Funny things you have seen on the course

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
The tears of laughter thread in the rules forum got me thinking about the things that have made me laugh on the course recently, I have had a couple recently.

I was playing with one girl who was short of the green down a slope, so she left her trolley at the top and went down to play her shot and promptly hit her trolley with the ball, I was having a little chuckle at this when I turned to watch someone playing a shot on an adjacent hole. They were playing off a downhill lie, swung, missed the ball, their feet went and they finished up on their a**e. Seeing that whilst already chuckling, I just fell apart laughing.

Also last week I was playing a winter league matchplay when my opponent hit a low hard shot over a hazard, the ball hit the yellow lost, flew up into the air and over into the middle of a load of bushes, I tried no to laugh as it was a match but I did find it funny.

I am sure there are lots of things seen, so let have them.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing as a fourball, one PP leathers his drive into a tree and ball rebounds straight back into his delicates. Four people collapse on ground with tears in their eyes. Only three through laughter. It's a bloke thing...

Also, playing at Oostburg (Holland) there's one hole with an (almost) island green. One of the guys, with brand new bag and brand new clubs, is so intent on the result of his approach shot - 2ft for birdie - leaves his trolley on the fringe, oblivious of the slope towards the water. The inevitable happens. Trolley trundles slowly down the slope. I manage to grab the handle just as trolley bumps into the raised timber edging. Trolley is a hired one with no straps. Bag leaves trolley and does complete somersault into lake and slowly drifts out. Just managed to hook it with a driver before it sank. Not so much the bag in water that made us cry, but more the graceful slow motion cartwheel on its way in

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Two consecutive forum members hitting a bin (I think) off a tee at a forum meet (Forget who, when and where but one PP was Murph).

Old Bobs 9 iron beauty :D

Myself at an air shot in a match, thankfully we still won. Never did live that one down!

FC wrapping his 8 iron round a tree at 4 down in a match.

nta73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A mate of mine walking down a steep hill( the 7th hole at Hartford, Northwich) with his trolley in front of him, the front of the trolley digs in and sends him straight over the handle bars! clubs all come out of the bag, mate flat out on the deck! laughing as i type! i cant walk down that hole now without a little chuckle to myself;)

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The funniest thing I've ever seen? Was at my own expense....

I bought a trolley a year or two ago (first one I'd ever bought). It was only a cheapish one, £30.

Anyway, first round I took it out, got to the 18th tee, and it was a fair walk back on yourself to the tee, so I left my trolley further up and just took my fairway wood with me. You can guess what I managed to hit....

You guessed it, the trolley! I topped my tee shot straight into one of the buckles that was holding my bag on. My bag fell off the trolley and the buckle snapped.

I saw the funny side to it, as did my playing partner.

And I've never used a trolley since....

BLOODY TROLLEYS!!!!!! :sbox:

adiemel

Head Pro
Visit site
Funniest things I have ever seen have both happened to me whilst playing. They were both on the 6 hole course at Pidley where I play.

The first one my friend and I were just on the 2nd tee my friend teed off, I said look there is a bull on the road bent down to to tee up my ball when the bull charge the on to the tee area my friend runs off down the fairway I sprint across the tee box and jump the fence stand in a scrub area with this bull looking over the fence at me. frantic phone to call to wife to phone the pro shop who called the farmer. After 5 minutes farmer had the bull back in its field we continued our game but scoring went to pot.

Next one was just about to play a shot on to the green on the four when a hot air balloon game down hitting the trees behind us and landing on the tee area of the four hole.

Steve Coll

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On a local municipal I've witnessed someone sky a ball of a very high tee shot and the ball spin back and land in a bin 15 yards behind the tee marker- the poor lad just picked his bag up and walked to the next hole.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A few years ago in an open comp we got to the last tee and the group in front were just teeing off. It was.a par 3 with a island green and OOB down the right side towards the old pro shop and the club house. One of the players sliced his tee shot over the protective fencing towards the pro and a group of players who were chatting outside the shop. Everyone shouted fore but as the ball landed it hit an electric trolley and turned the off switch to on and the trolley shot off up the car park. The players on the tee were in stitches but the pro was not impressed.

olffy

Visit site
Iv seen a squirrel run off with a ball once..... though I think it was squirrel and not just a very small person who came running down a tree.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Mate was having a mare and getting more and more wound up. Got to one whole and he clearly wanted to leather it. He swung so hard and fast he literally swung himself off his feet. I couldn't move for five minutes and it definitely didn't help his overall well being

seasidehacker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A friend of mine once sliced his ball right in to the woods. He picked his bag up and walked in to them. After a minute we heard a mighty "fxxx off" and out fell my friend and his bag along with a bird attacking him as he had obviously got too close to a nest. My ribs hurt just thinking about that.

Last edited:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
about 10-12 years ago I was out enjoying a round with my best friend and our dads. we get to a par 3 about 140 yards over water. 3 tee shots safely find the green. Up steps my friend dad saying "oh no pressure then" and proceeds to hit a 7 iron towards the green only to hit the overhead power line and drop into the pond. the customary chuckling started along with a "I don't fcuking believe it!" from my friends dad. anyway he re-teed and proceeded to sit his 7 iron which once again hit the power line and fell, in almost the exact same spot as his first shot!

at this point there were 3 golfers doubled up in laughter and one swearing and cursing. needless to say he gave up on that hole!

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think i've mentioned this on here before but was at a local 9 hole course and whilst i was on the 5th fairway, a bloke was playing the adjacent 6th but had hooked his drive onto the 5th fairway.

Offering the hand wave, i let him play first. His PSR was quite a long one, then he stepped back, approached the ball again and did the same PSR. He then skulled the ball no higher than a foot off the ground but was travelling very fast. His next words had me creased in laughter

'come on ball, be right...be right'

It didnt make the green, but he shouted to his PP on the 6th fairway, 'i was a club out there'

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
We used to have a chap play with us regular (All work together) and his short game was/is rank!

Stood about 30 yards from the green, decided to take his 60° wedge and 'flop' the ball onto the green.

He took an almighty swing at the ball, which promptly disappeared.

Were all, including him, looking at the green waiting for the ball to land. After a second or two, when it hadn't we all started to look at each other.

Turns out, he hit the ground about 8" behind the ball and the divot had curled over and covered his ball.

After gently peeling back the divot off the ball, it turns out his ball never even moved :mad:

He still gets a gentle reminder of it on works society days :D

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My wife having an argument with Camillo Villegas at Turnberry because he didnt put a banana skin in the bin. She had a right go at him, called him a bad word and got moved on by a steward.

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Team of three players on the 1st tee at Calcot Park playing a yellow ball format. They discuss each hole, strategy, who should play on which holes and where they get shots. Eventually they decide on the order of play. First guy takes the yellow ball, tees it up and hooks it 100 yards left and out of bounds.

Everyone else waiting to tee off needed gas and air to recover from laughing so hard.