Full handicap difference in betterball is rubbish!!

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have just got back from a friendly game in which our opponents insisted on full handicap difference in a betterball. I very nearly said that as a 6-handicapper you might as well empty my wallet now and would you like my online banking details too while you're at it?
When will these people learn that full allowance is ridiculous in pairs games, where your individual handicap has to be moderated in some way as there are two of you playing and other than in freak matches you should end up comfortably beating your handicaps between the two of you.
I will be viewing the ensuing 2-down defeat as a moral victory!

Hoppy

Club Champion
Visit site
I do agree with you even though I'm a 28 handicaper and have a lot more shots to loose, my club usually pairs a low and a high handicaper and plays 20 to 25% of the total, this nearly always works out that all the pairs finish within max 3 to 4 shots of each other. The last match I finished 2nd by 0.6. It was a scramble and we had to have 6 drives each, it was a lot fairer and more enjoyable.

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
a few years ago my club changed from 3/4 difference to full in the individual matchplay trophy and a lot of the better golfers got the right hump - as a 12 handicapper it isn't so bad for me - but one of my mates a 6 handicapper got given a dog licence (7&6) by some fella off 22 and we have never heard the end of it!

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
Rubbish- I would refuse to play full allowance it’s the same as stableford- High handicappers already get a huge advantage because there big numbers don’t count against them as much. I had a similar debate with some mates on Saturday-after the rain reduced our round to nine holes we decided to play a 5 ball skins, the higher handicappers wanted shots-after much debate we played off scratch and the skins were shared fairly evenly. Full allowance is for stroke play nothing else!!