent were in Danish, sweedish every Scandinavian country going. I was advised on here to use google translate. It said once washed to put it in the Oven to dry. Really. The point is there was no suggestion that there were any holes in the jacket coz there wasn't. I reproofed it ( without cooking it) and i still end up wet through.
Re looking for a £3 ball. Mines nearer £1.50, but if I am in a comp and my ball goes into the woods, I am looking for it whether I am in GG or Dunlops.

Thats not the service you would expect. At the very least there you would have expected them to do the reproofing if indeed that's all it needed.

So I assume if you had GG waterproofs on and hit it into trouble you'd simply play three off the tee and not search? Not much chance of winning many comps that way unless you never miss a fairway.

No not at all. I was in bushes on Sunday with my suit on. It wasnt thick bramble but i was well aware of the potential damage I could have caused to the clothing and trode carefully. If my ball did go into thick bramble and I seen it there and couldnt reach with a club then I'd either take the jacket off and reach in or just leave it depending on the mood and rain that day.

The visions I have and see with my playing partners, and have done myself, when your stomping away through all the trees and bushing looking for a ball with reckless abandonment. That carry on wont be happening while wearing £500 pound waterproofs. If you damage your suit by that kind of behaviour then by no means would I expect the manufacturer to replace the garment.

D

Deleted member 15344

Having a jacket ripped isn’t the fault of the manufacturer so should they really replace it free if it has ripped and affected the waterproof of the item

If you Scratch your car do people expect them to repair or replace it for nothing ?

If you smash the window should it be replaced for free ?

If the waterproofs have an issue due to a fault then yes the manufacturer should be culpable but as soon as there is a hole in the goretex then it’s going to have an issue and if that hole has been caused by something the manufacturer can’t control should they then be liable for a replacement ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Having a jacket ripped isn’t the fault of the manufacturer so should they really replace it free if it has ripped and affected the waterproof of the item

If you Scratch your car do people expect them to repair or replace it for nothing ?

If the waterproofs have an issue due to a fault then yes the manufacturer should be culpable but as soon as there is a hole in the goretex then it’s going to have an issue and if that hole has been caused by something the manufacturer can’t control should they then be liable for a replacement ?
Agree with what you are saying Phil but I think it is becoming clear there are differing levels of customer service between GG and the likes of UA. Obviously a huge profit margin in a £400 jacket so I'm sure GG can afford to replace the odd one FOC to maintain good reputation.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

I agree with some of what has been said and disagree with other points.

If the jacket has been ripped on a branch or something similar then I agree, not the manufacturers fault. If, however, we are talking holes caused by thorns that have to be picked up on a microscope then I think that there is an issue. If the material is so fragile that something like this can stop it being waterproof then the material is not appropriate for a golf waterproof.

I think that the car analogy is a wrong one as the example used is purely cosmetic, akin to the colour fading on a waterproof. I am sure that if the car being scratched by a branch or stone meant that you could not drive it, which is the correct analogy as that would be removing its main purpose, then you would expect the manufacturer to deal with it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Agree with what you are saying Phil but I think it is becoming clear there are differing levels of customer service between GG and the likes of UA. Obviously a huge profit margin in a £400 jacket so I'm sure GG can afford to replace the odd one FOC to maintain good reputation.

You see for me I don’t buy something on the back of their customer services - it’s the quality of the actual product. Their reputation isn’t based on the customer services it’s based on the quality of their waterproof/layer clothing which imo is the best you can buy - so I make sure i look after that product to ensure that I don’t need their customer services.

But to add a positive - I bought a pair of Alf trousers , leaked through a seam , they found an issue with the stitching and sent me a brand new pair

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
You see for me I don’t buy something on the back of their customer services - it’s the quality of the actual product. Their reputation isn’t based on the customer services it’s based on the quality of their waterproof/layer clothing which imo is the best you can buy - so I make sure i look after that product to ensure that I don’t need their customer services.

But to add a positive - I bought a pair of Alf trousers , leaked through a seam , they found an issue with the stitching and sent me a brand new pair

I buy on the basis of both, especially if there is a longer warranty or it is an item that I would expect to last quite a few years. I would expect any company manufacturing high end products to back that up with an equally high end level of customer service.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I absolutely detest the look of GoKart trolleys yet I would consider one when it comes to replacing my Motocaddy due to their reputation of great customer service!

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I own a few GG items. Mainly polos and midlayers.

My caveat is that I do not own any of the gortex, so can’t really comment.

What I will say is the insula gear is very good and breathable.

The quality of the polos is equal to a decent Nike or adidas one.

Not a patch on FJ or Oscar Jacobson in terms of build quality and durability. Obviously the style of a garment is very subjective to the owners eyes so should not be used as part of a marking system.

Cost is also a very relative term and if you can afford to pay upwards of 300 quid for waterproof top, then fill your boots.

for me personally, the added bonuses such as lifetime warranty are negated but the huge upfront cost.

That’s not me being against high end technical clothing. I own numerous high end Rab, montane, berghaus and Mammut walking / hiking gear.

In those harsh walking or mountain environments then you really are squeezing maximum value from your investment

A golf course is a far more benign environment and to be honest, the course would close due to being waterlogged before I felt I had the value of my GG waterproof.

You can get items that are 99% the quality of gg goretex for 30% of the price such as sunice, adidas and possibly FJ or UA.

In terms of value (which is a very different thing to price) GG will not win in majority of cases imo.

It’s just not be something I just could justify for golfing attire in a golfing environment.

Looks good though I suppose. Well most of it does.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Likewise I sent a jacket back to GG and it was nothing other than a fight. They firstly told me I wasn't layering properly and it was sweat building up and the jacket wasn't leaking. I sent it back again then they claimed it was the zip that was faulty and replaced the jacket. They gave me a new jacket which was even worse. Saturated all down the front in any rain. GG again refused to admit it was faulty. I refused to take the jacket back, the upshot of which was it was sent directly to WL Gore in Livingston who "independently" tested it and found that it was indeed faulty. GG tried to give me another jacket which I refused. My Pro was decent enough just to get a credit back from GG and I bought another brand.

I will never buy GG products again. I have had a couple of presents but I certainly would never entertain them again ever.

Now own a Peak Performance jacket which is maybe 4 years possibly 5 years old now and it's never let me down. Also had a Zero Restriction jacket which despite being a touch heavier than my PP jacket was also excellent until someone decided to half inch it from a locker room!

Just picked up the Peak Performance Contention jacket & trousers from Sports Pursuit for less than a GG jacket!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If the jacket has been ripped on a branch or something similar then I agree, not the manufacturers fault. If, however, we are talking holes caused by thorns that have to be picked up on a microscope then I think that there is an issue. If the material is so fragile that something like this can stop it being waterproof then the material is not appropriate for a golf waterproof.

A very good point and to a point I think its a little disappointing that GG would go to such lengths to try and prove user misuse. It makes me wonder how many returns they actually get, and how reliable the product (goretex) actually is if they opt to check each one before deciding on any form of replacement.