Galvin Green pricing

Grantley1988

Assistant Pro
Visit site
https://trendygolf.com/products/galvin-green-e-illusion-jacket-iron-grey-black-aw18

https://trendygolf.com/products/galvin-green-axel-gore-tex-stretch-c-knit-pant-black-ss18

This jacket is priced at £449 and the trousers £369. I’m curious to see why there is such a price hike compared to the rest of the Galvin Green range. Can anyone explain why this might be? The items features are not too dissimilar from the rest of there range. So why the huge price difference?

My waterproofs are Galvin Green and I’m not doubting the quality but I’m sure I spent around £150 for a paclite jacket and similar for the trousers. Random question but hopefully someone will explain things.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They will charge what people will pay. Totally takes the pee I reckon, no way the materials, manufacture or research costs can justify that price. It’s like when goretex hiking gear first came out and manufactures seemed to double their prices overnight. A fool and his money are soon parted!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Won't buy GG again. Had issues with GG and when paying £200 plus for a jacket a few years ago, I expected better from them. Talking to an ex captain at our place. He said GG will give a lifetime warranty as long as you hit you ball straight down the middle of the fairway. I asked him what he was on about. He said he had some GG trousers that were leaking like a sieve. Sent them to GG via club shop. The response came back that GG had put trousers under a microscope and found pin pricks in them ( from Hawthorne brushes when looking for balls) . He said they were talking rubbish and would never buy again. Totally agree with Marty B re fool and his money.

PS, this topic comes up every year on here re GG.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think the first thing is you have prob gone for the most expensive item on a website that is full of labels - so that item of GG will be more about the look and name and will targeted towards the guys that like the rich items - and some will pay it - read the info and they have it as their top of the range item - same with the trousers. I have no doubt that it is a very good jacket , it will be breathable and won’t restrict you but it’s the same with cars - some companies will charge a lot more just because of the badge

But you don’t have to pay that sort of money even if you want a GG jacket and trousers - just go to F18 and they have loads of GG and at decent prices

D

Deleted member 17920

Seeing Galvin Green prices at the Ryder cup shop was an eye opener 😂

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Gore Tex C-Knit is very good kit, I had a Patagonia walking/climbing jacket make of it. its light, doesn't get blocked up and stretches better. Though I wouldn't pay the prices GG want for it, the trousers would be fairly pointless as I find my legs don't sweat much and so high end gore tex is not needed.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Won't buy GG again. Had issues with GG and when paying £200 plus for a jacket a few years ago, I expected better from them. Talking to an ex captain at our place. He said GG will give a lifetime warranty as long as you hit you ball straight down the middle of the fairway. I asked him what he was on about. He said he had some GG trousers that were leaking like a sieve. Sent them to GG via club shop. The response came back that GG had put trousers under a microscope and found pin pricks in them ( from Hawthorne brushes when looking for balls) . He said they were talking rubbish and would never buy again. Totally agree with Marty B re fool and his money.

I had the same issue with a GG jacket a few years back. Also leaking like a sieve, sent back, they said it was due to a snag from a bush. They patched it with a heat sealed, but guess what, still leaked .... Swore never to buy GG again. Since then, I've struggled to find good waterproofs, tried Sunderland, Sunice and UA, all good in light rain (as was the GG), but always seem to come in a bit wet in heavy rain. I have recently bitten my lip and bought a new GG top (on sale £110). The couple of times I've needed it, I have been dry, but haven't worn it near any bushes yet......

dronfield

Visit site
I have bought GG base layers/ jumpers in sales and they have been ok, but no better imo than other brands - but they do seem to hold their value should you want to sell them on Ebay.
Re waterproofs, someone i know caught their jacket on a thorn and GG repaired it for free.
A couple of weeks ago a mate and me played in horrendous rain/wind - the rain came through both my Footjoy tour waterproofs & his GGs - due to the lifetime warranty he contacted GG to complain and they stated that when he washed them he should always tumble dry and then iron them to enhance their waterproofness.
I guess the lifetime warranty is a good selling point and contributes to the high price - would imagine a lot of people also wear theirs for walking, watching sport etc rather than just golf.
Rich

D

Deleted Member 1156

Exactly the same issue with my GG trousers, poor response from GG. I spoke to someone at my club that also had the same issue with his so he bought UA goretex trousers. Had to send them back for the same reason and they replaced them no questions asked! So I've done the same and bought a pair of UA.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
You cant buy waterproofs and pierce them and expect them to be replaced just because you spent a lot of money on them. Dont go hunting through bushes in your £500 pound waterpoofs to find your £3 pound ball. I recently spent 500 on a new set of galvins for this winter and having read about people piercing there suits before ill not be going near any bushes whilst i am wearing mine.

D

Deleted Member 1156

You cant buy waterproofs and pierce them and expect them to be replaced just because you spent a lot of money on them. Dont go hunting through bushes in your £500 pound waterpoofs to find your £3 pound ball. I recently spent 500 on a new set of galvins for this winter and having read about people piercing there suits before ill not be going near any bushes whilst i am wearing mine.
True. But UA do replace them whereas GG don't and guess which brand is more expensive.....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why on earth would you buy £500 waterproofs that aren't even fit for their practical purpose then? Any decent golfwear must be hard-wearing enough to withstand rubbing against some bushes every once in a while, or else what the hell are you paying for?

Galvin Green seems a bit like PXG for me, sure it's great gear but it can't be great enough to be so much more expensive than anything else. You could pay half the price for something else, which is still expensive, but it'd be just as good. There are plenty of makes out there.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why on earth would you buy £500 waterproofs that aren't even fit for their practical purpose then? Any decent golfwear must be hard-wearing enough to withstand rubbing against some bushes every once in a while, or else what the hell are you paying for?

Galvin Green seems a bit like PXG for me, sure it's great gear but it can't be great enough to be so much more expensive than anything else. You could pay half the price for something else, which is still expensive, but it'd be just as good. There are plenty of makes out there.
Have to agree with this. Do not care about the price. people will pay what they want to and some will see the price as acceptable but the performance is another issue. Golf gear does need to be able to stand up to playing shots from less than friendly places. if it cannot do that then, in my eyes, it is not fit for purpose.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
There is not a garment on the shelves in any golf store that would enable you to walk through the bushes with the sharp bits and not be pierced or torn.

If UA do replace for that reason then that is good customer service. I certainly wouldn't expect it from any manufacture. It does raise the question on how many times could one destroy their jackets this way and have it replaced on a single purchase?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Cannot agree with any of that at all. When I sent my jacket back through golf support, GG sent it back with some reproofing washing liquid. They never said there were any holes in it. They just said it wants reproofing. But the instructions they sent were in Danish, sweedish every Scandinavian country going. I was advised on here to use google translate. It said once washed to put it in the Oven to dry. Really. The point is there was no suggestion that there were any holes in the jacket coz there wasn't. I reproofed it ( without cooking it) and i still end up wet through.
Re looking for a £3 ball. Mines nearer £1.50, but if I am in a comp and my ball goes into the woods, I am looking for it whether I am in GG or Dunlops.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wouldn't buy GG as I feel there are other brands on the market while not Gore-Tex do a great job and keep you driy and in particular FJ and Proquip. I've had a set of each for many seasons and still no issues with leakage and at a price much easier on the wallet

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Got a lot of GG stuff.
Some is excellent quality, some not so.

Had an issue with a insula jacket, was swapped out without issue.

In terms of the original question, both those pieces are from the edge range.
Which was launched this year as a more trendy / premium range.