Fujikura Atmos 7R Shaft - Seven Wood Length, Regular

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apologies Patrick, PM sent.

Come to think of it, if I just swap the grips for one that doesn't have the Arcos thingy at the end, that'll make the clubs a quarter of an inch shorter already won't it? i.e. if I put the 5 wood shaft in my 7 wood, change the grip as mentioned, just grip down a fraction it might be fine like that. Then grab the 3 wood shaft for my 5 wood and do the same. :unsure:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apologies Patrick, PM sent.

Come to think of it, if I just swap the grips for one that doesn't have the Arcos thingy at the end, that'll make the clubs a quarter of an inch shorter already won't it? i.e. if I put the 5 wood shaft in my 7 wood, change the grip as mentioned, just grip down a fraction it might be fine like that. Then grab the 3 wood shaft for my 5 wood and do the same. :unsure:

Shaft needs shortened from the tip end (top trimmed) to flex correctly in the given wood. For Fujikura 3w is no trim, 5w is 0.5” and 7w is 1”.

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You butt trim to length - butt trimming does not influence flex or the playing characteristics of the shaft.

Tip trimming is different - keeeping it simple, it can stiffen up the shaft and change its playing characteristics.

The weight of the head also influences flex, in that a heavier head influences the shaft more than a lighter head. Acccordingly, as head weight increases (e.g. a 5 wood head is heavier than a driver head), manufacturers recommend tipping the shaft.

The reality is that us mere mortals would not really be able to feel if a shaft were tip trimmed a quarter or half inch. When you get to one to two inches, then yes it can be noticeable. However, rather interestingly, despite shaft manufacturer recommendations, TM tip trims their aftermarket driver shafts by an inch as standard I believe (although I expect you can explicitly request otherwise).

If you are replacing shaft a with b, whereby the two shafts are the same shaft and the same length but one is tip trimmed an additional half inch, I bet you £5 that you wouldn’t even notice the difference.

Last edited: