From The Editor?

beau d.

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Firstly It has been a while since I posted, so I apologise in advance for returning with what may be a controvertial thread..... That is my opposition to the constant infatuation with changing our Wonderful game. I would also like to apologise to the Editor Michael Harris as I am not trying to make a personal attack towards him but I am worried about where his April contribution is hoping to take the game, my love and passion for our fantastic sport, I hope justifies me in what I am posting.
So here we go....., The statement in his Editors article "golf just doesn't offer enough fun" I do not understand, especialy when it comes from the CEO of Taylor Made and two heavyweights of US golf...... Well sorry I simply do not agree, I just can't wait every time I play to tee it up at my home or any away course, for the fun i'm about to have, the frustration i'm going to endure, the challenge I am about to face to play my best and shoot my best ever score, the company of the friends I am about to play with and do battle against gives me such a buzz I only ever experience participating in this great game we play. So apologies to the big three but it's time to seek pastures new in search of a sport or hobby that "does offer you more fun".
Then we have the constant obsession by a small minority in a position to make themselves heard asking "what we have to do to make our game more popular" and to "enlist the masses", even if it means loosing the integrity of the game so it can survive. I am sorry I just don't see that either. The history, Honour and Integrity of the game are the game, it's essential it is preserved as it is, Essential! If we have to look to HackGolf.org we have reached desperation, their name alone, set aside what the Editor states does put me off straight away, why do they think turning the game into some kind of a Circus will ever save it, it will mearly change the people who participate. For every new recruit one golf die hard such as myself will be sadly leaving the game we love, when we have to stand on the first tee, mobile phone in hand in a pair of ripped denims with a cannon or the likes to propel the ball up the fairway instead of our trusty driver, or whatever wonderful solution HackGolf.org arrives at to address the curent dilema golf finds itself in. The truth is we are in a recession, we have been before, we will be again. Golfers nor golf clubs should not be complacent, they should and are doing everything they can to keep open and affordable every golf course possible, there is no more fat to trim at Golf Clubs Mr Editor, Clubs are doing there best to survive, but at the same time doing their best to keep the game as it is, as it always was, because that is Golf. My final point, how can we help the game survive as is?. Well here is a suggestion to the big three (and the likes, namely golf club, equipment and clothing manufacturers) the editor was discussing the games dilema with...... Start and plough some of your massive profits back into the game at golf club level instead of lining your own, your shareholders and even tour players pockets. You can't tell me these institutions couldn't afford to give back to golf at it's grass roots a percentage of the profit they make for instance on a driver for which they charge £300+ which costs around £25 to manufacture? after all it's in their interest, if the game does continue to decline so will their ability to print money! So come on Michael Harris (Editor) please don't take offence to my post, let's start a campaign towards my final point above, you are in a wonderful position to make yourself heard and do something to really save our game as it is, that is unless you are like the big three at "For The Love Of The Game" who feel that "Golf just isn't enough fun" as it is, which after reading many of your articles I don't believe for a single minute.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Re: From The Edito

Wow that's a big blob ! Sorry but that is unreadable

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Gave up reading after the fifteenth #39

No idea what#39 means but way to big to comprehend but I'm surmising you are against the TM led initative to make golf quicker but also get more people involved

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Beau.d maybe edit your post and break it down into paragraphs so people can read it with more ease. Also bear in mind that not everybody on the forum will have read the Editors note in the magazine, so they wont know what is your text and what belongs to the Editors note from the mag.

Also give you chance to remove the mistakes that are in there due to the apostrophe not being included in your text.

I for one look forward to your post that I can read and understand. At least we know why Michael qualifies as an Editor and not you :D

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm guessing he has a problem with his keyboard

beau d.

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Apologies it is not meant to be a rant, well I suppose it is. What on earth has happened to apostrophies and quote marks etc I don't know. I have attempted to edit the mistakes without sucsess. Hope you can get the gist of my post.

D

Deleted member 15344

Apologies it is not meant to be a rant, well I suppose it is. What on earth has happened to apostrophies and quote marks etc I don't know. I have attempted to edit the mistakes without sucsess. Hope you can get the gist of my post.

Can you try and form some paragraphs as well !

beau d.

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I do not think it is my laptop as it is brand new hence my absence from the forum, but who knows could be some weird setting. I will atempt to try and make my post more readable.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
My attempt at edit ha, apologies if i have inadvertantly [sp] changed what you meant

Firstly It has been a while since I posted, so I apologise in advance for returning with what may be a controvertial thread..... That is my opposition to the constant infatuation with changing our Wonderful game. I would also like to apologise to the Editor Michael Harris as I am not trying to make a personal attack towards him but I am worried about where his April contribution is hoping to take the game, my love and passion for our fantastic sport, I hope justifies me in what I am posting.

So here we go....., The statement in his Editors article "golf just doesn't offer enough fun" I do not understand, especialy when it comes from the CEO of Taylor Made and two heavyweights of US golf...... Well sorry I simply do not agree, I just can't wait every time I play to tee it up at my home or any away course, for the fun i'm about to have, the frustration i'm going to endure, the challenge I am about to face to play my best and shoot my best ever score, the company of the friends I am about to play with and do battle against gives me such a buzz I only ever experience participating in this great game we play. So apologies to the big three but it's time to seek pastures new in search of a sport or hobby that ";does offer you more fun".

Then we have the constant obsession by a small minority in a position to make themselves heard asking "what we have to do to make our game more popular" and to "enlist the masses", even if it means loosing the integrity of the game so it can survive. I am sorry I just don't see that either.

The history, Honour and Integrity of the game are the game, it's essential it is preserved as it is, Essential! If we have to look to HackGolf.org we have reached desperation, their name alone, set aside what the Editor states does put me off straight away, why do they think turning the game into some kind of a Circus will ever save it, it will mearly change the people who participate.

For every new recruit one golf die hard such as myself will be sadly leaving the game we love, when we have to stand on the first tee, mobile phone in hand in a pair of ripped denims with a cannon or the likes to propel the ball up the fairway instead of our trusty driver, or whatever wonderful solution HackGolf.org arrives at to address the curent dilema golf finds itself in. The truth is we are in a recession, we have been before, we will be again. Golfers nor golf clubs should not be complacent, they should and are doing everything they can to keep open and affordable every golf course possible, there is no more fat to trim at Golf Clubs Mr Editor, Clubs are doing there best to survive, but at the same time doing their best to keep the game as it is, as it always was, because that is Golf.

My final point, how can we help the game survive as is?. Well here is a suggestion to the big three (and the likes, namely golf club, equipment and clothing manufacturers) the editor was discussing the games dilema with...... Start and plough some of your massive profits back into the game at golf club level instead of lining your own, your shareholders and even tour players pockets.

You can't tell me these institutions couldn't afford to give back to golf at it's grass roots a percentage of the profit they make for instance on a driver for which they charge £300+ which costs around £25 to manufacture? after all it's in their interest, if the game does continue to decline so will their ability to print money! So come on Michael Harris (Editor) please don't take offence to my post, let's start a campaign towards my final point above, you are in a wonderful position to make yourself heard and do something to really save our game as it is, that is unless you are like the big three at "For The Love Of The Game" who feel that "Golf just isn't enough fun" as it is, which after reading many of your articles I don't believe for a single minute.

Last edited:

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not a bad post to be fair, I cant help but feel as though the big companies should start plowing a bit back into the game.

beau d.

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thank you Bladeplayer, I have tried but sadly I was timed out as you can only edit a post up to 20 mins from posting..... What a to do.