Friendliest courses

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Royal Liverpool - county card rate (so not even full whack) but welcomed every one on entering, friendly staff and starter, and when we came back Louise kindly prompted us to look round all the clubhouse talking us through what happens after the open, where Tiger sat to sign the picture in the clubhouse etc.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Another one for Royal Liverpool, probably the friendliest clubhouse I’ve been in.
Always had a warm welcome at North Berwick and Silloth.
Honourable mention to all of the St Andrews links courses.

D

Deleted member 21258

Always had a great welcome from Bude but Holsworthy were top drawer. Biblical rain when we played and came off after 9. They offered another round but we were coming home so they gave us all free burger and chips and a free beer.

That's superb, going over and beyond what is expected.(y)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That's superb, going over and beyond what is expected.(y)

They were absolutely top drawer. Had a great chat with the members in the bar and a really warm wlecome. Similarly whenever I play Bude their members are really welcoming to visitors and their bar staff really good.

I think I should have included Sunningdale (but there again I know Pat, the Irish starter we had and Angie who was running the restaurant when we there) but it is a club that never seems as stuffy as you'd expect it. Also I thing we should recognise what the staff and members did for us at Tandridge for H4H and the way they set the course up, gave up their playing rights for the day and looked after us, going over and above to look after the drama queen out who got his food stuck

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I found myself in Devon for a few days a few years back.
Intended to play 2 or 3 courses but, having played Ilfracombe first, I just played there three times.
The welcome was absolutely 1st class and, if in that neck of the woods again, would play there in a heart beat.

Glad to hear that. Only time I went there I asked for a round and was greeted with "You're not going to rip the course to pieces are you Sir?"
Should have walked away, but I convinced him I was an experienced player.
Then on the course as I was walking to the green the green keeper working there knocked my ball of the green.

I'll give a mention to Knighton, Powys. First time I went there was on a Saturday. Some guys were standing on the 1st tee and they invited me to join them. So I got to play with the captain and the secretary.
I've learned since they always try and give visitors a warm welcome. If there's nobody at the bar there's an honesty box. Only 9 holes but real golf in great scenery.

sunshine

Visit site
I've found overwhelmingly friendly welcomes everywhere I go. Ones that stood out:
North Berwick, Royal Cinq Ports, the Berkshire, Pennard.

And the flip side, I could only think of one club where I felt unwelcome:
Northwood

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've always found Bellshill Golf Club a top place to visit. There's usually an auld'ish fella wandering around looking a bit bemused who'll always ask if you want to join him for a knock ;)

To be honest I've never really had a poor welcome at a golf club...

I guess it was well decent that Southerness gave me back my green fee when my mate and I played there last year and after 5 holes walked in utterly drenched by a horizontal 'downpour' (if there can be such a thing).

I also got a great welcome and joined a roll-up and had a lovely knock with some members when I popped along to Chesterfield (Walton) Golf Club last summer. They might find me joining as a Country Member if they are not careful.

Last edited:

User20204

Visit site
Just to throw this out there, I've only received a poor reception at one course I've been to, Carnalea in Bangor NI, I think 20 of us playing was just a total inconvenience to the pro as he had to take in green fees and issue out trolleys. Very average course as well as it happens.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another one for Royal Liverpool, probably the friendliest clubhouse I’ve been in.
Always had a warm welcome at North Berwick and Silloth.
Honourable mention to all of the St Andrews links courses.
the single best breakfast roll ever too

Huge Cumberland sausage, bacon, black pud and a runny egg on a barm cake / roll / bap / cob / other colloquialism

Plus free brews

heaven

underrated course IMO.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just to throw this out there, I've only received a poor reception at one course I've been to, Carnalea in Bangor NI, I think 20 of us playing was just a total inconvenience to the pro as he had to take in green fees and issue out trolleys. Very average course as well as it happens.

Some clubs have a culture of openness and welcoming, but others are reliant on certain individuals and some of them can be very different in their approach. Take RSG for example. The pro is far from welcoming, a bit like your description of the course in Bangor and to the point of being a grumpy/rude man, but then inside the clubhouse and on the 1st tee I've always received a warm welcome from all. On the flipside, RCP is listed by a few as being friendly and I would agree the pro is superb and the welcome by the staff in the bar is the same, but I once approached the office and spoke to someone about membership a few years back...……...you would have thought I was asking to go for a leak on the carpet in the corner of the office!!

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Wrangaton GC in South Devon, very friendly, down to earth club.
Churston GC when Ray Reardon was Captain and there all the time. What a gent, made all visiting golfers feel really welcome.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've always found Bellshill Golf Club a top place to visit. There's usually an auld'ish fella wandering around looking a bit bemused who'll always ask if you want to join him for a knock ;)

To be honest I've never really had a poor welcome at a golf club...

I guess it was well decent that Southerness gave me back my green fee when my mate and I played there last year and after 5 holes walked in utterly drenched by a horizontal 'downpour' (if there can be such a thing).

I also got a great welcome and joined a roll-up and had a lovely knock with some members when I popped along to Chesterfield (Walton) Golf Club last summer. They might find me joining as a Country Member if they are not careful.
You're always welcome at Bellshill old pal, anyone who fancies a game just give me a shout, i'm usually available (y)