Fusarium and time it takes to grow out?

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Our course has been suffering since last autum with fusarium. At the moment we have no communication with the greenkeepers but the general rumour is people saying we need the warm weather to arrive for it to grow out.

We now look to have some decent temps so does anyone know how long this does take to grow out?

Anyone else's club suffering after the draught last year?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The damage to our riverside greens has been pretty extensive this year because it has been so mild and wet.

On the course we have lots of totally bare areas due to last summers weather we have had an overseed programme and it will be interesting to see how well it works.

User20204

Visit site
The biggest issue greenkeepers of parkland courses have now is the fact that a number of fertilizers (sp?) have been banned that they used to use to combat it. I'm not that knowledgeable but my understanding is it's due to the cold and dampness of winter and given it's been absolutely baltic recently and no growth whatsoever I suspect many courses are suffering, our greens for example are terrible and have been for at least a month now.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
The biggest issue greenkeepers of parkland courses have now is the fact that a number of fertilizers (sp?) have been banned that they used to use to combat it. I'm not that knowledgeable but my understanding is it's due to the cold and dampness of winter and given it's been absolutely baltic recently and no growth whatsoever I suspect many courses are suffering, our greens for example are terrible and have been for at least a month now.

It's fungicides that are being withdrawn , two more go on 19/6/19 but you can use them up until 19/3/20
CONDITIONS THAT FAVOUR FUSARIUM PATCH DISEASE
• Humid atmosphere, and/or moist turf surface.
• A rise in turf/soil pH. • Excessive nitrogen fertility.
• Mis-timing of nitrogen fertiliser application.
• Turf that contains a high proportion of susceptible grass.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A few of our greens are suffering but in truth they are putting better than they look right now. Does anyone know the situation regarding fertilisers once we leave the EU. Will be able to use more (responsibly) fertilisers around the course to battle these sort of diseases

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
A few of our greens are suffering but in truth they are putting better than they look right now. Does anyone know the situation regarding fertilisers once we leave the EU. Will be able to use more (responsibly) fertilisers around the course to battle these sort of diseases
It's not fertilisers Homer but Fungicides and ones with an old chemistry , good article on the issue here

https://www.bigga.org.uk/news-listing/propiconazole-withdrawal-what-does-it-mean.html

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
There aren't any , Syngenta is launching one in the Spring but that's about it . We are going to have less reliant on chemicals and adopt a more cultural control. No doubt but tough times ahead :(

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
In order for the grass to "grow out" we need soil temperatures to rise. We may have had periods of warm weather over the past 2 months or so, but they've not lasted long enough for significant soil temperature rise. We're now late enougn into the season for things to be getting better though.

As to herbicides/fungicides/pesticides - don't expect any significant changes when (if?) we leave the EU. If something is banned now, the professional concensus is that it is likely to remain so after our departure.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There aren't any , Syngenta is launching one in the Spring but that's about it . We are going to have less reliant on chemicals and adopt a more cultural control. No doubt but tough times ahead :(
Surely Brexit hasn't stopped/won't stop the availability of anti-fungicides; merely added somewhat to the cost of them?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Agree. A couple of our worse affected fairways from last year are still struggling. I know the green staff want to do more work but they need the warmth AND rain to get the growth going again.
I think that's pretty 'universal' currently. Distinctly unusual conditions in the last month or so. Definitely in need of some rain (overnight; during the week, but not weekends! ;)).

As for the original question... UpsideDown is probably the best source of info. However...... My old club got caught with problems on a few greens some years ago - the fusarium did quite a bit of damage on a few greens while the were covered with snow. It took a couple of years before the affected areas were back to normal again.

Last edited:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely Brexit hasn't stopped/won't stop the availability of anti-fungicides; merely added somewhat to the cost of them?
This isn't a Brexit thing , the process that has ultimately ended in the chemicals being banned started in 2015 by the EU Commission with full UK Gov backing, full explanation in the article I linked above. This also affects farming in a big way too :(

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Independently of the EU itself, many European countries had banned the use use of chemical fertilizers, herbicides and fungicides years ago.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
This isn't a Brexit thing , the process that has ultimately ended in the chemicals being banned started in 2015 by the EU Commission with full UK Gov backing, full explanation in the article I linked above. This also affects farming in a big way too :(
Ah, thanks. Though it highlights another of the bodies UK will have to either attach itself to or replace - which, giving that farming is involved, I'm sure it has 'on the list'! Btw... Anti-fungicide wouldn't do the job, would it! Oops! :rolleyes:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agree. A couple of our worse affected fairways from last year are still struggling. I know the green staff want to do more work but they need the warmth AND rain to get the growth going again.

The effort to move to modern pest/fungal etc control is and should be a global effort, those products need to go!

As the EU moves to ban older products then the UK will likely move with them after any exit from the union. It is just good environmental sense.

Having worked in the industry, nothing breeds innovation like the threat of a ban! The newer products from the big agrochemical companies are super well designed. They make the older products look like you just burnt it all and hoped for the best.