Front Door

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Currently we have a bland white UPVC front door.. it does the job.
Wll be embarking on some front extension work which means, we have the opportunity to change it. The front windows have been changed to anthracite grey. Seems to be a minefield of choice out there - a bit like buying a new driver. . I am partial to a wood solid oak door. Mrs not much in favour as there is no other 'wood' colour in the front of the house. Door glazing and ironmongery choice is wide too. With the extension, we have the gift to design as wide and framed as we want. Any tips welcome..

What does your front door say about you?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My double glazed PVC door which replaced a thick solid wood door says I want to keep the draughts out and also let more light in.

Plenty of PVC doors out there which look like wood judging by what some neighbours installed.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Composite doors seemed to be the best option when we bought a few years ago. You are limited to a max width on a single door so if you want some grandiose statement door its probably not the best option (or you have double doors and/or panels to the sides). Personally prefer a bright door colour thats different from those nearby

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you going to go standard key or keypad? When we eventually change ours I am going to go with a keypad. I've used them on multiple holiday stays and they make life so much easier. Worth thinking about.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had not considered the composites.. so something to look at. I am boring, so choice of colour was going to be Wood/Oak, Black (#10), Antracite Grey (to match windowns). Was planning to put some panels
This s my version of a front door wet dream.. Unfortunately, i don't live in a house like this nor do i have this kind of budget
https://www.urbanfront.com/

Are you going to go standard key or keypad? When we eventually change ours I am going to go with a keypad. I've used them on multiple holiday stays and they make life so much easier. Worth thinking about.

I like the line of thinking, but probably not. Same with Smart locks.. call me paranoid but i work in tech.
Which brings this to mind...

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Composite all the way nowadays, no one really gets upvc doors as a replacement anymore.
I have one in "pebble" looks great and really solid.
As already said, you can have just about any colour you want now, I'm pretty sure they do wood colours as well but woodgrain upvc aren't really that popular at the minute.
Have a look at the Door Stop or Virtuoso (I've just installed 2 machining centres there ?) websites to get an idea of what is available ?